PDA

View Full Version : Wax crayon pictures

Polly2
07-04-2008, 01:34 PM
HI all

I did some of these today and they went wrong :( I don't know what I did ha!

We drew our pictures with wax crayons then painted over them with watered down paint and the crayon is supposed to show through but it didn't.

What did I do wrong boo hoo!!!

Now mindees have naff pictures to take home ha ha!

angeldelight
07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
This is how we do them

Take a plain colored card paper - preferably white or some other very pale color. You could also use strong paper, as long as it can absorb paint without becoming too moist.

Get your wax crayons out. Arrange the colors that you'll use for picture:
Light colored crayons are the best choice as they will stand out the most against the black.

Avoid using black, brown and navy blue altogether. They will not stand out against the black paint background.

Decide on your design or illustration. Perhaps sketch it out with an erasable pencil first, which you can then trace over with the crayons.
Draw the picture. Using the wax crayons, draw your picture, you can even just write a message - great for a party or a sign.

After doing the crayon work, give a wash of black paint over the whole picture. The black paint color will not stick to the drawing done in wax crayons. Your picture, design or words should stand out boldly.

Hang to dry. Let the painting dry flat somewhere warm and airy. It shouldn't take too long and then you can hang it up and admire it.

Polly2
07-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks Angel

I used light colours on white paper then painted over with coloured paint - matbe thats what went wrong - should have used black.

Also the crayon marks weren't very thick and we used cheapy crayons (I read the crayon thread lol!!) Do you think that made a difference?

angeldelight
07-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Not sure Holly

Give it another go

I have made the mistake that you made though before and the pictures have been a real mess

I learnt how to do it the correct way at our local school

They always use black paint

Angel xx

Polly2
07-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks - will do!! :thumbsup:

Minnie Minx
07-04-2008, 04:07 PM
i would also say don't water the paint down too much, good luck and fingers crossed it will work next time :)

xx

angeldelight
07-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Yes I agree with that

xxx