PDA

View Full Version : mosquito bite- help needed?

VINASOL
21-09-2010, 03:20 PM
DS has had a bite on the calf of his leg and it has really swollen up and is 'rock hard' to touch - another parent told me it looked like a mosquito bite...he says that it hurts all the time, and hurts even more when he walks and itches like mad, so he went to see his teacher who wouldn't let him see the nurse and said it was nothing...looks quite bad to me...over-reacting?

What do you think?

caz3007
21-09-2010, 03:25 PM
DS has had a bite on the calf of his leg and it has really swollen up and is 'rock hard' to touch - another parent told me it looked like a mosquito bite...he says that it hurts all the time, and hurts even more when he walks and itches like mad, so he went to see his teacher who wouldn't let him see the nurse and said it was nothing...looks quite bad to me...over-reacting?

What do you think?

I had one on my forearm the other week and it was extremely painful swollen and hot. It went down after about 36 hours. Give him some Piriton and some Anthisan cream, those certainly helped

VINASOL
21-09-2010, 06:36 PM
have given him piriton and used cream and now blisters have formed...little pops of yukkiness....wonder waht bit him

Tribe_mummy
21-09-2010, 06:44 PM
My OH had one like that the other week, was burning hot to touch, gp had to give him a course of antibiotics as she said the heat was a sign of infection. Might be worth getting it checked if it gets any worse hun x

VINASOL
21-09-2010, 06:49 PM
gonna keep an eye on him tonight and see tomorrow; not sure if i should keep him off school though - hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.

none of us have ever had a bite that bad before actually

scamp
21-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Seeing as though it's got blisters (unless solely due to excessive scratching) then would take him down to out of hours GP centre as it could be something that needs antibiotics quickly especially if it's causing him a lot of pain and giving him a raised temp.

Zoomie
21-09-2010, 07:45 PM
blisters from a mosquito bite - NOT.

Take him to the GP as it doesn't sound right

Helen Dempster
21-09-2010, 09:14 PM
My 4yo son got bitten the other week - it was very hard, and very hot to the touch. It was also very, very painful (he couldn't walk even). I phoned GP and she too wrote me a prescription right then and there for a course of antibiotics. I think you should give her/him a call.

Hope all better soon.

miffy
21-09-2010, 09:15 PM
gonna keep an eye on him tonight and see tomorrow; not sure if i should keep him off school though - hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.

none of us have ever had a bite that bad before actually

I sometimes get bad reactions to bites - if there are little blisters of fluid around the bite area or if the redness tracks up or down his leg then take him to the GP he will probably give antibiotics.

Meantime anti-histamine tablets should help, get him to drink plenty of fluid and try to avoid scratching it.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
21-09-2010, 09:19 PM
if it doesn't go down by tomorrow tell him to get to docs. I know so many people this summer ended up with or nearly with cellulitis from insect bites hon. Best to get it checked out.

caz3007
21-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Mine went down after about 36 hours, but was worried and did say to hubby not to have a drink in case I wanted him to take me to the hospital drop in during the night. The pain was right up my arm and into my shoulder, but did get better after a couple of doses of piriton.

I often have bad reactions but usually when bitten on my feet, then foot and ankle swells. Hope your DS is ok, cos I know it was extremely painful

VINASOL
22-09-2010, 09:00 AM
update: went to docs this am, she took one look at it and said "THAT is infected and needs anibiotics"...so, am chuffed I took him. moaned at school either as DS wasn't even allowed to get someone to check.

Tribe_mummy
22-09-2010, 09:30 AM
update: went to docs this am, she took one look at it and said "THAT is infected and needs anibiotics"...so, am chuffed I took him. moaned at school either as DS wasn't even allowed to get someone to check.

Glad they have sorted him out, you should notice the difference after 24-48 hours. Too right you should complain to the school, they have a duty of care to your son and it's not the teachers responsibility to dismiss it as nothing. x

VINASOL
22-09-2010, 10:00 AM
that's what i think...the fact that his leg was so swollen should have warranted someone to look at it

The Juggler
22-09-2010, 05:30 PM
glad you got something for it honx

onceinabluemoon
23-09-2010, 06:06 AM
glad you got it sorted.

my youngest broke his ankle in the playground and wasn't allowed to go to first aid to get bit sorted! the MTA told him "oh go and play, its nothing!"

VINASOL
23-09-2010, 06:26 AM
i do think some schools need to look at their policies again; if teacher's aren't first aid trained (which in my school they are not) then children should be sent to someone who is.

My friend's daughters (who are 5, and identical twins) also got hurt in school: one broke their arm falling over a chair in class (mum wasn't called); the other (a few weeks later) had broken her collerbone whilst on a school trip (mum wasn't called); mum only found out when she went to collect chidlren even though neither one could lift their arm.

What harm would it do to send a child to the first-aider for heaven's sake!! off my soapbox now lol

miffy
23-09-2010, 06:39 AM

So glad you got it sorted - hope he's soon feeling much better.

I agree with you about the school's policies, perhaps a chat with the head is in order?

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
23-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Just read the thread as DD has an allergy to mosi bites. When she was young I thought she had had chicken pox - but after the 5th time was not so sure :rolleyes:

They came up in blisters and it was only when she had lots on her head after fishing in our lake with her dad that I realised - even GP said treat as CP!

Now she is 16 they seem to just go big, hard, hot and itchy - just like it does with me:o I had a week off school once when I was about 7 as I got one on my foot and couldn't walk or get shoes on!

My whole arm swelled once - had anti biotics then as GP said if it reached glands in armpit I could have been in trouble :eek: keep piriton in my bag.

Don't even get me onto the horsefly that bit me this summer :angry: !!!

Glad all is ok with your DS :)