PDA

View Full Version : Uni Parents

singingcactus
22-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone can quickly give me some info. I have a mum coming to see me tomorrow who has just been invited to attend uni a year earlier than expected - she starts monday!!
Do any of you know anything about whether there is any funding available to help uni parents afford childcare. Her childcare bill is going to add up very quickly because the uni is over an hour away. She will obviously not be earning and I know what hubby earns and it will be a big struggle to find the cash each week.
Thanks for any help you can give :)

twinkle3005
22-09-2010, 02:11 PM
It all depends on the University. Most have a discretionary fund to help student parents but if not ask the Mum to speak with someone from the University Student Advice Centre. She may get funds through ALF (Access to Learning Fund). There is also a Parents Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant available but students must fit the criteria. Her LEA will be able to advise her what she's entitled to.

The best place to start for infomation is Student Finance England and the University Finance Department

caz3007
22-09-2010, 03:41 PM
One of my mums got a grant a couple of years ago and I had to fill in a form once or twice a term to tell them what she had paid. She got her grant and then paid me up front for 6 weeks at a time, nice little amount to receive in one go

singingcactus
22-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Thank you both, that is very helpful :D . Always nice to have some info prior to needing it.

Lady Haha
22-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I have two mums at uni, one is married and the other is a single parent - both get help with thier childcare included in their bursary. Would imagine the married mum doesn't get as much help as the single mum, but don't know for sure cos haven't asked!!