PDA

View Full Version : Other CM reluctance to offer history...

Mykidsrock
21-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi
Recently starting minding a LO with speech issues after his previous cm stated she could no longer meet his needs due to his speech issues :panic:

However, have asked mum if the other cm keep files on him that may be of some use to me so that I can see where he is in terms of his stages (as he is very quiet and it is still early days) but the other cm has refused point blank to inform me about anything to do with LO. Has stated it is up to me to find out for myself which I am obviously doing through all about me forms, learning journals and observing him - plus lots and lots of talking and comms with mum, dad and speech therapist.

Very shocked at other cm's attitude to be honest as I didn't 'steal' her work, she gave notice and mum found me. Have thought about writing to the cm direct myself and explaining why I wish to know about him in a previous setting and seeing what she states. Sorry just feel her attitude is very unprofessional and does not have the LO's best interests at heart.

Am I wrong to be asking for this info? Ive always produced a file and report at the end of time with me to pass onto school/nursery/nanny or other cm so they know abit more about LO and how they were with me.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
21-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Not all cm's can be professional she may simply never kept any documentation, I know many that dont. Unfortunatly she may view it that her responsibility for the child ended the day she stopped caring for him.

Sadly it makes your job alot harder to do.

Mykidsrock
21-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I think that is the attitude she has taken tbh. Its a shame as he is a lovely LO - just struggling somewhat to get his 'voice' heard.

Well my records are all up and running and mum says he adores being with me and asks to see me every day so I must be doing something right.

Thanks x

georgie456
21-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I agree with pp, maybe she never kept any information and is being very offish as she realises she should have!!!!! I agree she sounds extremely unproffessional.
You are right to ask for this information because it would help you understand this child's needs better.
I would maybe just make a note in his file that you asked for this and had no luck just for reference.

PixiePetal
21-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Did she not pass the info/LJ on to mum?

Ofsted won't be interested in her keeping the info as child is no longer with her.

catswhiskers
21-09-2010, 07:46 PM
How old is the child? Also, how long was he with the previous childminder?

sarah707
21-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I took on a new child recently who came from a childminder and he had a learning journal which came with him.

it was so useful to see the lo in another household and get ideas about things he liked doing / didn't like.

I wonder if the other childminder in your case simply hasn't bothered to write anything down? :(

The Juggler
21-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I agree, I suspect her reluctance to share is the lack of anything TO share:(

Mykidsrock
22-09-2010, 06:39 AM

Ofsted won't be interested in her keeping the info as child is no longer with her.

No the only thing she passed to mum was a diary that was about 7 pages long and basically states what LO ate. Does not mention activities or anything else just what time LO came and went and what LO ate. Mum gave it to me, but to be honest not a lot of use as nothing to get from it other than LO likes pasta as that was dinner everyday!

Mykidsrock
22-09-2010, 06:41 AM
How old is the child? Also, how long was he with the previous childminder?

LO will be 4 later in the year. The thing mum did say was the other CM stated LO never spoke. LO is never quiet at my house so unless LO did not feel comfortable there then I struggle to believe this.

I agree, I dont think the other CM kept any form of record other than a contract tbh as nothing has been forthcoming. The other cm had LO from 16 months to 3 1/2 years and all there is is a 7 page A5 diary about LO's time there.

miffy
22-09-2010, 06:43 AM
No the only thing she passed to mum was a diary that was about 7 pages long and basically states what LO ate. Does not mention activities or anything else just what time LO came and went and what LO ate. Mum gave it to me, but to be honest not a lot of use as nothing to get from it other than LO likes pasta as that was dinner everyday!

I think that's the answer - the other childminder didn't keep any other records so has nothing to pass on to you!

Don't take it personally - she's done the lo a favour by giving notice, at least you are working with his parents and other agencies to get the best help for him.

Miffy xx

Mykidsrock
22-09-2010, 06:44 AM
I took on a new child recently who came from a childminder and he had a learning journal which came with him.

it was so useful to see the lo in another household and get ideas about things he liked doing / didn't like.

I wonder if the other childminder in your case simply hasn't bothered to write anything down? :(

I always do a learning journal as like you have stated it helps others who look after the LO after you. I also do an end of contract report that covers the 6 areas of the EYFS so others can see how I observed LO in my time with them and where they were in terms of the EYFS whilst at mine.

