PDA

View Full Version : Unregistered care again..

MissTinkerbell
16-09-2010, 01:52 PM
A facebook friend of mine as put as her status

"Any childminders in X able to look after K from 12-3pm every other Friday afternoon?"

I replied that I couldn't until after Xmas but probably could then.

Another facebook friend, who is certainly NOT a registered childminder has replied that she will do it for her and that she needn't pay her just buy her a bottle of wine or box of chocs and she will do it as a favour for her!

Ther other friend has agreed and they've sorted out a start day.

Obviously I've done my duty and commented about unregistered childcare and not being able to look after another child for more than 2 hours a day for any sort of reward - politely and as a friend of course.

However it just got me that they had done this so publically in full view of everyone. I know that childcare isn't cheap but she was prepared to pay nursery £3.50 per hour for their extended session (they don't offer these on a Friday) so money isn't an issue - can't believe some parents would take that risk.

Pipsqueak
16-09-2010, 01:55 PM
It could be considered a reciprocal agreement - which is allowed, however even a bottle of wine or choccies is considered payment or reward.
But this is what is so hard to prove or even if money is changing hands.

I am all for childcare arrangements between friends/neighbours but so long as its not for money and full on unregistered care.

It does seem a bit blatent on FB but to be honest there probably isn't anything you can do or say.

caz3007
16-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I had a friend ring me today to find out if I knew of any childminders that do pick ups at her school for a friend of hers. She said her friend had asked her to do it,she said she is willing to help out in an emergency, but didnt want to cause problems with their friendship. Think she had it spot on actually

MissTinkerbell
16-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I am all for childcare arrangements between friends/neighbours but so long as its not for money and full on unregistered care.

Oh I agree with this too and as you say as long as its not for money, etc.

However I think the reason it surprised me was that the friend in question actually starts the process to become registered herself at the end of November..... and works in a nursery too so would be well aware of the risks involved in using unregistered care.

Mouse
16-09-2010, 02:51 PM
This is taken from the Ofsted factsheet on caring for a friend's child

Money or money’s worth
If your friend pays you in cash, cheques or vouchers, for example for use in a supermarket or department store, this is counted as payment. It does not matter if this is a regular payment, a one-off payment, or full or part payment for the total amount you are charging. If you receive any such payment you need to register with us as a childminder.
Money’s worth means a payment towards the costs involved in the childcare such as a contribution to heating and lighting, or paying for food or repairs to the place where the childminding happens. If your friend pays you for this type of thing then you need to register with us as a childminder.
If your friend buys you an occasional gift such as a box of chocolates, a bunch of flowers, or a bottle of wine; we will not count this as payment. If this is all you receive in return for providing childcare for your friend’s children, you do not need to register with us.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Childminding-between-friends

Ripeberry
16-09-2010, 02:56 PM
If that's the case I'm amazed that anyone actually has after-schoolers anymore :( As parents could just all get together as a 'club' and look after each other's kids.
That is what is happening at my school anyhow.

I'm looking into doing pick-ups from another school to take them to an after-school club. They seem to pay well and pay mileage costs.
But would that make me a taxi? :eek:

singingcactus
16-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Sounds like a friend doing a favour for a friend. My mums friends used to look after us sometimes, and my mum used to look after her friends kids when needed. I've looked after my friends kids, outside of childminding, and my friends have looked after my kids too. I have even had the audacity to give them a token of thanks occasionally!
There is a world of difference between a friend doing a friend a favour and someone unregistered looking after a strangers child for reward!

Lady Haha
16-09-2010, 06:35 PM
There is a world of difference between a friend doing a friend a favour and someone unregistered looking after a strangers child for reward!

I have to say I've always taken this view too.