PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Sunday?

venus89
18-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I've had an enquiry for Monday, Friday and Sunday - good long hours (7 on the Sundays and longer the other two days). But do I want to work on a Sunday? The money would certainly come in handy but if Sunday was every week, could I charge double time or time and a half every week? And how on earth could I sell that to dh? And,as she's a baby, 16 months I think, could she just join in with my family on the Sundays and what we do (in the holidays, for instance, I drop the planning and go with the flow with my mindees rather than be all planned and organised) or would I have to do proper minding?! Do I want to work 6 days a week? Would I cope? Am I coping now?! Hmmmmmm :panic:

snufflepuff
18-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I'd work Sundays but i'd charge double (any parent expecting Sundays for normal fees needs to wake up and smell the coffee IMO!) I don't think i'd do it if i was already working 5 full days a week though to be honest, that's a bit too much especially if you have your own children to think about. I'd make it clear that Sundays will be relaxed, no fixed plans, no organised activities, just lots of free play and nice things like trips to the park etc.

little chickee
18-09-2010, 10:35 AM
I would not work a Sunday unless i was desparate for the money. I have a hubby and 3 kids and thats our down time.

However if i did it would absolutley be double time - and maybe a added fixed fee eg £20 because its a sunday.

I would be clear that there would be no fixed planning just fitting in with me and my family.

But i would really prefer not to do it at all. We all need a break and some time off!!

funfunfun
18-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Wouldnt you have to do somthing though in regards to EYFS as its still minding ?? regardless of weather its a sunday or not :blush:

I wouldnt do it .............i only work tuesday-friday ...no one needs me on a monday :) And to be honest i have 3 mindees part time and the money is comfortable for me .

Everyone is different :)

venus89
18-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Hmmmm...... well the money would come in handy, but the disruption would be a pain. I barely seem to have enough weekend as it is, and with the EYPS starting next week my time is precious..... But then all my other mindees are leaving next year. And the money....

funfunfun
18-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Have a long think about it before you make a decision

I work some days until 7 though and with 2 young children in the house myself there is just no way id work a weekend .............as you said barley enough time in it as there is !!

Good luck with it all though if you decide to take it on .

sfox2003
18-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I work weekends BUT only for extra money & to help people out. I dont think I could make it a regular thing.

Im working today & tomorrow. I charge time & a half roughly. BUT I wont start before 9am at the weekend! So I start an hour later so do 9am-6pm for £40.00

Like I say though I only do it once in a blue moon. I really couldnt do it every week. It depends what you like to do at weekends. I like to cook a meal & have a bottle of wine or two with hubby Fri/Sat nights. Cant do that if Im minding the next day. I do it for the money, but I hate having to clock watch & set my alarm clock at weekend.

Although, its good money & hubby is around so that makes it easier having an extra pair of hands.

Just weigh it up.

snufflepuff
18-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Wouldnt you have to do somthing though in regards to EYFS as its still minding ?? regardless of weather its a sunday or not

Lots of the things i'd normally do on a Sunday could fit in to the EYFS somehow. Depends on age of course but LO could help prepare lunch (physical skills, learning about foods, nutrition, how things change when cooked etc), help with the gorcery shopping (counting, money, learning about foods, sorting), help sort clean clothes ready for ironing (colours, counting etc) plus just general free play or going for a walk all fits in too. You could still be meeting the EYFS without doing any planned, structured activities. (And be getting double money for it, lol!)

gegele
18-09-2010, 12:40 PM
EYFS is not what you should think of as you can link it with everything, she under 3 so you don't have to have strict planning you just need to follow her interest.

the important thing is could your family agree to share you 1more day?

i work every sunday as a carer i work from 16-22 about and it's a strain as we can't go too far as i need to be back by 3 can't go on week end....

you wouldn't be able to go to sleep over somewhere on the saturday so if you went to a family party or something you wouldn't be able to stay (or drink) as you'd work the day after...)

i would advise to maybe agree 1 every 2 weeks at the push.

good luck

sarah707
18-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I made the decision recently to work on a Sunday but as it happens it all fell through.

I said I would charge time and a half.

My children were ok about it and we decided that whatever we did we would just take the lo with us.

However looking back at the things we have done as a family in our weekends I am glad it fell through.

It would have been hard work for little reward and we wouldn't have had any of the flexibility that we get now my 2 are older.

Hth :D

The Juggler
18-09-2010, 01:21 PM
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: no, no, no. sorry. Sundays are preciousx I might do if it were short term contract but otherwise no. What about your coursework hon?

FussyElmo
18-09-2010, 02:13 PM
No sundays are sometimes the only day I really get off. Saturdays are always so busy.

However if my children were older then I might consider it :thumbsup:

tulip0803
18-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I work 8 1/2 hours on a Sunday (respite for disabled mum) for a 1 year old. LO has been coming for about 6 months now and is really easygoing and fits in with whatever we are doing. I get paid a little over double time for it. My children love having LO here. I wouldn't take on any more on a Sunday at the moment though one extra is enough for me:D

miffy
18-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't work on a Sunday but if I had to I'd charge double time.

Miffy xx

hayleychildcare
18-09-2010, 05:13 PM
I work every Saturday and have a Sunday off. I charge double time for a saturday and Lo just fits in with what we as a family are doing. My kids are 15 and 10 and lo is 4.

Today we have went to play golf Im sure that will fit in with EYFS somewhere :thumbsup:

crazyhazy
18-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I work every saturday and in many ways really regret agreeing to it. It's for my first mindee and she left back in june when mum finished college, leaving me with no mindees again so when she asked if I'd work saturdays I wasn't in a position to turn down work. But by the time she started her job a few weeks ago I was pretty full, so am now working 7am-6/6.30pm mon-fri and a saturday morning too. The thing is it's agency care work she does so it's only usually a couple of hours, like today was 830-1030 so doesn't spoil the whole day but does spoil my lie in! On the plus side the mindee is the same age as my eldest and they get on well, so the kids like it! I normally charge £3.50ph but charge £5ph for evenings and weekends. My current plan is to keep it up till xmas and reassess then.

mushpea
18-09-2010, 06:27 PM
at the moment i am full during the week and am earning enough not to warrent weekend work plus my two are still young and i want weekends to be their time doing what they want without others being there, however if i was strapped for cash or my two were at an age were hanging out with me is uncool then i would consider weekend work but would be time and a half for saturdays and double time for sundays.
as for the eyfs anything can count towards that, even free play ie teaching them to play independantly and developing their imagination and social skills.

Mookins
18-09-2010, 07:10 PM
my mindees ive just signed up, hinted that she would like to work sundays....to be honest i have talked it over with hubby, we are struggling due to him not workng for nearly a year (back operation)

but i work saturdays at my local village shop and so not sure cos that would be 7 days week:eek:

tempting but could i handle it...am new to all this so dont want to bite off more than i can chew!

xx