It would have been extermely handy to know other things about LO whilst he was with another cm as at present his speech is still so hard for him. Whilst he talks, it is at times very very hard to understand. However with the help of a speech therapist, we are all getting there

:o

miffy
22-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Just a thought, is there anything on the Ican website that might help him/you?

http://www.ican.org.uk/

Miffy xx

Mykidsrock
22-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Just a thought, is there anything on the Ican website that might help him/you?

http://www.ican.org.uk/

Miffy xx

That's great, thank you for that.

Mykidsrock
22-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Well update on situation. Mum pulled me to one side this morning at drop off point and ask for a quiet word. I automatically thought the 'what have I done' and panicked.

Mum wanted to say to me thank you so much for all the paperwork, artwork etc that I have sent home with LO. She loves the fact that she knows what her child is doing during the day, LO talks endlessly about me and the fact that LO eats more than pasta. Mum passed comment that in the past 3 weeks ive had LO, she has had more off me in ways of work LO has done, being kept up to date etc and general assistance than she had in the 2 years LO was with a previous CM.

Its really nice to hear a parent say such nice things to you and also to see the LO rush to your door because they are desperate to see you as well - particularly when 3 weeks ago we had to prise LO off mum.

Thank you for all the support you have all shown and the suggestions for things I can do in respect of helping LO's speech.

xxxx

Mykidsrock
22-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I think that's the answer - the other childminder didn't keep any other records so has nothing to pass on to you!

Don't take it personally - she's done the lo a favour by giving notice, at least you are working with his parents and other agencies to get the best help for him.

Miffy xx

Thanks. To be honest I was quite shocked by her attitude that she could no longer assist him because he had speech issues. All I have been asked to do is speak slowly to LO, not get frustrated when he struggles and assist where I can. I also have to do a 1/4 report to give to his speech therapist to state how he has been. Its hardly 'hard work'. It certainly has no impact on the day to day running of my setting and no one else feels put out by LO. All the other children in the setting all understand that LO cannot speak as well as them and so far (although it is early days still) not one of them has been nasty in anyway.

Right now we are working on sound pronouncing as this what he struggles with and we have turned it into a game, thus making it fun. I have also got the older kids to sit with us and do this so that LO does not feel excluded because he has a 'problem'.

maryp0ppins
22-09-2010, 10:37 AM
How lovely...

You must be a breath of fresh air to the lo. What lovely comments from mum, you must feel very proud :thumbsup:

loocyloo
22-09-2010, 11:55 AM
i have a LO with speech issues, we have games and things to play, we all play them together and the children all think its great fun!

in fact though, the other children have always understood LO and it's the adults who struggle to understand.

Ripeberry
22-09-2010, 12:24 PM

That's true, the parents should have the LJ or info. If they don't they the other CM is trying to hide her lazyness :rolleyes:

Mykidsrock
22-09-2010, 04:47 PM
i have a LO with speech issues, we have games and things to play, we all play them together and the children all think its great fun!

in fact though, the other children have always understood LO and it's the adults who struggle to understand.

Thats so true. My friends little boy has terrible speech issues which we all struggle to understand at times - however older sister translates for him all the time!

miffy
22-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Well update on situation. Mum pulled me to one side this morning at drop off point and ask for a quiet word. I automatically thought the 'what have I done' and panicked.

Mum wanted to say to me thank you so much for all the paperwork, artwork etc that I have sent home with LO. She loves the fact that she knows what her child is doing during the day, LO talks endlessly about me and the fact that LO eats more than pasta. Mum passed comment that in the past 3 weeks ive had LO, she has had more off me in ways of work LO has done, being kept up to date etc and general assistance than she had in the 2 years LO was with a previous CM.

Its really nice to hear a parent say such nice things to you and also to see the LO rush to your door because they are desperate to see you as well - particularly when 3 weeks ago we had to prise LO off mum.

Thank you for all the support you have all shown and the suggestions for things I can do in respect of helping LO's speech.

xxxx

That is lovely - you must be chuffed. It's a great feeling when you know you're making a difference :)

Miffy xx

The Juggler
22-09-2010, 05:29 PM

xxxx

ah that's so nice hon. think it proves our suspicions were right too- she' didn't have any info to pass over to you! good luck, let us know how it goes with the speech. You never know now he's in a more stimulating environment his speech might come on in leaps and bounds:)

lovemyprams
22-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Bet the Mum is thinking she wishes her little one was with you from the start.

