PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to say.....

porky1979
15-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I have looked after a 2 year old for a year now and i am having a bit of trouble with the parents not dropping her off in time in the mornings. She is contracted to start at 6.30am so I always get myself up and ready for when she arrives, however there have been many occasions when she has not been dropped off til after 7.30am. The parents know that I have to leave at 7.50am to drop my eldest at school and then do the infant school run. (my school runs take ages as 2 of the schools are 10miles apart) so they have been dropping her off before i leave, it gets on my nerves though that they can't even send a message or phone call to say they will be late.
The past 3 weeks the mum has been off work ill and lo has not been getting here til about 9.30 (after my school run). This wouldn't be a problem but I take the kids to toddler groups and plan to do things and I can't because lo has not arrived. I have spoken to the parents asking if they can tell me what time they will be bringing her and I hear nothing. This week I have been a little stern and said that I have made arrangemnets and if lo is not here by 7.45am I will not be able to have her til I get back from wherever I am going. This has not gone down very well and they are making me feel that i should wait for them all the time although they have bought her in before 7.45am and today I even went and collected her on the way to school so I made sure she was here. I have written notes in the daily diary (which I do not think they look at as there are photos in there that have not even being taken out) about this and still nothing.

What I am wanting to do is write them a letter stating that if she has not arrived by 7.45 then I can not have her, do you think this is a bit harsh???? I just feel that I can not plan my days properly as I never know if lo is going to turn up and waiting about for her to turn up drives me mad. I do not want to lose the child as she is very good and a pleasure to look after but this needs to stop. I just feel that a quick text or phone call would be nice and I want to put this in the letter but don't want to sound to hard. I know mum is ill (not sure what is wrong) and probably doesn't want to get up at 6am but it would just be nice if they could let me know a time.

Sorry its so long, i needed to get this off my chest.
Any advice would be great.. Thanks :(

appleblossom
15-09-2010, 12:34 PM
I had a child whose parents did this. y solution was to get them to drop the child off at the toddler group or wherever I was going to be. That worked OK and saved me waiting around.
HTH
Karen

grindal
15-09-2010, 12:38 PM
My old mindees mum was a bit like this - many times I had to change my plans cos they were running late or they decided not to wake mindee up cos he had a late night! It is not of any use at the moment, but I now have it written into my poloicies that if children are being dropped off late they must meet me at a time and place which is convenient for me!

curlycathy
15-09-2010, 12:57 PM
I have a written policy that if child is 15 minutes late and I've not heard anything then I will go about my day as planned and that it is parents responsibility to find me wherever that may be. I state that I will have my mobile on me, but that if I am driving won't answer it immediately. It also states that full payment for the contracted hours still applies.

You could do something similar and also ask if they would like to review the contract to change the hours. Its downright rude if you ask me and shows a total lack of respect for you.

Good luck hon xx

sfox2003
15-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I had this with a couple of mine. What I did was write my usual weekly timetable in their diaries. It has helped a lot.

Although most of the time they still dont arrive before I do school run so I have to come back & wait for them to get here. Luckily though they are always here between 9 - 9.15. So its not as bad as it used to be. Before it could be 10am before they dropped off.

Its those parents that drop off late who think its fine to be 10-15 mons late at night too though :angry:

caz3007
15-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I have a written policy that if child is 15 minutes late and I've not heard anything then I will go about my day as planned and that it is parents responsibility to find me wherever that may be. I state that I will have my mobile on me, but that if I am driving won't answer it immediately. It also states that full payment for the contracted hours still applies.

You could do something similar and also ask if they would like to review the contract to change the hours. Its downright rude if you ask me and shows a total lack of respect for you.

Good luck hon xx

I have a similar policy and state its up to the parents to ring and find out where I am and deliver the child to me. Its not fair on other children to be late for school, miss out on toddlers etc just cos one family cant be organised.

Good luck x

porky1979
15-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will make up a policy then and give this to the parents and do a weekly timetable to show them what we do as I am out most mornings now after the school run. I will see if it helps. Fingers crossed.

sweets
15-09-2010, 01:23 PM
i personally wouldnt do them a weekly timetable because what if the weather is nice and you change it by going out and about instead of a toddler group you dont want to be tied in going to a certain place because of lazy parents that cant get ready in the morning.

caz3007
15-09-2010, 01:25 PM
i personally wouldnt do them a weekly timetable because what if the weather is nice and you change it by going out and about instead of a toddler group you dont want to be tied in going to a certain place because of lazy parents that cant get ready in the morning.

I agree and what if one day you decided not to bother and stay at home, then they would moan. I would just do the policy and insist they ring you if they are running late and find out where you are. Then the ball is in their court

sfox2003
15-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Yes, I see what you mean & we do occassionally do other things - I still stick to the same times though - so works out fine.