PDA

View Full Version : car seat problem

terrydoo73
16-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I know some of you will have experienced this problem so am just looking for advice on how to handle it.

I have twin mindees and we go out 3 mornings a week to toddler groups and soft play. I strap them in their seat and if I don't move off quickly enough or when I arrive at the destination they have slipped their hands out of the straps. Don't know how they manage to as they are quite tight around them. They will then try the stand up to get out of the seat as quickly as possible - and sometimes it can be very quick indeed!

It is not a case as yet of travelling along and they try to do it in which case I would have tried the method of stopping the car and asking them to put their hands back into their straps before we continue but rather the above.

I have heard there is a gadget to strap both belts together so that you cannot get the hands through but has anyone worked with this and is it effective? Apart from talking to them and telling them to put them back in which they cannot see the point of if we have arrived where we are going what else would you suggest I do?

Carol M
16-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Have had this problem in the past and yes I've heard of this gadget but not seen it. I used a gillet on said problem child and zipped it up OVER the belt :eek: but this stopped her doing it and she couldn't get out of her belt, so safer I thought.
Carol xx

Alibali
16-09-2010, 12:50 PM
I personally wouldn't make any alterations to the seat or a belt, in an emergency these children may have to get out of their seats as quickly as possible and if something is in the way be it an extra belt or jacket then the police/fire brigade may have extra problems. I'm afraid this is the inly time I would raise my voice and exlain how dangerous it is and that they MUST NEVER do it again or else they won't be going in the car. Safety is paramount.

Helen79
16-09-2010, 12:51 PM
www.twinsthings.co.uk/hug_it.htm

I've never used one though so don't know whether they work or not

rickysmiths
16-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm sorry and you are not going to like the reply. They should not be able to get their arms out of the straps if the seat is adjusted properly. The straps have to be very tight and most children complain at first but they have to get used to it.

I had this confirmed when I bought a Britax Evolva 123. It has a guage on it which tells you when the straps are pulled tightly enough and they are very tight. No child could ever escape from them.

I would double check that the straps are at the right shoulder height for the child, if they are a bit too high at the back then the straps won't pull tight enough.

I wouldn't use anything to alter the original seat belt either as this could affect it working in an accident and could affect the safety of the child and invalidate your Insurance.

Carol M
16-09-2010, 01:01 PM
That looks just the job, obviously better than a gillet round the child. Have tried to order but says sold out, will try again in a bit.
Thanks
Carol xx

Carol M
16-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry and you are not going to like the reply. They should not be able to get their arms out of the straps if the seat is adjusted properly. The straps have to be very tight and most children complain at first but they have to get used to it.

I had this confirmed when I bought a Britax Evolva 123. It has a guage on it which tells you when the straps are pulled tightly enough and they are very tight. No child could ever escape from them.

I would double check that the straps are at the right shoulder height for the child, if they are a bit too high at the back then the straps won't pull tight enough.

I wouldn't use anything to alter the original seat belt either as this could affect it working in an accident and could affect the safety of the child and invalidate your Insurance.

Fully understand, just this one child could get out of all the seats we tried, and the straps were so tight they left a mark on her, parents were unable to restrain her either.
This product must have been tested for purpose, I will double check, and will have one by incase I ever am faced with a 2yr old Houdini again.
Carol xx

clio0602
16-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I have bought a kiddy comfort pro and a mamas and papas cybex pallas. They have bolster cushions across instead of straps and I've not had an escape from one yet. Even my cousins lo who escapes from a maxi cosi with straps v tight is held in.

Lots of American car seats do have an addition to them which clips together across the chest to hold them in place. Wouldnt think something like that would affect safety of seat just stop arms escaping. Prob best to check first tho xx

caz3007
16-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Surely if the straps arent tight enough, they wouldnt restrain the child correctly in an accident.

Mine have always had the rule that they dont unplug or get out of their seat until the engine and radio are turned off. Its always worked well here

snufflepuff
16-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I have not had to deal with this (yet!) but we have the britax evolva 123 mentioned above and also another britax. The 'click' safety feature is very good, I always pull the straps tight until I hear the click and then pull again for one more click just to be sure, or if the child is wearing a coat or bulky jumper I might do 2 or 3 extra clicks.

Merry-Minder
16-09-2010, 02:39 PM

I agree, I cant see how a child would be able to get out if its pulled tight enough, maybe its the seat you use.
I have freinds who have children that 'dont like' their straps pulled tight and so they are'nt and so they can get there arms out which is super unsafe!

balijay
16-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Just wanted to add that I have 2 of the Britax Evolva 123 seats and they are very good if anyone else is having problems with escape artists :laughing:

theames
12-10-2010, 09:18 AM
You should get one of these:

http://www.houdinistop.co.uk

It has been crash tested and ACRI approved and prevents your child getting their arms out of their straps. Can be used on high chairs and push chairs too

Stopped our little houdini straight away!

Definitely worth the money

AliceK
12-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I have bought a kiddy comfort pro and a mamas and papas cybex pallas. They have bolster cushions across instead of straps and I've not had an escape from one yet. Even my cousins lo who escapes from a maxi cosi with straps v tight is held in.

Lots of American car seats do have an addition to them which clips together across the chest to hold them in place. Wouldnt think something like that would affect safety of seat just stop arms escaping. Prob best to check first tho xx

Aren't these brilliant!! I originally bought one for my DD (she was a little houdini) plus they are meant to be a lot safer than "normal" car seats. I now use them for mindees as well. DD usually falls asleep with her head on the bolster. I can't recommend them enough.

xxxxxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
12-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I used to have a child that did this and I put him in the front and could say no everytime he tried to get out. He them learnt to undo the adult seat belt so I turned the click bit around so he couldn't press down on it.

You could just stop the car and refuse to move until they put their arms back in :D