PDA

View Full Version : Calling cat owners with small houses for advise

BlondeMoment
22-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi minders!

We're thinking of getting a cat and just wondered if any of you have them and how you get around certain red tape. Eg, not having the food down in reach of the children, litter trays and keeping them out of sleeper's room etc. We've a very basic open plan two up and two down house with a small garden. No utility room or conservatory or anything like that. Very basic starter home.

There is a hallway but it's used for shoes, buggies and the hoover etc. We'd dearly love a cat just not sure we can get around the children. Where do you guys keep stuff so it's not grabbable?

Any ideas/tips/advise would be much appreciated

lisa

zillervalley
22-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi

I have had cats all my minding years 24yrs,

the house I had before this was a starter two up two down, but I did have a front porch, and we used the back door to access the house, when I had the two kittens i put them in the porch with their bed and litter, I fed them at early morning before mindees came, and then when mindees went home,It wasnt Ofsted then who inspected it was the local authority, they were fine with that.

How old are your mindees, I ask this because you could if you really want a Kitten put the Litter and water in the bathroom, thats if mindees are in nappies and dont go to the toilet unsupervised,

hope this helps

Heaven Scent
22-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Zillervalley has given you some fab ideas - You won't need the litter tray for long so that won't be an issue after a couple of weeks. Plus as ZV says feed them before the children come and leave and remove them once they've finished I'd also leave out some water for them - having said that our cat used to prefer to drink from muddy oiley puddles rather than bowls of nice fresh water.

KarenM
23-09-2010, 06:47 AM
We have an indoor cat so have a cat toilet. I've just had my inspection by the Network Coordinator and she was fine with me putting it in my room whilst mindees are here, but my mindees have no access to the upstairs - not sure on your registration?

BlondeMoment
23-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys!

My mindees are 1,2,4 and 8 so they do use the bathroom. We use every room! It's a weeny house - we need to LOL.

Yes litter tray would only be for a few weeks it's just where to put it while kitty needs it. Food down before and after the kids arrive and leave is a great idea!

The other thing is how can I keep it out of the bedroom while little ones are sleeping. If I close the door I'll wake the children every time I check on them. It's an open plan house so can't close off the upstairs or anything. Hmmmm. Must be a way

pinky33
23-09-2010, 07:58 AM
We have 2 cats, mrs o was happy food is left down in kitchen and enclosed litter tray as we have stairgate going into kitchen and children are not left alone in kitchen. It wasn't a problem at all if you can demontrate your practice around this with a risk assesment.

She said it's the cats home too, they have to have what's normal for them.

Hazel

pinky33
23-09-2010, 08:00 AM
We shut bedroom doors with baby listeners and just open door gently to check!

VINASOL
23-09-2010, 09:04 AM
we have a small 2 bed house (although do have a lean-to) and have a cat (and even going to get a puppy!).

however, do remember that if you get a kitten you will not be able to let it out for about 8 weeks (or more) until it's had its 2nd injection so you'll have a litter tray for a couple of months.

I would simply close the door where the children sleep; regarding food trays I leave mine out (I put up a stair gate to stop mindee (3) going in and out of the kitchen) but I simply tell her that she is not allowed to touch it, and she doesn't.

It's great having pets - good luck!

BlondeMoment
23-09-2010, 11:40 PM
It's all sounding alot more possible thanks to all your messages guys!

Thanks!

BlondeMoment
24-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Zillervalley has given you some fab ideas - You won't need the litter tray for long so that won't be an issue after a couple of weeks. Plus as ZV says feed them before the children come and leave and remove them once they've finished I'd also leave out some water for them - having said that our cat used to prefer to drink from muddy oiley puddles rather than bowls of nice fresh water.

Can cats drink from water bottles? (like bunnies and hamsters do) Just to avoid water spillages?

mrs_scottydog
25-09-2010, 06:56 AM
We've also got a stairgate on our kitchen doorway, originally to stop my lo getting to the kitchen cupboards, means my mindees can't get into the kitchen without me knowing. Our cat will only eat dry cat food so although we feed her before and after the mindees are here there is always food and a bowl of water out in the kitchen. I've not heard from cats drinking from water bottles but I guess you could give it a go, you'll probably find the younger the cat the more they get on with it.
Helen

BlondeMoment
18-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys! We've decided to wait a while in getting a kitty. Main reason is we've got Gerbils and with such a weeny house I don't think we could keep them seperated. Would feel bad never being able to let the cat in the lounge and we would'nt want it in the bedroom either so where would the poor thing go? LOL.
May have to wait until I dear gerbils are pushing up the daisies LOL

LOOPYLISA
18-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi just seen this, we have 3 cats and a kitten and 2 guinea pigs

Piggies live indoors and tbh the cats are not really interested :thumbsup:

I think you will be ok with getting a cat, i have a friend who has never had a animal to now having 2 cats and wishes she had done it sooner x

Ripeberry
18-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Why not get a crate? At least then the kitten will be in one spot and if it messes then not too bad to clean up. Would not want a kitten wandering around in my bedroom as they can and will wee on duvets :mad:
And they will feel the need to exercise their claws on your furniture and be half-way up your curtains.

