PDA

View Full Version : relocating to Wiltshire....what is minding like?

mumx3
18-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Due to husbands job we are possibly going to be relocating to Wiltshire. The Chippenham....Bath....Bradford upon Avon triangle area.

Just wondering if anyone is minding in this area and what sort of fees you are getting per hour.

I am a spolied Londoner on £5.50 per hour or £50 per day...and just wondering what sort of charges are realistic.

If minding isnt viable I will have to look at alternative employment....not something I want to do as I love minding.

Please help!

barbarella68
18-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I live in Calne near Chippenham and I charge £3.50 an hour. Not much going on in childminding at moment in my area for some reason, so might be slow to start with.

snufflepuff
18-09-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm in Devizes (about 10 minutes from Calne/ 20 minutes from Chippenham) and charges vary from about £3.20 to £3.75 round here, £4 ish top end.

mumx3
18-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi there

Thanks so much for the resonses so far. I think I could swallow the £3.50 per hour but I dont think I would want to do it for any less.....I know I have been spoiled with London prices.

Is there a good amount of work? Or are things slow?

Which school do you recommend? I have 3 children of my own. One aged 12 (almost) one aged 6 (almost) and one who is 2 and a half.

I need a primary school, secondary school and a pre-school! lol!

I really apreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

We have been considering Melksham...I have never visited but looking at houses on the net. What is it like? Any good areas? Or any areas to avoid?!

As much info on the area as poss would be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Chatterbox Childcare
18-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I am in Swindon and rates are around £4 an hour and we are flat out.

Nice busy place to live depending on where you are (as with any town) schools aren't bad and we are 20mins on the M4 to Chippenham.

Hope that helps

snufflepuff
18-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Melksham is a nice place- OH's parents live there and I worked as a nanny there. Melksham is a good 'central' town, as in you can get to several other towns quickly and easily- it's not far from Bath, Trowbridge, Chippenham, Devizes for example. Depends what you are looking for really, if you like the fast pace of London i'd say Melksham may be too quiet for you. Swindon is much busier and more lively, as is Bath, but Bath houseprices are really, really high whereas Swindon prices are much more reasonable. Melksham house prices are reasonable too and there are some very nice areas with lovely houses.

Shirlwith3
19-09-2010, 05:51 AM
I am in amesbury ( nr Stonehenge) we charge between £3 - £3.50 but like others have said it is very quiet around here, I am having trouble filling my 3 under 5 places.

nokidshere
19-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi there

Thanks so much for the resonses so far. I think I could swallow the £3.50 per hour but I dont think I would want to do it for any less.....I know I have been spoiled with London prices.

Is there a good amount of work? Or are things slow? I live near Trowbridge. I have 10 children every nght after school and have a waiting list of half a dozen or more! I charge £4 per hour. I have turned away at least 10 enquiries in the past few weeks for under 5's (I dont offer daytime care anymore)

Which school do you recommend? I have 3 children of my own. One aged 12 (almost) one aged 6 (almost) and one who is 2 and a half. My oldest son goes to St Laurence in Bradford on Avon which is a really good secondary school, my youngest the The Mead in Hilperton which is outstanding. There are quite a few decent day nurseries around in all the areas.

I really apreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

We have been considering Melksham...I have never visited but looking at houses on the net. What is it like? Any good areas? Or any areas to avoid?! I don't know Melksham all that well but there are some nice areas there as with everywhere. The brand new purpose built secondary school (Melksham Oaks) is state of the art and already earning it self a really good reputation.

As much info on the area as poss would be very gratefully received!

If you are doing rightmove look for postcode BA14 7QE with a 5 mile radius and that should give you all the areas you are looking at.
Thanks in advance

Hope thats helpful for you

georgie456
19-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm also Swindon but it's VERY quiet where I am - we are fighting for work here :( Luckily I'm full but for others it will hopefully pick up soon. I charge £4 an hour

mumx3
19-09-2010, 03:40 PM
hi there

Thanks for all the help and input it does make things much easier to know where to start in looking for a new home/life!

I would be happy to escape the traffic and hustle and bustle of the city. But want to be not too far (by car) from stuff for the kids like cinema, bowling, sports centre, parks and library. WHere abouts are the nearest ones. Are there cinemas (etc) in chippenham and trowbridge?

I will get looking at the schools and see what they are like.

I really want a village or a small town to call home, not a big town with traffic.

ANother question.....my family are of mixed heritage. White UK and African Carribean. So our children are "mixed". How are they likely to be accepted (or not) in school and how is our family likely to be considered the norm or the exception in this area.

In North London we are absolutely the norm...no one turns a hair when out colourful family walk down the road. However when we go on holiday in the UK it is obvious that we are not the norm outside of London.....advice about this would also be great.

You are all soooo generous thanks in advance.