PDA

View Full Version : do you always charge for being late and how to go about changing my work hours

mrs.h
15-09-2010, 08:28 PM
good evening :)

i have got a parent that has been late on both days this week. first time i got a text saying "running 10 min late" and the second time i didn't even get an apology or a comment when he finally arrived 15 min late. would you charge for this?

i am considering reducing my work hours as my ds seems to need me more now he is in full time education. he comes home tired, lo doesn't get picked up till 5.30 or later :rolleyes:, dinner needs preparing, we are running late with our evening routine, tidying up etc. i am sure parents will terminate if i reduce my hours because i can't see them being able to pick up early. but fair enough, my family comes first.

mrs.h

ajs
15-09-2010, 08:37 PM
i don';t charge but then my families are very seldomn late but you could ask him if he wants to change the contracted hours if he is always going to be later then contracted

wendywu
15-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I dont charge. One dad was 20 min late on fri and then 15 min late on mon and 15 min late on tue.

This was all due to the traffic on the M25.

I get paid BH and then dont mind asking them to pick up a bit early when i need them to. Its all give and take :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
15-09-2010, 09:06 PM
WRT reducing your hours. You'll need to give notice, for example 28 days, of your intention to reduce hours and that gives parents to find alternative care,

caz3007
15-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I dont charge either. But I have good parents at the moment, who pay on time and are flexible with me if the need arises, just as I am with them. If they werent so good, then things would perhaps be different

miffy
16-09-2010, 07:02 AM
It depends - I'd charge if someone was persistently late for no reason but not for those who've just had to finish something off or got stuck in traffic.

What bugs me is if parents don't let you know what's happening - it doesn't take much to pick up the phone and call.

Miffy xx

snufflepuff
16-09-2010, 07:16 AM
I have never used my late fees. But I have a parent who is consistently late- she used to give reasons (such as needing to buy birthday cards after work???) but for a long time she hasn't even said sorry let alone offered an explanation. I have written in my latest newsletter that I will be using the attendance register (which they all sign) to complete invoices, so any extra time will be charged for- being 20 minutes late every day soon adds up over a month! Infact today I know she has a hair appointment booked for 5 minutes after she finishes work (my MIL cuts her hair) so there is no chance she will be here on time!
Of course if there is a genuine reason and they bother to let me know, or if they are very rarely late, I wouldn't worry about it.

FussyElmo
16-09-2010, 07:51 AM
If its a genuine reason one mum last week both thurs and fri was stuck in traffic so not alot she could do.

If it is persistent and no explanations then yes :thumbsup:

CHEEKY BEE
16-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't charge if it is a one off and due to traffic, late trains, etc

The parents' I have are really good and let me know and they also pick up early on occassions, so I agree with wendywe it is give and take

I have had a parent in the past though who wouldn't give me a minute and was constantly late, in that instance I changed the contracted hours.

Depends on parent really.

bandlady
16-09-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't charge for lateness but as someone else said I find it is a give and take situation that if I dont charge and sometimes they are early picking up or i want to finsih early for some reason it balances itself out. I know another childminder does charge and she seems to always be in conflict with parents over hours and i would not want to work in that atmosphere.
As for changing your hours give four weeks notice its up to you what hours you work.

Denise

The Juggler
16-09-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't for the occasional 10 -15 mins. I used to commute and I know what trains/traffic can be like.

However, if it became a regular thing and parent was never there before contracted time, then I'd suggest to parents we needed to change contract hours.

I would also ask them to text to let you know if they are running late so you can explain to the mindees.x

Millenium
16-09-2010, 02:51 PM
I always charge as the age-old excuse of "stuck in the traffic" usually translates in my mind to "I didn't leave work early enough to ensure I get to you on time"!!

I also charge for early drop offs and at the end of the month, I add up all the extra minutes for earlies and lates and charge it based on my hourly rate so a five day a week child who is collected 10 minutes late every day will be charged about 3.5 hours overtime in the month depending upon the number of working days.

The parents are happy with this. I know some minders who charge in 10 or 15 minute blocks - it just depends what works best for you but whatever system you adopt, I certainly recommend charging. All my mindees are quite young so they are not aware that the parent is in fact late. Obviously in the case of a serious delay, then I ask that the parents phone me (if possible).

mrs.h
16-09-2010, 07:51 PM
hello,

thanks for all your answers!

i do agree with millenium though and will add on the time at the end of this month. parents know what time the contracted time ends and should be here in time. they also know that there are roadworks and could extend their hours if need be. these particular people are always on the dot and i am not keen on always just giving :rolleyes: (had a parent who accepted my offer to drop off child because she was so poorly to find out that she is all chirpy and not to poorly to drive after all :angry:)

mrs.h

funfunfun
21-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I always charge as the age-old excuse of "stuck in the traffic" usually translates in my mind to "I didn't leave work early enough to ensure I get to you on time"!!

I also charge for early drop offs and at the end of the month, I add up all the extra minutes for earlies and lates and charge it based on my hourly rate so a five day a week child who is collected 10 minutes late every day will be charged about 3.5 hours overtime in the month depending upon the number of working days.

The parents are happy with this. I know some minders who charge in 10 or 15 minute blocks - it just depends what works best for you but whatever system you adopt, I certainly recommend charging. All my mindees are quite young so they are not aware that the parent is in fact late. Obviously in the case of a serious delay, then I ask that the parents phone me (if possible).

Do you tell them on the day your chargeing them or just bill them at the end of the month .??

mrs.h
21-09-2010, 08:24 PM
hi,

i will just add on the 15 minutes on the next invoice. because the parents pay in advance i will just do "sundries". i should add 30 min really as i charge per half hour. :)

mrs.h

Helen Dempster
21-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I think if a parent was constantly late and taking the mickey, I would start charging. If it's a valid reason and only happens now and then, I think I'd let it go. Mindees mum tonight, funnily enough, didn't appear at 6.30pm when she was meant to be here...I phoned her at 6.50pm and she'd fallen asleep! She was so embarrassed and offered to pay me the extra, but we just had a laugh about it! She was more concerned that her little one would worry about where she was...he didn't even mention it! LOL