PDA

View Full Version : unpaid holiday - what if parents are off at the same time (christmas)

mrs.h
18-09-2010, 01:39 PM
hello,

i am not getting paid for my holidays or bank holidays. this year i want to take time off over christmas and have asked parents if two weeks are managable for them as i don't want to leave them in a pickle. they replied that they are taking quite a lot of time off themselves and that it is no problem. last year they sent lo any way when they were off, therefore i am missing out on them paying me, aren't i? it is going to be a who ever gives notice about their hol's first loses out. IYKWIM

is it too late to change my policy in bankholidays and change it so that i get paid :idea: ?

thank you,

mrs.h

carolyn01
18-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi,

Yes I too have to play the waiting game as you will find most parents will take some holiday off over christmas and you will lose out - so I just wait it out and hope for the best. Unless you really need to have the time off, I would sit back and wait for them to tell you their holiday dates.

FussyElmo
18-09-2010, 02:07 PM
But seeing as they sent lo last year I wouldnt count on them giving you their dates.

As you have already spoken to them I would just tell them the holidays you were having.

It never bothers me if the parent wants to conincide.

funfunfun
18-09-2010, 02:21 PM
I dont charge for my time off holidays etc

I do however charge for when the mindees are off weather this be sickness or holidays as im still available to work !!!

tashaleee
18-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I used to hate this - so I now close between xmas and new year and charge half fees for contracted days :thumbsup:

The Juggler
18-09-2010, 03:00 PM
hello,

i am not getting paid for my holidays or bank holidays. this year i want to take time off over christmas and have asked parents if two weeks are managable for them as i don't want to leave them in a pickle. they replied that they are taking quite a lot of time off themselves and that it is no problem. last year they sent lo any way when they were off, therefore i am missing out on them paying me, aren't i? it is going to be a who ever gives notice about their hol's first loses out. IYKWIM

is it too late to change my policy in bankholidays and change it so that i get paid :idea: ?

thank you,

mrs.h

hon, I think it would be hard to bring in paid holiday for yourself with parents who signed a contract based on the fact that you don't.:( It seems like they would send their children if you were working anyway, regardless of who gave notice of the holiday first. I know it's annoying but take your time off and enjoy it:)

wendywu
18-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I put in a form with a calendar in mid Nov and ask them to mark the days i am needed. I ask for it to be returned by the end of the week.

But i get paid for all BH even if it is in the middle of an unpaid holiday, if you get my drift. :rolleyes:

miffy
18-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Christmas is the one time of year I want the holiday time off so I don't charge (not even the BH's) and just enjoy my time with my family.

I don't think you can change the contracts just so you get paid over Christmas but bear it in mind when you review them and do it then

Miffy xx

WibbleWobble
18-09-2010, 04:32 PM
one of my mums works in retail so xmas is her busiest time. her hubby is a sky tv fitter and apparently there is always a rush on before the big day. She has asked me if i am open all xmas..except the Bhs..and i am...my kids are grown up. Dont know if DD1 will come up for xmas and my OH only gets the Bhs off.

I know one of my mindees will probably be off as her mum takes time off during school hols. I will be left with my under 4s....i cant think of anything better really:thumbsup:

mandy xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
18-09-2010, 04:33 PM
When I send my November invoices out I put a note in the email asking whether my services are required over the Christmas period

Some come back and say no - I get paid and some say yes and then I choose whether to work, take holiday from them or get another childminder to have them

snufflepuff
18-09-2010, 05:46 PM
This will be my first Christmas as a childminder. I like the sound of Debbies method- ask the parents if they are likely to need me and if they say no that is their choice so they still pay me. If they say yes I either work it or tell them I'm taking it as unpaid holiday. All my parents pay equal monthly payments including pay for all bank holidays so that's already covered.

funfunfun
18-09-2010, 05:49 PM
hmmm

I have already spoken to 1 mindees parents who will need me as dad works in care and mum at the doc's so she will be working xmas eve and i will only have mindee until 4.30 not too bad

mushpea
18-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I played the waiting game one year and gambled on working and wished i hadnt,, ever since I give my christmas holiday dates around september october time,, usualy i also tell the parents on first meeting that i shut from chrismtas eve to the day they go back to school as i know i wont want to work over christmas.

