PDA

View Full Version : not vunerable enough!

mushpea
16-09-2010, 06:20 PM
went to the childminder drop in at the childrens center this morning only to be told that because they have had their funding cut and because they need to reach out to vunerable familys that wouldnt normaly access a childrens center then we would not be allowed to attend the messy play group or the toddler group, this would be fine if i had the same children each day but I and my minding friends have different children on different days there fore at least 2 of my minded children will no longer access the childrens center and I know for a fact their mum wouldnt/couldnt take them,,, what annoys me most is I do look after children that are vunrable and live in deprived areas but because we are not a family we are discrminated aganist.
the worst part is the familys they want to reach out to are the 'type' of family that wouldnt go anywhere near a childrens center even if they were dragged there.
sorry just had to have a rant cause it annoys me so much.

caz3007
16-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Thats totally unfair, surely childrens centres should be for all members of the community. If it was me, I think I would be thinking about a letter to the local MP

clio0602
16-09-2010, 06:33 PM
We have lots of messy play, multi tots, outdoor play sessions at our childrens centre. But because I'm a childminder I am only allowed to go to the childminder drop in and theres only ever 1 or 2 there :(

Mookins
16-09-2010, 06:36 PM
DISCRIMINATION!!!!!

xx

tashaleee
16-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I find it very odd that in some areas childminders are not allowed yet in our area we are encouraged to attend any sessions at all - doesnt make any sense really as I thought they should all be under the same ethos and everyone should be welcome at all....

sarah707
16-09-2010, 06:51 PM
That's not fair! I would be complaining if I were you.

Hugs xx

Tribe_mummy
16-09-2010, 07:12 PM
We don't even have a cm session at ours (nearest one is a 20 min bus ride away) so lets hope this isn't going to be a universal rule! Sounds like discrimination to me, how do they know the children you mind do not come from such familes/backgrounds. I personally would be complaining. x

Rubybubbles
16-09-2010, 07:46 PM
thats such a shame, my local Centre is run by banardos (spelling) and they can't be any nicer!

caz3007
16-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Surely childrens centre should be inclusive as we are supposed to be, but they are excluding certain children (those that are minded), its wrong

mushpea
16-09-2010, 08:47 PM
we did complain to the center manager who made the rule and we made the point that not only will some of the children now not access the center but that we have vunrable children and we were told that as funding has been cut short and because they need to reach targets and get vunrable familys in then we werent welcome at groups other than the childminder drop in, complaining got us know where!

Daisy1956
16-09-2010, 08:48 PM
When my daughter wanted to attend some play sessions at our local childrens centre she couldn't get a place because they were all taken by parents in cars that travel from one centre to another each day. So much for reaching those who need it.

porky1979
16-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I go to toddler groups and messy play with the lo's, the lady who runs them is really lovely and there are a couple of cm's that go too. I would be very annoyed if I was not allowed to attend. I would complain.

snufflepuff
16-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Thats really awful. You really should take your complaint higher.
Theres a CM group at our childrens centre, but from reading their notice board (A friend and I run a toddler group from the same room) it seems you have to be an NCMA member to attend! :(

The Juggler
16-09-2010, 09:34 PM
oh hon, this is awful and it isn't fair on your children/mindees. However, I'm on the management committee of a children's centre and most centre managers don't agree with this change in policy. Unfortunately, they are being targetted (and funded) against their target of reaching needy families so if they are accepting non-needy families i.e. you into open sessions they may lose on funding.

It's not what the managers want but it's what the government are dictating. Otherwise, funding will be cut and less sessions in total will be run for any groups. Very sad:(

mama2three
17-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Taking into account what Juggler has said then i can see some logic here - you may be caring for children within the target groups , but as a childminder you are already able to offer them lots of education and opportunities that Parents in these groups cant / dont/ wont or simply dont have a clue about. If there are a restricted number of places then i can understand why these children should have priority.

Mykidsrock
17-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Sadly this happens all to often. I have been to various centres and have been turned away due to space capacity because I was a childminder and therefore the children werent needy. Our local one did have a cm session, which they canceled as they felt it would be of more benefit to people who were of a lower income etc. However it was at a stupid time anyway of 1430 (most of us do school pick ups) so it made them able to justify that hardly any cm's used it!

It does seem to be a nationwide thing, but at the end of the day the centre is there to provide a stimulating, fun and safe environment for children. Does it really matter if that is with a parent or a CM? !!