PDA

View Full Version : fitting everything in to please everyone

desiderata
20-09-2010, 04:28 PM
At the moment I have 2 yr old 3rd and 18 month old. 3 year old has started nursery and we have pick up at 11.30. 18 mth old comes at 8 in morning until 430 ish . Somedays he has a sleep others he doesnt. We go to playgroups or minders sessions, mon tues thurs one week or tue wed thur next week.
Well now mum of 18 month old has just tried to dictate to me that he has 2 hours sleep at home so he HAS TO HAVE 2 hours sleep here!! I am not registered to use upstairs as I have 3 rooms and a kitchen and toilet downstairs so I keep upstairs for my grown up children and privacy. When this child is tired he goes to sleep willingly and wakes up when ready usually around 1 hr 1 15 minx.
I tried to explain I cant put him upstairs as she is now asking as it is not registered but she says "I GIVE YOU MY PERMISSION" and says he has to go down at 11.30 for 2 hours. I have tried to explain that I dont just look after her child and that I pick up from nursery etc and have to give lunch but she just wont listen to me.xxx Any suggestions please I would be very gratefulxx

sarah707
20-09-2010, 05:00 PM
There has to be a certain amount of give and take and flexibility.

I suggest you explain to mum exactly what you can and cannot do and let her decide whether her son is in the right place for her needs.

It's a tough one because children often have different routines here to at home and parents generally understand that.

I did wonder - would it be worth registering upstairs and putting him on a monitor?

Hth :D

gegele
20-09-2010, 05:05 PM
why don't you put her to bed after lunch?

when DD was going to nursery at 1 i use to do lunch at 12, go to nursery run by 12.45 by 1.10 i was back and little ones were asleep in the car, put them in cot arrived home and wake them for scholl run at 2.40!

little one must be over tired in the evning and mum must be struggling :(
to be honest i would expect my 18months old to be put to bed that she like it or not!

1 mindee prefer going in buggy with a cover over the buggy!:thumbsup:

good luck

Alibali
20-09-2010, 05:29 PM
We have a fairly standard routine here what with nusrery, school, groups etc and I try to keep each day similar fore the lo's so they are in a routine, most of my parents realise that I have to do things to certain times and they usually adapt home routines to fit in with mine!

I always put my under two's down for a rest after lunch and they will have however long they need (until 2.45 that is!). Babies can still nap in the mornings too.

Try explaining your daily routine to Mum, perhaps giving her a copy of youyr daily planner specificcaly outlined with what you do for her lo and sit and have a chat with her. I find that children that age strive on routine. Hope it goes well.

jelly15
20-09-2010, 06:06 PM
You always get the odd parent that won't accept the fact that the other children are as important as theirs. I like the idea of a daily timetable showing her your day and perhaps then she will get it, if not then she will just have to find a different setting.

miffy
20-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Tricky one but at the end of the day all you can do is tell the parent what you can and can't do then it's up to them to decide whether they leave their child with you or take them elsewhere

Miffy xx

Daftbat
21-09-2010, 06:41 AM
I agree with Sarah that you need to sit her down and tell her what you can and can't do. If she is this adamant then shhe needs to decide whether the child should be with you - I have had quite a few times where the routine is different at my house than at home but the overall effect has been the same i.e. the amount of sleep a child has is the same.

Like others I usually put my youngest children down for a nap after lunch for about an hour and a half (dictated by school run).

To be honest this parent sounds like the type that turns in to a problem like lots of the problem parent posts you see on here - sorry:panic:

snufflepuff
21-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Parents choosing a CM need to understand that there will be other children to cater for, not just their own. If she wants everything to revolve around her child she needs a nanny.
If I we're in your situation i'd tell her that you cannot take her child upstairs under any circumstances, even with parents permission. It is not registered therefore not insured or risk assessed. Explain your routine and show her what times her child could sleep- maybe straight after the nursery run so i'm guessing about 12 instead of 11.30? She also needs to understand that you can't make a child sleep longer than they want to, if LO wakes after 1 hour what can you do?? There's no way of 'forcing' them to sleep longer.