PDA

View Full Version : being contacted at weekends

newandlearning
22-09-2010, 12:18 PM
hi all..

one of my mums keeps asking me questions .. out of the 3 days the lil boy is here .. she seems to contact me 5 out of 7 days.. she also texts me on sat and sunday..

how do I gently let her know I don't want to deal with her requests outside my working hours unless its really urgent?

Ripeberry
22-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Just don't reply to the texts at weekends. She will soon get the message :)

aly
22-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Just don't reply to the texts at weekends. She will soon get the message :)
^ agree :thumbsup:

sweets
22-09-2010, 12:42 PM
agreed just dont answer texts at weekends, if mum says to you that she had text you then just say im sorry but i have my work phone turned off at weekends so i have family time, she doesnt need to know that you dont have a work mobile.

kindredspirits
22-09-2010, 12:44 PM
i agree - get another sim card if needs be - have one for family and one for work. :thumbsup:

Lol
22-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I know the feeling!! Once had a parent text me when I was in Mallorca:eek: I very soon learnt not to reply to her texts:rolleyes: :)

funfunfun
22-09-2010, 02:03 PM
I agree ignore it :)

pinky33
22-09-2010, 05:08 PM
I would normally say I agree don't answer but we had the same issue with a parent asking random things like can child have cheese.... We tried ignoring well did ignore but it carried on.

We very politly called mum to one side at pick up and said that we wouldn't be answering texts out of contracted days unless it was an emergency, we said that if it was an emergency we would help out if nobody else could, and that it's hard to wind down if we have to keep answering everyones texts.
Made it clear the phone was for work on ly and would be switched off and to call house phone if someones leg fell off.

We were very lightharted but firm about it and she said she could see what we meant.

Hazel

pinky33
22-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Y is it when I want to keep it short and sweet I ramble on.
What I was trying to say was...... Just tell her lol

Pipsqueak
22-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Newsletter time and ignoring

Quick note in the next newsletter to all parents saying that unless its an emergency you will not be answering texts outside work hours. If the parent would like to chat to you you would be more than happy to arrange a mutally suitable time to discuss via phone or during working hours.

lovemyprams
22-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I have a parent that texts me on a Sunday morning at 8am! I have older children so sometimes like a lie-in or if I am not feeling 100per cent like last weekend I felt really peeved that she text me at this time - (I had phone on as my daughter was at a party night before and left it on in case she needed me in an emergency).

Other times she texts me at 11pm on a Sunday night to let me know what days to take and pick-up her child (ad-hoc). Why she text me at that time I have no idea - perhaps she thinks I dont have a life outside childminding!:laughing:

I now dont answer if she texts me on a Sunday (and its always at 11/11.30!)until Monday morning and I leave my phone downstairs so it doesnt disturb me.

Dont reply until you start work on a Monday - she will soon get the message!

curlycathy
22-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I was talking to a fellow childminder recently who had phone calls texts and visits on her Graduation Day which had been booked off. She had also had a call from school asking who was picking kids up- this on her way back from graduation ceremony - she then spent an hour phoning round to find people to collect kids (I wouldnt have!). Anyway, I was relating this to dh and ds (11) and ds said:

Why not have a policy that you will charge parents for texts, phone calls or other contact outside of work hours. The rate will be double time and charged an hour at a time (so a text would be one hour!) The only exception would be genuine emergencies.

What do you all think???? Anyone brave enough ....:laughing:

curlycathy
22-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Meant to say it wasnt actually HER kids needing picking up - it was mindees:blush:

sillysausage
22-09-2010, 08:17 PM
maybe I'm a bit too laid back? I don't mind parents contacting me whenever (even on holiday). I realise some may find it a bit annoying to get texts when you are not working, but you are providing care for their pride and joy and it can be hard for some parents to come to terms with IYSWIM. And lets be honest it only takes a moment or too to reply, even if it's 'sorry I'm not at home, will discuss monday' or some such delaying tactic.
I suppose what I'm saying is that I wouldn't think twice about a family member texting me at the weekend, and to me my mindees form part of an extended family.
I might possibly get annoyed if parents were texting me at 11pm but then I wouldn't answer it until morning anyway as I leave my mobile in the kitchen overnight so I wouldn't hear it.

Chimps Childminding
22-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't mind, but then it doesn't happen very often!!! Perhaps if it was happening all the time I might think different!!!:rolleyes:

mummyof3
22-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I have texts and calls over weekend and I even have one little mindee turn up saturday to play as he told her he wanted to come and see me :eek: He is just turned 2 and he can't speak !!! :rolleyes: :eek:

I'm too soft to say go away :blush:

The Juggler
22-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't mind either, would rather know about shift changes, altered starts etc but I haven't yet had anyone who is tellign me what to do or stalking me all weekend.

My texts received over weekends are usually just 'just to let you know....' and is usually info I would WANT to have before monday.

berkschick
22-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Doesnt bother me either. I think it is a huge advantage we have over a Nursery!

I dont have overpowering contact from parents over the weekend though so maybe thats why it doesnt matter too much to me but I quite like the fact they feel they can contact me whenever they feel they need too as I think as a parent myself, I would like that too. I often get "Does E need anymore nappies at yours?" or "forgot to mention, My Mum picking up mon" type texts over the weekend.

angeldelight
22-09-2010, 10:07 PM
hi all..

one of my mums keeps asking me questions .. out of the 3 days the lil boy is here .. she seems to contact me 5 out of 7 days.. she also texts me on sat and sunday..

how do I gently let her know I don't want to deal with her requests outside my working hours unless its really urgent?

You do not work so you do not answer your phone

I had the same problem with a parent any hour of the day too and always at weekends

I ignored her she soon got the message

Good luck

Angel xx