PDA

View Full Version : After School Clubs

Noomie
21-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Hiya,

Just want your thoughts on children you care for doing after school clubs.

Do you let them? Why? What are your reasons for not allowing them?

sarah707
21-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I cannot meet the needs of all the children (especially little ones) if I am collecting from clubs.

It is also nearly tea time by the time the clubs come out so I say no.

it upsets some parents but most work round it.

Has someone asked you to do it? :D

FussyElmo
21-09-2010, 08:57 PM
No I dont - I have in the past if they have all agreed on one and its on the same night but most of the time they wont.

Mainly due to a timing issue my school finishs at 315 I get home between twenty to and quarter to four and the school club finishs at 415. I would get in and then go back again and its not fair on the younger ones :)

caz3007
21-09-2010, 08:58 PM
My after schoolies have gone to them, but never been asked to collect them. I just couldnt as dont drive and couldnt drag all the children back out to collect after the school run and given them all tea before 5pm, its just not doable.

Those that have been their mums have arranged others to collect but still paid to keep their space with me. They have never asked me to collect as they are all good and know it would be really difficult

Helen Dempster
21-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I take one minded child to an after school dance club...but ONLY because my son also attends. Mindees mum then picks them both up and brings my son home. She has an older boy who I also look after, so she's got to come back to me anyway :) It's such a rush though and if it wasn't for my own boy going to the same club, I don't think I would do it.

Pipsqueak
21-09-2010, 09:06 PM
The school is just over 5 minutes walk - if they are year 5 and above, then if parents are in agreement then I allow them to walk back by themselves, following strict guidelines which are agreed with the parent and child. School are also made aware that they are coming to mine.
Quite often my son will be doing the same club.

If its a younger child, then IF I can accomodate by collecting i will, occasionally younger son will be doing the club, so all well and good.

If it fits in with my schedule and the other children I care for then yes I will acomodate where possible.

Noomie
21-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I have two girls wanting to do after school clubs. This would take three afternoons in all (they want to do two clubs each however one is at lunch time otherwise it would mean four afternoons....!) and one is a pick up when I normally put dinner on the table.

Now I have said that they could do one each but it starts to become unfair on the other children I care for to be lobbing them in and out of the car all afternoon all the time especially as we head towards winter. Mum seemed disappointed that I didn't want to allow more than this. She even tried to suggest different ways that I could pick the girl up, ie she come out to the road to me, etc.

Is it not reasonable to allow them one club each and limit it to that?

Noomie
21-09-2010, 09:11 PM
I also wonder if she thinks she doesn't pay for the spot if they are there?

caz3007
21-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Its more than reasonable if you ask me.

Payment should still be made, clubs get cancelled cos teacher cant do it that week or the kids get fed up and only do half a term. Its never been an issue with me, they have paid without me asking to keep the place