A big dog crate is the way to go in an open plan house and as advised before you need to wait a minimum of 8weeks before letting it outside.

BlondeMoment
18-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Why not get a crate? At least then the kitten will be in one spot and if it messes then not too bad to clean up. Would not want a kitten wandering around in my bedroom as they can and will wee on duvets :mad:
And they will feel the need to exercise their claws on your furniture and be half-way up your curtains.

A big dog crate is the way to go in an open plan house and as advised before you need to wait a minimum of 8weeks before letting it outside.

Big dog crate would take up most the lounge and the kids would have nowhere to play :(

Ripeberry
18-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Big dog crate would take up most the lounge and the kids would have nowhere to play :(

Put it on top of your bed? :idea:

Blaze
18-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi minders!

We're thinking of getting a cat and just wondered if any of you have them and how you get around certain red tape. Eg, not having the food down in reach of the children, litter trays and keeping them out of sleeper's room etc. We've a very basic open plan two up and two down house with a small garden. No utility room or conservatory or anything like that. Very basic starter home.

There is a hallway but it's used for shoes, buggies and the hoover etc. We'd dearly love a cat just not sure we can get around the children. Where do you guys keep stuff so it's not grabbable?

Any ideas/tips/advise would be much appreciated

lisa

You could try a self cleaning litter tray & timed bowls - more expensive, but may work in your situation.
HTH:)

Joannechildmind
18-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I live in a 2 bed flat and we have had a cat for over a year, I have the food bowl in the kitchen by the larder cupboard.

We have a litter box for the cat which is completely covered and is next to the cats food bowl. I also have a safety gate on the kitchen door so it is all completly out of reach of children.

HomefromHome
18-10-2010, 11:53 AM
i have 2 cats - hooded litter tray with swing door and is placed in the corner between drawers and tv unit - as part of my r.a i have put that it is turned around (so door hidden and blocked off in the corner) or is removed to a room upstairs - depends on whether cats are in or not! i'm not sure about not needing trays after a few weeks - unless they will live out eventually? mine are usually (!!) out during day, in at night and they still use it in the night.
it also depends on your mindees - mine are really good and dont make a beeline for things like that - however new baby starting in dec hopefully so it will be removed from the room.
i have their food and water on a tray so i can easily move it up out of the way.

Ali56
18-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I have a kitten (17wks) she has just started going outside, her food is in the kitchen-we have an older cat too and food has never been an issue with mrs o in all the 16yrs I have childminded! I do have a gate to the kitchen tho, but thats for safety and cooking,not the cats!! The children just have to learn not to touch! We also have a litter tray for kitten at the moment and support worker knows its there, and that its temporary. Its all documented and risk assesed. I'm going to get a covered one tho because even tho she goes outside now she still comes in to use her tray!!
Go on - Get a kitten, you know you want to! They are only little for a little while........:D :D

Blaze
18-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Should have added that i have 10 kittens at the moment (& the self cleaning litter trays can only be used once they are bigger).

mushpea
18-10-2010, 07:54 PM
we have 2 cats a dog, 4 rabbits, 1 guinea-pig, 8 giant land snails and 2 fish,,, the dog cat and rabbits all get let out together ,, they dont really take much notice of each other,, infact the cats are in charge of the dog and rabbits in charge of the cats, when they were kittens the litter tray was kept in the kitchen behind a gate and thats where their food is now,, the dogs water bowl is accesible to the children but not very deep and children are taught to leave it alone, they are also taught to leave the dog alone when he is in his bed which is where he spends most of his time cause he's lazy!,, wen the cats where kittens i used to play roughly with them and when stroking them would gently pull their tails to get them used to what they might get from the kids,, one of them lays downstairs during the day the other keeps out of the way!
I have only had one parent put off by the dog and she didnt even bother to come and see us,,, other parents didnt even know hes here untill i asked if they'd like to meet him! he is such a laid back docile lazy dog that he cant be bothered to get out of his bed when the door goes,,, having said that no dog is fully trust wothy,,,,, anyway you are after a kitten,, a joy to have and great for the mindees as most wouldnt have pets so great for them to learn about.

BlondeMoment
25-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Ooooh you guys are twisting me back to the idea of getting one LOL.

Want a little black one and call him Magik! lol