funemnx
18-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I've played russian roulette with the christmas hols before, but last year I caved and just booked the time off - day before xmas eve, xmas eve and the week between xmas and new year. It was lovely! So, I'm booking this year off and blow the money! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

carol cameron
18-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I take two blissful weeks off at Christmas and charge my parents half fees as I have found that all of them take time off and it's really not worth my while opening for 1 or 2 children. I take my other two weeks off in the summer and they pay half fees then too.However, parents are given all my holiday dates for the year each January so they can book the same time off if they wish. It's worked for 13 years so far:)

naartjies
18-09-2010, 07:49 PM
I take 5 weeks unpaid leave a year. 3 of my families are term time only and only 1 pays a retainer. 2 Families I have all year except my 5 weeks. I would prefer having no children during the holidays as my 3 prefer this (ages 12,10 and 7) However I have just told them that because I work the holidays we can now afford to do more things and have better holidays away. My feelings are that if I want the extra money then i need to work during the holidays.:rolleyes:
This has made me wonder if most childminders charge a holiday retainer??

chels55
18-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I have already given Christmas dates, giving parents plenty of notice. The first year i started childminding i just expected the parents not bring the children over the christmas week and then ended up with two days off!! never again!! i would rather have peace of mind that i can have a good relaxing family christmas, even though its unpaid

mrs.h
18-09-2010, 07:58 PM
thank you so much for your answers. it is interesting to read all your different ways of doing and dealing with things. :)

i really like debbie's way of doing it. but i also like the idea of just taking two weeks off and forget about the money. however, one family has had one paid week off this year and sent the lo when they are off too :rolleyes: i just want them to walk all over me this time, time to get tough and rethink my terms and conditions :thumbsup:

mrs.h

RachelE
18-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I dont charge for hols.

When I first registered, I continued to work through the hols, on the basis that I would just be quieter.

However, having a small child, I resented getting up for 2 children. I had to move all ds's C'mas pressies as they were getting broken and I felt the holiday season was ruined.

I now, close, expect no pay for 1/2 weeks, but know I will have the time off. It is important for my children to have some time at home, with their presents and know that noone will be wanting them to share them.

Its easier to know where you stand from the off.

However, if you dont have young children, it would be different!

Rachel x

Chimps Childminding
18-09-2010, 09:08 PM
I close for 2 weeks over christmas. I used to offer to work, but usually ended up with only one child the odd day, and then as said had to make sure all my kids presents were out of the way, they couldn't get things out if it has small pieces etc etc. so even tho mine are now 19 and 18, I still don't work over Christmas, its just nice not to have to worry about lo's pulling the tree over :eek: etc.

aly
18-09-2010, 09:57 PM
my cm friend has stated her hols to q parent..2 1.5 weeks over xmas..parent is off 3 weeks, so my friend has stated she will not charge for her days but she will charge for the parents days off over that period...

Chatterbox Childcare
18-09-2010, 10:02 PM
thank you so much for your answers. it is interesting to read all your different ways of doing and dealing with things. :)

i really like debbie's way of doing it. but i also like the idea of just taking two weeks off and forget about the money. however, one family has had one paid week off this year and sent the lo when they are off too :rolleyes: i just want them to walk all over me this time, time to get tough and rethink my terms and conditions :thumbsup:

mrs.h

If I had a parent who sent even if they were off I would speak to them in December and offer a 1/2 and 1/2 payment basis - usually find that if they are saving money they will go for it

mrs.h
18-09-2010, 10:39 PM
i just want them to walk all over me this time, time to get tough and rethink my terms and conditions :thumbsup:

mrs.h

what the heck??? i just don't want them to walk all over me this time of course!

1/2 is a good idea, thank you debbie! i will write something and hand it out soon.

mrs.h

Zoomie
19-09-2010, 08:06 AM
This is my 2nd Christmas as a cm and we are all having a holiday again as no way am I working. My children make many sacrifices during the year and deserve me all to themselves :D .

I accept that I don't get paid and usually start squirrelling some money away between now and Xmas so that we are not skint.

funfunfun
19-09-2010, 08:11 AM
I think i will maybe next month send out a calander as debbie said so i can give a bit over 4 weeks notice to the time off i will take

Think i will stop xmas eve ..................and return on th 2nd of july :)

shelly2012
19-09-2010, 08:14 AM
I like the idea of sending out the calendar :) My parents are self employed so they will be sending their kids during xmas so I working till 5 xmas eve then back on the tuesday (time half) :mad:

i think I will chang it next year as I want to spend time with my kids but it is so difficult as 1 of my parents works in retail and she a single parent so she only got me for looking after kids. I kinda feel bad cause she needs me.

shelly2012
19-09-2010, 08:15 AM
i like the idea of returning 2nd of july paid of course :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

FussyElmo
19-09-2010, 08:18 AM
I think i will maybe next month send out a calander as debbie said so i can give a bit over 4 weeks notice to the time off i will take

Think i will stop xmas eve ..................and return on th 2nd of july :)

thats one good holiday - dont think my parents will go for it :laughing:

The Juggler
19-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I always have the week between xmas and New Year off:)

berkschick
19-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I have never "booked" the time off but have always managed to get it off paid apart from one little one whos parents send him for one shorter day so they can go shopping in the sales!

