PDA

View Full Version : parent being cheeky!

happy days
21-09-2010, 10:55 AM
hello there!
have posted before about giving notice to mickey taking parent, well gave mum notice last week, and she has just emailed me today saying, they have found another after school care provider, who can start tomorrow! however she is basically asking if she leaves tomorrow can she leave without a penalty because I gave the notice? and also I am not to mention to the LO anything about her leaving me! not allowed to say goodbye nothing!
what would you do? say no if you choose to leave early then you pay for notice period, or let her go because you knew it wouldn't be worth the hassle of trying to get money out of parents, ( they were reluctant to pay me when they were happy lol)
thanx

jaja
21-09-2010, 11:02 AM
no, dont let her get away with it, she is in a contract for a reason and its legally binding, its her choice to move lo and not yours so she pays the fees xxxx

Playmate
21-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I personally would just let them go. Nothing worse than trying to work with parents during a notice period, especially when it was you that gave notice :D

Mouse
21-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I assume you have a 4 week notice period?

If I wasn't worried about losing that particular parent, I'd be tempted to say they can leave immediately if they pay you 2 weeks notice money up front. That way you still get half the notice money, but finish with them straight away.

It is a shame they don't want you to say goodbye to the mindee though. It's not very fair on their child to make a big change without letting her know about it :(

pinky33
21-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Make her pay! Why let these people win, they get enough from us for pete's sake.
I would rather put up with a bit of hasstle from a parent than let them get what they want in this kind of situation.

Can you tell I'm fed up lol.

Hazel

kindredspirits
21-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I'd make them pay at least 2 weeks notice - and i'd also say goodbye to the LO on ther last day -its not for a parent to choose what comes out of my mouth! :rolleyes:

Bushpig
21-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I'd make them pay at least 2 weeks notice - and i'd also say goodbye to the LO on ther last day -its not for a parent to choose what comes out of my mouth! :rolleyes:

100% agree! You not saying goodbye will upset the lo terribly. Your job is to do what's best for HER, not her mum.

mrs c
21-09-2010, 11:11 AM
What does your contract say?
Mine is to have 2 weeks written notice from either me or the parent. Giving notice means you are informing them of the last day you will be working with/for them and usually you work up to that day with pay. If you have put a finish date on your termination letter then that is the date you should be paid until.
However, if things are turning nasty then I would rather cut my losses and let them finish earlier without the notice pay.

CHEEKY BEE
21-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi, regardless of whether ur gave notice or she did u should still get paid for ur notice period.

If u do agree to let her leave and not pay then take some advice as it might be worth wording an agreement and getting her to sign. From a legal point of view by not getting her to pay it can be seen as an admission of some wrong doing on ur part. I am not trying to frighten u it was just something I was advised on by the NCMA and I think if things might turn nasty u want to cover ur back. Get some legal advice.

Whatever u do agree get it in writing.

Mykidsrock
21-09-2010, 12:37 PM
If you have an agreed notice period on your contract to which she has signed then I would still expect her to pay it. It is her choice to remove LO before this period is over. Would she be happy if you gave notice of 4 weeks then in 2 weeks said oh you have to take LO now as I've got another mindee to start and leave her in the lurch to find someone else at such short notice? I would think not so why should or would it be acceptable for her to break the terms of the notice and leave you without a form of income for the LO that she has signed you are entitled to?

As for saying goodbye to LO. I would still say it, perhaps when mum is there and you can tell her together (if only to apease the mum). I think it is highly unfair on LO that you are being denied this by mum as you have been a big part of LO's life and this is going to be a big change for them.

Good luck though x

jemb
21-09-2010, 01:05 PM
I would let her go think it is fair all round. You gave notice to her in the first place and she had no choice but to look for alternative childcare. I dont think shes being cheeky at all. Think of it from her point of view. Its a tricky one and you probably could insist on the full notice payment, but if it were me I would let her go without causing ill-feeling - think thats more important. Unless your were really depending on the money...

And referring to parents as "these people" - whats that all about? I think working in partnership with parents is a two way street...

mum2two
21-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Personally, I would ask for half the notice period as a gesture of goodwill. You have a contract stating x weeks notice, & she wouldn't like it the other way round. (She'd found alternative to start in 4 weeks, & gave you notice, but you found someone who wanted to start with you tomorrow, so didn't want to have them!)

