PDA

View Full Version : changing facilities

KarenM
20-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Does anybody use a separate area for changing? and where do you change the children? My Do was happy enough for this to be a changing mat wherever I needed to change the children, but what is OFSTED's opinion? Never had to think about it before being in a nursery, but reading through the standards it asked about changing facilities.

funemnx
20-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I use a changing mat on the sitting room floor, as long as it's cleaned after use, I think (hope) Ofsted are OK with it :)

sarah707
20-09-2010, 05:15 PM
I use a changing mat on my sofa bed because my knees can't cope with the floor any more.

The sofa bed has a waterproof cover on it in case of accidents.

I have risk assessed this as being the best way of doing things :D

MAWI
20-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Ive struggled with this one too.
I think as long as you have Risk Assessed it as to why you use a certain area, area is sanitized and all healthy practices are in place, I dont think there is a particular place that you must use. All our settings are different and no home is the same so not sure if they could stipulate a defined area.

Someone else may have more knowledge on this one. I havent had an OFSTED inspection lately but I am due one, so would be interested to know.

My practice is on a changing mat with a bit of BlueRoll for each child, gloves used, handwashed afterwards, mine and mindees and then sanitized ( on floor in bathroom) I have had my CMDO watch this practice and no comments were made.

:)

little chickee
20-09-2010, 05:30 PM
i always change nappies on a mat on the bathroom floor. Never anywhere else. I live in a bungalow and the bathroom is in a central position so i'm never too far away from mindees.

The only exception would be in the summer when we are outside and i take the mat outside so as not to leave mindees unattended.

tinynippers
20-09-2010, 05:33 PM
i asked my inspector about this and she said as long as a changing mat was used & that it was cleaned after each use it didnt really matter where it was. as long as all children are safe . xx

KarenM
20-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I didn't do anything wrong when I have my inspection.

sophiestars
20-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I change mine on a mat in the hallway. It's away from all the 'playing areas' and a bit more private for mindee being changed, but I can still hear/see other mindees.

mama2three
21-09-2010, 06:27 AM
yet again it depends on your inspector!
As well as the obvious hygeine requirements , my inspector ( prereg) reminded me of the mindees need for respect and some privacy / dignity regardless of their age ...she mentioned she would be unhappy to see a mindee being changed in full view of playing children.
I did put my mat just out into the hall to try and balance supervising the other children with this - but have now reclaimed some worksurface in my utility room to use as a changing station. It works really well and is next to the downstairs loo and sink.

miffy
21-09-2010, 06:43 AM
yet again it depends on your inspector!
As well as the obvious hygeine requirements , my inspector ( prereg) reminded me of the mindees need for respect and some privacy / dignity regardless of their age ...she mentioned she would be unhappy to see a mindee being changed in full view of playing children.

It is a tricky one, especially as older mindees often want to watch/help with nappy changes! :rolleyes:

I always change children on their own mat on the floor but where I change them depends on who's present - if I've other little ones I can't leave then it's in the hall with the door slightly open so I can see them.

So long as you are able to justify to an inspector why you are doing what you're doing you should be OK

Miffy xx

Daftbat
21-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Using a changing mat wherever you need to is my way. It can depend on the other chidlren you are looking after - since they may be ones that you need to keep out of the way whilst you are changing another one. I know i have had some children who are trying to "help" me in the past. I also have a dog and so need to keep away from his sensitive nose when i am doing nappy changes:laughing: