PDA

View Full Version : How old is old enough?

BlondeMoment
22-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm a bit suspicious that two kids from my mindees school go home to an empty house after school.
They only live a short walk from the school and we walk the same way so they often walk with us until they get to their house. A few things they have mentioned have made me wonder and I've never seen any parents there to greet them. They let themselves in!

They're about 9 years old. In my books thats a bit young to be going home to an empty house. What do you guys think? I'm a new minder and new to the school and don't want to go sounding any alarms and making a plonker of myself. Just worries me.

wendywu
22-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I would not do it, but i dont think it is against the law.:(

angeldelight
22-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I would not do it either

I think its all about common sense

Some good advice here

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/help-and-advice/for-parents-and-carers/positive-parenting/leaving-children-home-alone/leaving-children-home-alone_wda72908.html

Angel xx

bexcee
23-09-2010, 09:36 AM
There are children at my son's school who are 8 and 9 and walk home from school by themselves and are at home alone until 5:15pm when their parents get in. I don't agree with this at all and it worries me what could happen to them but I have looked into it and it isn't illegal.

My daughter is 10 and although she walks home from school by herself I am here when she gets in and she has never been left on her own at home.

Not sure when I will feel comfortable leaving her, I know you are meant to be 16 to babysit now so maybe not until then.

little chickee
23-09-2010, 09:45 AM
i would not do that either - my eldest son is 13 and i always make sure i'm home when he gets home from school. But as previously stated i dont think its against the law.

Im in Scotland and i know there is no age limit here on kids being home alone.
My boys do let themselves into the house though - not with a key but just before they are due home i unlock the door and am not always necessarily at the door to greet them.

I'm not quite sure if there is anything you can do about it. its frustrating but if thats what their parents do thats up to them.

BlondeMoment
23-09-2010, 11:44 PM
I would not do it either

I think its all about common sense

Some good advice here

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/help-and-advice/for-parents-and-carers/positive-parenting/leaving-children-home-alone/leaving-children-home-alone_wda72908.html

Angel xx

God I can't believe there isn't a legal age where your child can be left.
Thanks so much for this link!

BlondeMoment
23-09-2010, 11:45 PM
It makes me really sad. They're not even 10 and there's no one to welcome them home :(