But, I wouldn't push it. It's not worth the hassle trying to get the money. Ask, then cut your losses....

x

rickysmiths
21-09-2010, 01:33 PM
It is for this very reason I now take a four week fees deposit when a contract is signed.
I mark that it non returnable and will be used to cover the four weeks notice period when the Contract eventually comes to an end. This way I will always be paid for my notice period and I have some money in hand if I get a non payer.

Pipsqueak
21-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I would let her go think it is fair all round. You gave notice to her in the first place and she had no choice but to look for alternative childcare. I dont think shes being cheeky at all. Think of it from her point of view. Its a tricky one and you probably could insist on the full notice payment, but if it were me I would let her go without causing ill-feeling - think thats more important. Unless your were really depending on the money...

And referring to parents as "these people" - whats that all about? I think working in partnership with parents is a two way street...

Irrespective of whether the OP gave notice or not, the contract is there for a reason - to protect both parties. And no i don't think its 'fair all round'. The parent owes this money either because the minder has worked it or its payment in lieu. In all sorts of contracts there are penalty clauses - whether we like them or not and this parent signed a legally binding contract - otherwise what point of contracts.
Its all well and good advising to think about it from the parental POV - however as I am a working parent too - who very actively engages with and works with parents - I am also working to provide food, clothes, housing and a standard of living for MY family. Again its about professionalism and respect works both ways. Just because we are in the caring profession that does not mean we have to roll over and woof each time a parent thinks we should.

So to the OP - my answer is - the parent has signed a contract - you have abided by your side of the contract therefore she should too - whether thats using your services during notice period or paying you in lieu. However, its up to you if you feel you could be generous enough to perhaps negotiate a settlement that is satisfactory to both of you.

As for using the terms 'these people' - I honestly don't think its meant in a sweeping derogatory term - its just something that is said. Many of us minders who have experienced the 'bad side' of parents (non payers, those who have no respect for us etc) then you can become a little jaded and a little upset on behalf of a colleague.
You will see throughout the forum there are a lot of things said, often in jest or tongue in cheek or just as a way to vent/express. there is no harm meant.
Partnership working as i said before works two ways and its not just for the minder to bow down to everything a parent wants.

happy days
21-09-2010, 01:43 PM
ok thanx guys, the reason i gave notice because i have been mucked about so much by mum and dictated on everything! In the termination letter I put 4 weeks notice and gave her the last official date i am responsible for her child. In a way I see it as her choice she has found someone less than a week later and if she had treated me better I wouldn't have given notice. I think I will say I would like the full notice period but if becomes a struggle or get nasty then will prob let it go.
As for not saying goodbye I do its harsh as its nothing to do with her letting them go and she will Have to see me at the school doing pick ups for other children and wondered what she had done wrong !

Pipsqueak
21-09-2010, 01:47 PM
ok thanx guys, the reason i gave notice because i have been mucked about so much by mum and dictated on everything! In the termination letter I put 4 weeks notice and gave her the last official date i am responsible for her child. In a way I see it as her choice she has found someone less than a week later and if she had treated me better I wouldn't have given notice. I think I will say I would like the full notice period but if becomes a struggle or get nasty then will prob let it go.
As for not saying goodbye I do its harsh as its nothing to do with her letting them go and she will Have to see at the school doing pick ups for other children and wondered what she had done wrong !

It sounds like you made the right decision in letting the parent/child go. However you do not need to justify why you let them go.:)

And yes, I would say goodbye and give an extra nice huggy:D i think parents do not realise how attached we can become to our charges - even in a short space of time.

Mookins
21-09-2010, 04:15 PM
i dont know about you hun but i certainly cant afford to lose ANY money so would def charge her what the contract states

xx

pinky33
21-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I said these people in refrence to the ones that muck us around. I work with my parents but have no respect to the parents that can't respect the good work we do.

I don't think I'm going to bother responding anymore as I don't want to have to proof read everything thing I say :(

hazel

suez
21-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I said these people in refrence to the ones that muck us around. I work with my parents but have no respect to the parents that can't respect the good work we do.

I don't think I'm going to bother responding anymore as I don't want to have to proof read everything thing I say :(

hazel

hey, we all have a opinion ! you can voice yours too, i think most of us on here knew wat you meant when you said 'these people' i think it was just taken in the wrong way x

FussyElmo
21-09-2010, 05:35 PM
My head is saying make them honour the notice period however if I gave notice and they asked to leave early I think I would agree to it.