PDA

View Full Version : Story sack questions

Mcgons
23-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm gathering bits to do my own but just not sure what to do with:

Books - do I use the ones my own kids have and I generally keep seperate at the mo and just bring out to read every now and then, or do I buy new ones for the minded kids to use? Most have been passed down to my dd now and she's with me all day so was thinking if they got bashed I'd just replace her with new ones? (classic books like hungry caterpillar, gruffalo etc). Board books are more robust and smaller, would these be good to buy?

Bags - am I ok to use a bag with a small drawstring around the top so stuff doesn't fall out or has anyone been pulled up on this by Ofsted? Also would you get cream plain ones or coloured - thinking of using the iron on paper too with pic on.

Sorry for all the questions, just having a really indecisive day!

donnagwynne
23-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a duplicate book in my storysack. I made a Hungry Caterpillar story sack and have a big paperback book and a smaller board book. I made the sack in the shape of a big green leaf and had a felt caterpillar head sticking out of the front.

I hope that the drawstring is ok that I have used. It is not something that the children would be using unsupervised anyway.

Donna

youarewhatyoueat
23-09-2010, 05:14 PM
You can do whatever you like thats the fun of them. Have a look on ebay at the ones other people have put together and also have a look at the original ones to give you an idea of what to do.
I've got a farm one, with an old macdonald book with animal glove puppets, a cd, pictures to talk about a game and a small jigsaw.
Choose a book you like and read it picking out things from the book that you can get. I've also got a train book, with a train whistle, tickets a drivers hat and a jigsaw. Theyre great for a rainy day when i've run out of ideas!!
I rarely buy anything I try to use things that ive got in the toyboxes.

sarah707
23-09-2010, 05:23 PM
I tend to mix and match different toys along with things I find at car boot sales.

If children take to a particular book I'll look through the other resources for ideas and put a bag together overnight so it's there the next day.

I use things from the internet as well such as making our own jigsaws, then when their interests change i haven't spent a fortune.

:D

tulip0803
23-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I buy some things new & some things are ones my children had, or from boot fairs or charity shops.

I have some in cream drawstring sacks with iron on transfers, some in cream shopping type bags with straps and some with material that matches the story that I made. You could also use pillowcases, those squishy plastic buckety bags (IYKNIM), boxes or anything that will hold a book, props and activities - it doesn't have to be a sack.

Where I used to live the libraries had them for minders and some were appliqued and others just had the name sewn on them. You can do whatever you feel able to do:clapping:

jo f
23-09-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't actually have set story sacks. I have a couple of pe bags which i will put things in as and when to relate to story, or song time have teddies etc which can relate to a song. I just haven't the space to have story sacks permanantly as well as everything else