PDA

View Full Version : 3rd year degree books and other questions

Pipsqueak
16-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Just a chance question really.
Anyone done their degree and wanting or considering selling their books? If so I'd be interested please. I am doing BA Hons Children and Early Childhood Studies.

Alternatively any books you would recommend at all?

Also turning to my dissertation...... what the heck could i do.
I was thinking along the lines of Boys V Girls perhaps - the differences in their play - do boys naturally gravitate to more physical play (ie rough and tumble, 'violent' play with guns etc) - where does this start to kick in.
It could incorporate the nature/nuture.....

am I along the right lines perhaps? Its just that having 3 very active, physical boys of my own and minding primarily boys over the years with a scattering of girls I have noticed HUGE differences in their play, however, the girls I have minded have ended up being just like the boys - even the more original 'timid' ones. Its interesting now that I have a baby girl to care for, so perhaps I can incorporate that into my studies as I watch her grow. I can compare indoor/outdoor, various ages and seeing as I have had and known all the children for several years now think I have got a good sense of who these children are.

Am I totally of base here do you think. Its just that at induction we were told to start thinking about this and I have done a bit of research about dissertations. Just trying to get prepared.

I am also hugely interested in brain and cognitive development as well but think that really will be out of my league lol. CLL really grabs me too and being part of the 2yr old pilot and caring for children with CLL problems.....

oh heck think I am over complicating........:panic:

nannymcflea
16-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Sorry, no help, just wanted to wish you luck. :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
16-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Thank you Nanny:D :thumbsup:

must say, as its creeping nearer (next week to start) i am pooping myself. Keep thinking everyone is going to figure out i am a fake at some point lol.

Alternative thoughts on a project:

hands on learning experiences etc (can bring in the role and benefit of home based learning ie a childminder ;) ) and how the can eYFs fit this; as opposed to the more rigid structure of schools and nurseries - the proof is in the pudding with my own kids again who the teachers complain time and again that they are fidgity in class - eldest sons house manager has acknowledged he is no good just sitting listening as he is not absorbing the learning.

the effects of 'health and safety' on todays children and families

goodness I cannot believe i am being this organised.....

sarah707
16-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I have just finished an e-book exploring boys learning and development - I will pm you! :D

The Juggler
16-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Pip, pick something you're passionate about - which I am imagining for you will be CLL related. Also you know so much of the policy and theory around that area so although you'll read deeper you'll be working from a sound base and can then concentrate on other things like the design of your research tools and researching the methods.

Hardest bit for me was reseraching the research and the ethics of how I was going to do it. We even had to argue about what we weren't going to do and why:panic: :panic:

Depending on how you're going to do your surveys/obs, am happy to share/recommend books. Please PM me or call me if you want. I did video obs so did quite a lot of reserach on the ethics of videoing children. I then looked at links between schemas and metacognition both of which really interested me and so I had lots of theory in my head already.

Sorry, waffling a bit. But in summary the books you pick will be directly related to your topic and your research methods. When you're refining your question/topic just make sure there is juicy enough research out there for you to base your tools on and with which to analyse the data you collect.
x

Tups
16-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Ha pip,:eek: Ive no chance of giving you advise, but I wish you all the luck, I'm sure you will sale through it, :laughing: :laughing:

Blaze
17-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Hi Pip,
Am v. jealous that you are so far along am only just starting myself on the FD this Oct...I would highly recomend Ali McCure's Making it better for boys.:thumbsup:

manjay
17-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Not quite at dissertation stage yet (thank goodness) but I have been thinking about my research project loads. I love the idea of the boy/girl differences and there seems so much written on that at the moment.

Sorry I can't help more but as usual Jugs has fab advice (and she's clever):D .

Good luck. Let us know what you decide

Polly2
17-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Same as Manjay really, you are one step ahead!

I have been reading a bit about the benefits of child-led play as opposed to adult-led. There seems to be a bit of a debate at the moment on the extent of adult involvement. I think there was something in nursery world this week on it.

This might impact on the girls V boys thing maybe????

Very interesting!

The Juggler
17-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Not quite at dissertation stage yet (thank goodness) but I have been thinking about my research project loads. I love the idea of the boy/girl differences and there seems so much written on that at the moment.

Sorry I can't help more but as usual Jugs has fab advice (and she's clever):D .

Good luck. Let us know what you decide

:blush: :blush: thanks!