PDA

View Full Version : What Can A 3 1/2 year old do?

VINASOL
16-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm a little worried about my 3 1/2 year old mindee, but then again I'm baseing it on my own DD who may simply be a little ahead. So, I thought I'd ask you experienced ladies (and gents) what a 'typical' 3 and a half year old should be able to do....

sandy64
16-09-2010, 01:34 PM
hi well first remember all lo develop at different stages i have 3 and all different but if it helps il note a few things but can vary. go toilet on own wash hands. coat on shoes on. do up to 12 piece jigsaw draw smiley face hold a converstion with you, count to 10. no some colours,shapes, maybe able to write name. is this what you wanted:)

VINASOL
16-09-2010, 01:43 PM
hi well first remember all lo develop at different stages i have 3 and all different but if it helps il note a few things but can vary. go toilet on own wash hands. coat on shoes on. do up to 12 piece jigsaw draw smiley face hold a converstion with you, count to 10. no some colours,shapes, maybe able to write name. is this what you wanted:)

yes that's the sort of thing i was after...i was just worried as she seems so different from my own DD...for example, only knows red and pink colours, doesn't recognise any letters or numbers, can sort of hold a conversation but doesn't actually understand what I'm saying. For example, I said to mindee: "I'm going to bake some cakes, would you like to help me?", and she replied "Yes...can I bring my pram too.." (as if we were going out); doesn't draw at all (just gets a pen and sort of stabs little marks).

I'm a little worried, cause she just doesn't seem to understand anything (DD translates sometimes); asks questions all the time "what's that?, what's this?" and it could be househodl items such as a washing machine, or dishwasher or a knife or fork. She was trying to find the toilet in the dolls' house and picked up the bed instead and said "oh, here it is"....she can count to about 15 but can't recognise any letters or numbers...is this something i should be concerned about?

crazyhazy
16-09-2010, 07:21 PM
From your reply my immediate thought was could there be hearing issues? It might be worth mentioning your concerns to the parent and asking them to get their hearing checked. My own dd is the same age and was driving me mad recently until we took a trip to the drs and got some ear drops, amazing the difference it made.

sarah707
16-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Look through the Eyfs ages and stages information for the child.

you might find that some areas of learning and development are slower than others.

That is perfectly normal as children do not progress at the same speed all the time.

You can use the ideas in the Eyfs for next steps for the child :D

beckyteddy
16-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I had a little boy who came to me last year and he was very much behind what I thought of as "the norm" but when I checked the EYFS grids he was actually fine! If you have quite a bright child of your own it can be a bit of a shock when another child of the same age seems different. I found with my little mindee that puzzles were his thing...he couldn't recognise many colours and couldn't count past 5, but had real determination to do a whole puzzle all by himself...I could not seem to find a way to help him with his colours whatever I tried...but his puzzle skills came on in leaps and bounds! This at least made me feel a bit better that I was helping his development in some ways if not in others!