The other Childminder does not sound very professional!

Well done you - give yourself a pat on the back for being fab!:D

Mykidsrock
23-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Even more of an update. Mum has just called me in floods of tears to explain LO was really ill earlier this year and was in hospital for 20 odd days and nearly died (had phenmonia sp). Anyway she got charged full rate for this period and cos work did not pay her she could not afford to pay the CM the full rate and they came to an agreement whereby she paid each week. She now owes just under a £100.

Anyway, today she has received a text message from the cm stating that unless she gave her £100 tomorrow (agreement is £25 a month) then she will destroy the diary she had kept for the child (the 7 page one mum was allowed to borrow to show me before lo started) and any other paperwork she has on lo including and observations, learning journals etc she has done.

I have suggested mum speaks to Ofsted about this as personally other than the threatening behaviour, I think that this is totally unprofessional.

What do you all think?

green puppy
23-09-2010, 12:56 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: That's shocking! Not very professional at all! Not sure what ofsted would do to be honest as money is a contractual issue and ofsted do not get involved. Don't know what they would say about the lj, perhaps she could mention that the cm was not providing an inclusive setting by giving notice due to lo's speech? Not sure it would help though, guess we only know mums side of the story too with regards to how it ended. Bit of a tricky one if there was no written agreement regarding the fees.

Mykidsrock
23-09-2010, 01:02 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: That's shocking! Not very professional at all! Not sure what ofsted would do to be honest as money is a contractual issue and ofsted do not get involved. Don't know what they would say about the lj, perhaps she could mention that the cm was not providing an inclusive setting by giving notice due to lo's speech? Not sure it would help though, guess we only know mums side of the story too with regards to how it ended. Bit of a tricky one if there was no written agreement regarding the fees.

They have it in written agreement about the repayment of the sickness fees but the other cm has now decided she wants it all.

Ive also heard from other people mums and cm's about this particular cm and so far im yet to hear anything good about her and the setting.

I know i'm only hearing mum's side of things about what is happening at present but ive asked the cm for the lj etc and she has point blank refused these to me with the attitude of and her words were ' learn for yourself, im not doing your job for you!' (I already had a lj prepared and partially filled in for LO, was just more interested in the speech side of things).

Hey ho never mind once the fee is paid mum can forget her. I have told mum that if she can afford the £100 to pay it now, but as they have a signed agreement of £25 a month until clear then that is all she HAS to pay if that is all she can afford.

Maybe the other cm is having some financial difficulties (?), but perhaps that would be best phrased with, 'Is there any chance you could pay of the outstanding fee's sooner as due to LO no longer being in my setting, I am at present in a difficult financial situation'. You would like to think that after 2 years of using this cm that there would be a positive grown up relationship inn place that has not resorted to threats.

Oh well, I guess whatever will be will be xx

green puppy
23-09-2010, 01:19 PM
In that case she is being extremely unprofessional! Agree though if mum can afford to pay it now then she should, although out of principle I'd probably make cm wait! As for the lj as it involves details of her child it is the property of the parent isn't it? So if I was mum I would be demanding for any info to be given to her otherwise maybe a call to ofsted about safeguarding is necessary, she has the text as evidence of cm's refusal. Also cm is not working within her reg conditions of following the eyfs regarding paperwork and working in partnership! Hope mum gets it sorted.

The Juggler
23-09-2010, 09:02 PM
whilst I agree that if you leave you need to settle up before you leave, regardless of the agreement for repayments this CM's behaviour is shocking. Could you afford to 'take on the debt' and she repay you at the same rate hon? That is above and beyond the call of duty really but was just a thought. I'm sure mum could find the money somehwere I'm sure she's actually more upset about the threat than the repayment:panic: :panic:

horrible woman. I think I would report her to ofsted myself!

Mykidsrock
24-09-2010, 06:41 AM
whilst I agree that if you leave you need to settle up before you leave, regardless of the agreement for repayments this CM's behaviour is shocking. Could you afford to 'take on the debt' and she repay you at the same rate hon? That is above and beyond the call of duty really but was just a thought. I'm sure mum could find the money somehwere I'm sure she's actually more upset about the threat than the repayment:panic: :panic:

horrible woman. I think I would report her to ofsted myself!

