PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Childminders - flu pandemic advice

sarah707
07-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I just got this information from the 'ChildCarer eNewsletter' dated April 2008

Scotland’s childcarers are given pandemic flu warning

Day nurseries and childminders in Scotland have been issued with guidance on what to do should an outbreak of pandemic flu occur.

There is a growing expectation in health circles that a global outbreak of pandemic flu will occur in the near future. The last such pandemic occurred in 1968, and there were earlier pandemics in 1957 and 1918-19, the latter killing between 20 million and 40 million people worldwide.

The guidance on infection control of pandemic flu was issued jointly by the Scottish Government and Health Protection Scotland last month and has warned settings and childminders to prepare for a potential outbreak.

It said, “Pandemic influenza is a global disease. It is hard to predict when it will occur, or the severity of it.

“When a pandemic occurs, everyone will be involved in the fight against influenza and preventing the spread of the infection. We need now to start to plan and to build good practice on infection control into our daily routines to help reduce the spread of the disease.”

The incubation period from exposure to the virus to showing symptoms of infection is from one to four days but, for most people, will be two to three days.

The symptoms of pandemic flu in children aged six months and younger include tummy aches, diarrhoea and vomiting, while in very young children, tiredness, poor feeding and difficulty in breathing could also be early signs of flu, the guidance said.

“The symptoms of pandemic flu would probably be similar to those of seasonal flu, but they could be more severe and cause more serious complications,” it added.

The documents warn childcarers that in the event of an outbreak they ought to assume that an infection is pandemic flu and act accordingly. “It is better that someone stays at home for a couple of days with what might turn out to be a normal cold than go into work or school with the early symptoms of pandemic flu and pass the flu virus on to others,” the document said.

The document warned, “As it will be a new virus, the entire population will be susceptible because nobody will have any immunity to it. Therefore healthy adults as well as the elderly, young children and people with existing medical conditions will be affected.

“The lack of immunity in the Scottish (and UK) population will mean that the virus has the potential to spread very quickly between people. In comparison with seasonal flu, many more people could become severely ill and many more could die.”

The guidance advises all childcarers to:

- Remember to wash their hands and remind children to wash their hands with liquid soap and water, or use hand cleansers, and make sure supplies are available.

- Keep their environment clean and make sure that supplies are available.

- Remind children (depending on their age) to cover their nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing and to wash their hands with liquid soap and water immediately afterwards – and make sure they do the same.

- Observe all children for symptoms of fever and respiratory illness, especially when there is increased influenza in the community.

- Strongly encourage parents of sick children to keep their children home. If a child they normally look after is ill, do not accept them until they have fully recovered.

- If they or their own children are ill, suspend working with children until everyone has fully recovered.

Good advice for everyone I think :D

Pudding Girl
07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
well it's not hit yet and hopefully it's too far on in year now for it to at all!

Thanks for the heads up Sarah :)

Twinkles
07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I went to a flu pandemic workshop last year and they said it was a case of when it was going to happen not if.

Apparently we're due for one within the next five years.

fionamal
07-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I got stuff through the post this morning from the SCMA with guidlines for infection control due to this flu pandemic

emler
07-04-2008, 03:50 PM
So did I Fiona. Thanks for that Sarah

Emler x

man in a white coat
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
The link below will give you some bedtime reading. Chapter 3 (page 32) is concerned with Early Childcare and preschool settings, Section 3C is specific to childminders.
http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/9942/FullGuidance.pdf

Iain

Pudding Girl
08-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I got stuff through the post this morning from the SCMA with guidlines for infection control due to this flu pandemic

I never seem to get the stuff everyone else does, even though I am a member :( will give it a few days then call for it I think