PDA

View Full Version : No show - should I ring? urgent help please

caz3007
16-09-2010, 09:13 AM
A mum I know from the school run asked me to mind her two and was supposed to come this morning. I saw her DD in school but didnt see the mum and she hasnt shown up. I can see her house from my back garden, so being late really isnt acceptable.

I spoke to her last night to answer a query she had and was wondering if you would ring to see if she is coming

Mouse
16-09-2010, 09:20 AM
What time was she due?

I tend to leave it half an hour then phone or text to see if they're still coming.

Sometimes parents just don't see the importance of setting a time & sticking to it. They seem to think that because you're at home, it doesn't really matter what time they turn up :rolleyes:

caz3007
16-09-2010, 09:23 AM
She was due at 10, I could have done something else with my morning off. I know she has to be at nursery at 12.30.

I must admit, I wasnt too sure about taking them on, but the money would have been fab, perhaps its meant to be

karen m
16-09-2010, 09:27 AM
i no how you feel had 2 lots of parents mess me round this week now comming on tuesday lo going away today

Mouse
16-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I'd phone her now then & say is she still coming as you need to go out.

Like I said, some parents think that if they say they'll come in the morning, about 10ish, that can mean absolutley any time before lunch! I've had parents running more than an hour late for the first meeting, then turn out to be the best parents ever! My usual reaction is, "well, if they're this unreliable now, what will they be like if I take the child on?", but I do give them the benefit of the doubt once...mess me around a second time though & they're out!!

caz3007
16-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for your help, I have tried to ring, but no answer. It just seems really strange as she gave me more information last night, about hours etc, perhaps she has just forgotten and gone to town. Trouble is I cant now fit her in again until Tues as got appointments tomorrow and hubby is off on Monday, may have a LO, but he comes along with whatever we do.

bandlady
16-09-2010, 11:30 AM
When parents don't show my instinct is that unless there is a genuine reason that it is better not to do any business with them. If they are unreliable in the beginning it is normally the start of a bad working relationship for you.

Denise

teacake2
16-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I never chase after them, if they cannot be bothered to turn up or have the decency to contact me I am not interested.
Teacake2

caz3007
16-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, my gut instinct with the whole thing hadnt been too good, all the way along, will see what happens when I see her next on the school run

caz3007
16-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Mum has just rung a minute ago and apologised profusely, she was in hospital last night with her youngest as he collapsed after nursery yesterday, he has a virus.

They are coming to visit on Tuesday but has said she is a bit concerned about coping with college as she has MS. Couldnt chat properly on phone as kids started arguing, but going to have a cuppa on Tuesday and have a chat and see where we go from here

Mouse
16-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Mum has just rung a minute ago and apologised profusely, she was in hospital last night with her youngest as he collapsed after nursery yesterday, he has a virus.

They are coming to visit on Tuesday but has said she is a bit concerned about coping with college as she has MS. Couldnt chat properly on phone as kids started arguing, but going to have a cuppa on Tuesday and have a chat and see where we go from here

Poor mum, that must have been a worry.

That's why I always give parents the benefit of the doubt. You just never know what might have happened.

caz3007
16-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I did think it was strange that she hadnt turned up when we had talked on the phone last night about what hours she required etc, as they had changed a bit from the original enquiry

miffy
16-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm glad you found out what had happened - hope Tuesday goes well

Miffy xx