Erm I possibly could, had not really thought about it to be honest. What gets me is she had to ask mum how much she still owed first as she didnt keep a record of what she had already been paid back. Mum is very honest and straight down the line so told her. I have stressed to mum that whatever she pays now she must must must get some form of receipt of this CM stating how much she still owes until clear incase she trys to claim mum owes more once paid up.

Mum only left cos CM gave notice due to littles ones speech issues, mum had no issues with his care as he was happy there and felt that she would be using this cm until school in over a years time. She was paying an additional £25 a month on top of fees and all was going well until she left then the cm decided she wanted payment now (despite agreement being in place after cm gave notice agreeing £25 to pay arrears off).

Im shocked by how she gave notice due to speech issues (although I appreciate she may just not feel comfortable by this) and is now resorting to threats to get money.

Mum is coming round later to pay me my fees (she is very very good at paying me weekly and on time) and I think I will mention to her again about putting a letter of complaint into Ofsted - more important now this text message has come through.

I agree I think it is the threat that has upset mum more than anything else. She had used cm for 2 years and always felt they had a good working relationship - be it even if the CM was somewhat lack on the paper trail of things.

Will keep you updated x

miffy
24-09-2010, 07:47 AM
That is an awful story but keep your business head on here.

It really is nothing to do with you. Don't take on someone else's debt - however upsetting, this is for mum and the other childminder to sort out.

You can offer help and support by listening to mum (as you've already done) and offering advice if you wish to.

You could report the other cm to Ofsted but I don't think her not giving you a lj would be enough for them to take action. Mum could report her if the other cm did give notice due to the speech issues, I agree Ofsted won't get involved in monetary disputes, and you could support her through this.

If I were mum I would call the cm's bluff - chances are there is no lj in the first place and a 7 page diary is neither here nor there - you've probably given her much, much more than that already!

Miffy xx

primula
24-09-2010, 08:00 AM
this whole story is really shocking..
I thought that as a childcare professional you have a duty to work with children and families that may have additional needs?? I cant believe that she looked after him for that amount of time and did nothing? In my opinion i think the parent should speak to someone local authority/ofsted because this childminder didnt meet the needs of the child? so what else is going on?

caz3007
24-09-2010, 08:27 AM
I am gobsmacked that the cm gave notice because of the speech problems, I cant see how this would impact hugely on her setting and that its something that can be worked on, after all its not going to involve extra care at the expense of other children, they can all join in with anything necessary to help this child.

If the parent had given notice then I think she should have been prepared to clear the outstanding debt, but as it was the cm, then I feel the agreement should continue, hopefully as the mum seems like an honest woman she will still meet her obligations.

As to holding the LJ ransom that stinks, I thought these were ultimately the property of the parent and child

Mykidsrock
24-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I am gobsmacked that the cm gave notice because of the speech problems, I cant see how this would impact hugely on her setting and that its something that can be worked on, after all its not going to involve extra care at the expense of other children, they can all join in with anything necessary to help this child.

If the parent had given notice then I think she should have been prepared to clear the outstanding debt, but as it was the cm, then I feel the agreement should continue, hopefully as the mum seems like an honest woman she will still meet her obligations.

As to holding the LJ ransom that stinks, I thought these were ultimately the property of the parent and child

My thoughts exactly. Lo is lovely to work with and yes even I admit at times difficult to talk to/understand but it is perseverance and assistance that will assist LO not rejection.

Mum is quite rightly upset and I think she will take this up with Ofsted as personally I think it is fine to give notice, CM may have used the speech issue as an excuse, there may be another reason, another child not as demanding etc but the threatening text message is disgusting particularly when the debt was incurred through LO being in hospital fighting for their life! Ive seen all the documentation as mum wanted me to be fully informed about LO's medical history as the phenomia (sp) also gave LO a weaker immune system and it is clearly documented just how poorly LO truly was at the time they were in hospital. I think the word compassion springs to mind.

Mum has been fab with me, has kept me fully informed on LO (I only worlk 3 1/2 days a week with LO as that is all mum works) and we have a great parent/diary going back and forth that we fill in and also a diary I made for LO to fill in (i.e drawings etc about what they are doing). We have helped each other with speech resources and out of all the children I have looked after LO is such a delight to be around. Polite, helpful, interested and at times quite cheeky :laughing: Yes it is only early days for me and this may change (which may lead me to believe CM had another reason to give notice) but if this is how LO is the majority of the time and mum and dad continue how they have been then I see no issues.

Thank you all for your words of support both me, mum and LO appreciate it. x