I always increase my fees in January and have just handed out the fee increase letters with a bit at the bottom asking everyone to let me know what their plans over the festive period are. I have taken xmas eve and new years eve off this year but stated that I will be open other than that. All the replies I have had back so far suggest that I will get the week off between xmas and new year again!

I think it depends on the parents you have. I have had most of my children for 3 years now and know they normally have that time off anyway so I took the risk!

kirsty1329
19-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't charge for my holidays and xmas is one holiday I always have off. What I do is work out the fees for a year deduct 4 weeks for my holidays and then the parent pays the same fees every week/month whether they are on holiday or I am. It means I have something coming in each month.

Kirsty xxx

singingcactus
19-09-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't charge for my time off and have no intention of playing games to try to get parents to pay half rate over holiday I plan to have off anyway.
But it does add up to one less week off that the parents have available from work, so you will have an extra week of full pay during the rest of the year...perhaps...depending on what you have worked into your charges.

kindredspirits
20-09-2010, 07:45 AM
I love minding over christmas!!!!! :clapping: This year I will be taking off the 17th-21st december as we are going to Newquay - we will be back for the 22nd and I am happy to work as much as I need to - I only have under 3's in my care so its all magical for them - I am guessing this year I will work up to about mid-day on xmas eve as its a friday so parents are likely to finish early.
We are not celebrating christmas this year anyway so my son won't be missing out on anything by me working. Might have a party on the solstice though! :thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
20-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I finish the evening the schools close & start back the first Monday after new year...

I don't charge for my holidays & give all parents my dates September time...

I love spending xmas with my own family :D

Rubybubbles
20-09-2010, 09:50 AM
If I didn't book time off parents would use me all over xmas even though they are off:rolleyes:

TheBTeam
20-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I do not charge for my holidays, and state at the outset of the contract that i take around 4-5 weeks, and one is always between xmas and the new year as i like to spend time with my own children.

Same here i dont want to take the chance of ending up with an odd mindee here or there!

mrsbish01
20-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi
I had contracts with no fee for my holidays, full fees for parents holidays too. I realised it was a little unfair on both sides, as my holidays were unpaid it meant i couldnt afford to take any as id be losing a wage and paying to go away. It was unfair to parents as when they wanted a holiday they'd have to pay for me plus the holiday...
When i suggested it to both sets of parents they both bit my arm off.. my single parent booked a holiday within 1 week saying she could now afford it due to half fees.
Have a word with each of them.. not mentioning xmas as such, but just suggest it 'i dont take many holidays so if you were waiting for me, you'd never get one'.
xxx

The Juggler
20-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I love minding over christmas!!!!! :clapping: This year I will be taking off the 17th-21st december as we are going to Newquay - we will be back for the 22nd and I am happy to work as much as I need to - I only have under 3's in my care so its all magical for them - I am guessing this year I will work up to about mid-day on xmas eve as its a friday so parents are likely to finish early.
We are not celebrating christmas this year anyway so my son won't be missing out on anything by me working. Might have a party on the solstice though! :thumbsup:

why you not celebrating hon, do you not normally?

Cazz
20-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I've been giving this some thought as well! I would like some time to spend time with my family but the way things are at the moment I'd only have 1 family who could possibly need me on the Tuesday & Wednesday but don't know if they would yet :rolleyes:

I've set my fees so that their time off is half fees for 4 weeks or more notice and full fees if they give less than 4 weeks so I think I'll do a newsletter soon and remind me of this and not to forget to give me as much notice as possible of time off so they're not charge full fees :thumbsup:

Then I'll decide whether to just work the Tuesday and Wednesday or book it off myself!

Chatterbox Childcare
21-09-2010, 05:41 AM
I have 14 different families so it would cost me too much to close so I play the waiting game.

I don't have young children (mine are 14 and 19) so I can work if required but I hope I don't have to

funfunfun
21-09-2010, 07:59 PM
[/COLOR]

thats one good holiday - dont think my parents will go for it :laughing:

I wish :laughing::blush:

funfunfun
21-09-2010, 08:00 PM

I have 3 under 3's my first xmas minding see how it goes x