PDA

View Full Version : what counts as Diarrhoea?

beckyteddy
15-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Before you read any further please be warned I have given descriptions of poo in the following post, proceed with caution if you have a week stomach.....

What counts as diarrhoea? I have stated in my policies that children are not allowed to attend my setting for 24 hours since their last bout of diarrhoea, but just wondered what actually qualifies as diarrhoea?

I am asking because my 3 year old mindee today did a poo in her underwear and trousers (it went all down her legs!) but only did it the one time and whilst it was squishy/runny and did smell like a "bad" poo not just a normal one, it was not watery. I have asked mum not to bring her tomorrow but am now just wondering if I've done the right thing or if I've been a bit harsh?

What would you have done guys?

I try to judge these things by whether I would be able to stay "open" for mindees if my own children had the same symptoms and in this case I don't think I would be able to. But does it actually count as "official" diarrhoea?

berkschick
15-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Always a tough one!

I tend to go by whats "normal" for that child. E who I have has never had a solid poo in the nearly 3 years that I have had him! Thats just the way he is and its not unusual for him to have 3 runny ones a day. Yet another one I have is the complete opposite so much easier to tell.

I tend to allow them a dodgy nappy before I exclude them. Sometimes its just something they ate or just because! If there is a second dodgy nappy during the same day then I send home and exclude.

onceinabluemoon
15-09-2010, 07:49 PM
from wikipedia:
Diarrhea (from the Greek, διὰρροια meaning "flowing through"[2]), also spelled diarrhoea, is the condition of having three or more loose or liquid bowel movements per day

I say more than 2 watery / very runny poos a day and they're off for 48 hours if that helps

mummyof3
15-09-2010, 07:54 PM
My 18mth mindee it is perfectly normal for him to have a runny poo all up his back and require a full clothing change. Usually only once a day thankfully. If he has more than one he is sent home with a 48hr exclusion. Only had to do this once and mum was not happy (think she thought I wanted the afternoon off) until she found out grandad had him over the weekend and had fed him a whole punnet of grapes on the sunday afternoon :eek:

charlie potato
15-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I would say it depends whether it is normal for her. Does she have toddler diarrhoea or food intolerences? If not then i would say it may do her good to have day off. Whats happened at home that mum hasnt told you cos she doesnt want to take time off work. xx

beckyteddy
15-09-2010, 07:59 PM
It was the mindees first day today, so I don't know her regular poo style yet!

I know she was sent home from nursery with a temperature yesterday and I was told by the nursery staff when I collected her today that she ate well at lunch time but then only wanted cucumber for her evening meal.

jemb
15-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Sounds like diarrhoraa to me, especially with the temperature:panic:

charlie potato
15-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Definately diarrhoea (which can be normal for some kids) but its a bug with a temperature. My 7 yr old has suffered diarrhoea most of his life and its normal for him but i can tell when he has a bug because of the smell. xx

beckyteddy
16-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Well, I stuck to my initial instincts and asked that the little girl should not come to me for care today. I did make a pretty strong goodwill gesture though and gave a full refund for todays hours, due to the fact that it would have been her first full day and we are still very much in the settling in period. I made it clear that once the settling in period (2 weeks on my contracts) is over I would obviously always have to charge if she doesn't attend due to sickness/diarrhoea, but I didn't want to start off with bad feeling on either side particularly due to my slight wobble over whether it was actually diarrhoea. Anyway the mum has been lovely about it, checked twice that it was ok with me for mindee to come for her next session as planned on Saturday and even tried to press cash into my hand this evening when she was 10 mins late! Just goes to show if you start off by being extra kind/flexible parents don't always want to walk over you in the future...sometimes they really do appreciate your kindness and repay you in the same way.:clapping: