PDA

View Full Version : becoming a childminder

Rachealb
23-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I am really keen to become a childminder as i am lvl 3 qualified,love children and is the perfect solution having a young daughter myself,however i would love to have another child myself in around 2-3 years,just wondered if anyone has any advice on how you work around that?Would i have to finish then re-register or are you entitled to a certain amount of time off?Want to consider this before embarking on pre-registration!Thanks!

sue m
23-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi and welcome. I'm not the one to answer your question but I'm sure someone will be along soon. I'm also sure you don't have to re-register. :D

Mykidsrock
23-09-2010, 12:14 PM
You won't need to reregister, just inform Ofsted of change in family circumstances and they will issue a new certificate with alterations on it as your new baby would come into your numbers.

Also, when you own child goes over 8 Ofsted amend your certificate as your numbers then increase.

As for time off, I think it maybe the same as any employment and you may be entitled to the 112 a week benefit from the benefits office, but id give them a ring to double check as im a little unsure in respect of self employment and this.

Hope that helps xx

tulip0803
23-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi and welcome

Any children that you have will impact on your numbers. In England and Wales most childminders are able to care for a maximum of 6 children under the age of 8, of those 6 only 3 can be under 5 (not in full-time school) and of those 3 only 1 under 12 months in England, 2 under 18 months in Wales. Your own children will be taken into consideration in the numbers so at the moment one space will be taken, when you have another baby 2 spaces will be taken. I waited until my daughter started school partly as I liked the larger age gap and partly as it did not effect my income as greatly.

If you pay your national insurance as a childminder - voluntary if under a certain amount - you can claim Maternity Allowance from the government which would be 90% of your average weekly earnings up to around £112. It is worth paying it if you are considering having another baby. You are entitled to claim this for the full maternity allowance and then start childminding again without having to re-register. You have to inform your inspectorate as they will have to change your certificate.

However any families that you are caring for may decide to stay with their new carers if you take a long time off, this is why many childminders only take a few weeks off before starting again. I moved areas during my maternity as it fitted perfectly and had to start new mindees anyway. I took the full amount of maternity.