PDA

View Full Version : Euqipment and toys questions

windsweptstina
16-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi folks

I am in the process of working through the application form to become a childminder in Scotland.

I am looking for a little advice about what to get and when.

I don't have any kids at present, so will be starting from scratch and am aware this could be as expensive as I am willing to make it! I am also aware that there are grants available, but guess these are only offered once you are registered.

My query is, how much do I need to do before becoming registered - I guess having all the safety equipment in place is a definite must. What about toys and equipment? Can I wait until I know what children I will have or should I have these for the Care Commission officers to see pre registration? Also, I will have to upgrade my vehicle - will that need to be done before or after?

Just trying to make myself a timeline to prepare!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Pauline
16-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi and welcome.

I will just move your post to our Scottish childminding (SCC) specific area, you might get more replies there.

:)

arly
16-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi there, I have kids of my own but my youngest is only 3 and although he is not too bad at sharing because there his toys I feel it might make things awkward so Ive been buying things along the way and he knows they are for when mummy is working only, each week I will gather a few bits and bobs from puzzles to books or arts and crafts etc.

my local scottish childminding association officer gave me a form for a grant upto £150 for safety equipment these were 1st come first served as they had there budget cut.

As for when you need them as long as you have a sort of wish list to show youve thought about it and what you will be providing should be ok. :)

Alibali
16-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello and welcome, you shouldn't really need anything for your first visit, as that is when they check your house and let you know what's needed. That said, my CCO did comment that I didn't have any toys out when she did my final visit, but my own lo's were bigger by then and all the toys were upstairs!

Keeop nipping down to your local charity shop to see if they have any bargains, and remember to keep receipts. Car seats have to be new though (or from somewhere you know the history)

Hope all goes well.

juzza123
01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Don't know exactly where you are but in Fife there is an organisation called the Resource Base which you can join and this let you borrow various bits of equipment from their toy/equipment library. You might have something similar in your area.