PDA

View Full Version : sickness

libby0704
15-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi im new to this so please bear with me....

I have been childminding nearly 2.5yrs and have cared for 1 family from the beginning. Now this family have tendencies to bring poorly children and not let me know and then never reply to messages or calls.

Last Thursday baby came to me with diarrhea( unbeknown til the nappies started) but I was told he was off to drs Friday so that was fine as didnt have any other children that day. Tuesday he came with his brother and I had my normal other children too..... 7 diarrhea nappies later I text to say what was happening to be told dr had taken sample to send off but they think it may be allergy or blockage.

I now have diarrhea and cannot work ....... I text babies mum to say because of his illness I could not have him today but she is saying she isnt sending him as I am poorly......

WHERE do I stand if she doesnt pay me?????

Any help would be great

Many thanks

Libby0704

pinkbutterfly
15-09-2010, 09:28 AM
What does the contract say about fees when you're sick?
I think you should let the mum have a copy of your sickness policy again. She shouldn't have sent the baby knowing about the problem (which she obviously did know if she mentioned about samples being taken) as it's unfair on you and other children in your care.
Also I would have asked the mum to come and collect after two funny looking nappies (unless baby's teething ...).

libby0704
15-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi Pinkbutterfly

My policies state that if sickness and diarrhea are present then I can not have that child til 48hrs from last episode.
It also states I do not get paid if I am ill but if child is ill and unable to come I get full pay.

CHEEKY BEE
15-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi,

For guidance have a look at the Health Protection Agency's website. They give guidance on how long children should stay away with various illnesses, infections.

As previous post says it is 48hrs for diarrhoea from the last episode.

I have had it in the past where parents' have brought kids with diarrhoea and my family have ended up poorly. If your contract says no pay for your illness then you wont get paid, maybe have a chat with parent as they might agree to pay you as the baby had it, but it is difficult to prove you caught it from the baby.

Have you got a sickness policy? If you have make sure you have a firm word with the parents about not bringing the baby when poorly. Even if you haven't got mindees u dont want to end up sick.

Good Luck