PDA

View Full Version : stuck what to do, advice please?

crazyhazy
21-09-2010, 01:10 PM
I recently signed up a 12y meant to be before and after school mon-fri, when she came with mum to meet me, they said oh we forgot she has dancing mon & tue so won't need to come after school those days. Fair enough, she was due to start yesterday at 7am and didn't show, I sent a text about 8am and got a reply half an hour later saying thy'd slept in so she was heading straight to school. Again today she didn't show so I texted and got a reply saying she won't be coming today, no apology etc, then later I get another text saying I need to chat about changing hours x doesn't want to come to you in the morning so it will just be after school, is that ok? I haven't replied yet and don't really know what to do.

I charge £10 a day for after school sessions but she is at secondary school so will walk here, probably not getting to me until nearer 5pm. The only older mindee I have is 9y and doesn't come friday after school, I just don't know whether to cancel completely, I'm not convinced it's worth £30 a week to introduce another (potentially stroppy if my last mindee this age is anything to go by) mindee into the mix, it also means I'll be tied to the house after school waiting for her to arrive, so no more trips to the park etc. So, what would you do? I'm not desperate for work really, have filled my under 5 places and have one before/after schooler anyway who fits in well but would prob appreciate some older company.

Thanks x

jaja
21-09-2010, 01:14 PM
do whats right for you, if they dont fit in then you need to put your family first, get them in for a chat explain how you feel and see what they say, they might have found that the girl doesnt want to come to a minder but wants to do it herself, good luck xxxxx

Chimps Childminding
21-09-2010, 01:48 PM
do whats right for you, if they dont fit in then you need to put your family first, get them in for a chat explain how you feel and see what they say, they might have found that the girl doesnt want to come to a minder but wants to do it herself, good luck xxxxx

I agree, to be honest most of mine stop coming once they get to middle school, but I suppose it depends where they live, and what family/friends etc are about!!

Pipsqueak
21-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Not a good start at all is it?
Whats your gut reaction about this - do you want to do this - given the rocky start (ie them not having the courtesy to let you know the child wasn't coming:mad: , you having to text them, messing around the hours and days before they start etc).

by what you have said you don't want to and its obviously going to impact on other things. so i think you have your answer.

at the end of the day though you need to do whats right by you and your family (and other mindees)

CHEEKY BEE
21-09-2010, 02:10 PM
do whats right for u and ur mindees, if u don't need the money is it worth waiting in.

what happens if she is meant to arrive at 5pm and ur waiting in and she decides not to come, goes out with friends, etc

if u do decide to do it then I think u need to make it clear to them that they should have the courtesy to let u know times etc so ur not hanging around

crazyhazy
21-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, mum has just called me, I didn't feel I could refuse to have her right away so have said it's ok for her to come wed-fri afterschool for a couple of weeks and we'll see how it goes. If as I suspect it's going to cos problems then I'll terminate the contract then. Gah I wish I'd just said forget it but nevermind lol