PDA

View Full Version : Is he pushing boundaries / testing me or what?

Fitrix
21-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I have a new mindee - he's fine, has settled in well. But sometimes I find his behaviour quite deliberately disruptive. For example, he will for example, take the battery casing off the back of a toy and then hold it up smiling and say "look what I've got". Or bring a cup of sand in from outside and say similar. They are not huge problems in themselves, but its almost although he's testing me to see what I'll do/say. The mindees have free access to all toys books and puzzles, but he'll empty a puzzle out on the floor and then go and get another one - and do the same so they all get mixed up. This sort of thing does wind me up, but obviously I don't let the kids see that. Its like he senses it and tries to press my buttons. There are loads of other examples and fussy eating etc (even though his parents tell me he eats anything and everything...) I have had this sort of behviour quite a few times with mindees who are new to my setting at age 3 and upwards. Does anyone else have this or am I being way too critical??

helenlc
21-09-2010, 09:10 AM
You dont say how old this child is?

But basically, yes he is testing your boundaries. He is seeing what he can get away with, how far he can push you etc.

You need to be firm and consistent with him. Make him clear the puzzles up. Say to him that you are happy for him to play with the puzzles but if they get all mixed up, it spoils it for the other children.

He needs to get to know your rules and you need to re-affirm these to him.

If you are consistently firm and stick to the same rules for everyone, then hopefully he will soon get the right idea. Once he realises you are not going to cave in, he will give up.

teacake2
21-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I have a 2 year old just started and he is doing exactly the same, testing the boundaries and see how far he can go without a reaction, one of the other ones I have (the same age) is very easily led and the new one has picked up on this already (only 2nd full week), they are copying each other now so I have double trouble:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Teacake2

RainbowMum
21-09-2010, 03:20 PM
some of it yes - but emptying boxes is just another way of playing - its interesting to him and should be allowed - show him to help put the toys back when finished.