PDA

View Full Version : printing help

terrydoo73
15-09-2010, 08:57 AM
I currently have 2 printers to use when I am working with topics that I am producing arts and crafts materials, general information and most importantly all the paperwork needed for my business both financial and administration wise.

The first is a Samsung Laser printer (black and white) and the replacement cartridge costs about £60 but it does print very fast and the cartridge will last quite a time before fading.

The second is a Lexmark Colour 3 in 1 - scanner, photocopier and printer. This is great for colour material but is slow and the ink cartridge costs £30 - it seems to use a lot of ink very quickly.

At the moment I need both replacements and that is like 1 weeks wages gone in a lump sum.

I was just wondering if anyone could advise me what cheaper alternatives there might be - is it a matter of changing my printers and hopefully mean a cheaper replacement? What advice would you give me. I seem to be doing a lot of print outs lately and it is getting expensive.

sarah707
15-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I have an HP and the cost of cartridges is ridiculous! :(

I researched and bought a cheapie brother printer which had cheap cartridges from EBay - but it broke within 6 months and the warranty was rubbish.

I then bought an Epsom which is cheap on cartridges but won't mix and match so if I get them from one place, then another, they don't work together :rolleyes:

I would say when you research the printer, check sites for comments about whether it is any good or not and check cartridge prices before committing.

I go into printer properties and use the draft option every time I print - that saves a lot of money.

Hth :D

bexcee
15-09-2010, 12:06 PM
I have an epsom printer and it is great, it has four cartridges; black, pink, blue and yellow so you only have to replace the one that has run out. The printer cost me £60 and I pay £9.99 for 12 cartridges (3 of each colour) from a seller on ebay.

I do loads of printing and they last for ages.

green puppy
15-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I have a hp which is fine, I buy argos value cartridges for my model. Black ink is £11.99 and tri colour ink is £12.99.

miss mopple
15-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I have just invested in a kodak 3 in 1 printer and Im really pleased with it :thumbsup:

It only costs 11.99 for a colour cartridge and £6.99 for black ink. The phot quality is great. Its not as good on colour documents, but that may be because I am using value paper. It does black well though and is fine for my work needs.

The Juggler
15-09-2010, 01:27 PM
I have also been looking at the Kodak as they say you can replace both cartridges for £19 (colour and b&w) . I've got a Dell at the moment and to replace both costs me £45:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just need to check number pages per cartridge so it doesn't end up working out the same price.

terrydoo73
15-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Meant to say I can only buy the Lexmark replacement cartridges in Curry's so they have a monopoly on it really!

miss mopple
15-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Juggler- I bought mine a while ago and have only just had to replace the cartridges (it was supplied with half full ones and they ran and ran :thumbsup: ) I use the draft option alot to preserve the ink more like Sarah

ETA: play.com do a pack with both cartridges for 21.73 and you can get cashback through quidco :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
15-09-2010, 01:37 PM
I also have two printers:

Printer 1 is a Brother MFC-260C is a copier/scanner/printer and can take the camera cards and will copy them straight to the PC

Printer 2 is an Epson D12 which is a great fast printer

Both of these models take cheaper ink - I get mine from www.boxshift.co.uk and www.eezytrade.co.uk

Black and white are about £2 each and colours £2.50 each with p&p free

When I was searching for a new printer (had lots of Epsons) I open a tab for the ink and check to see how much it is as I go and if the printer will not take the cheaper ones I move on to the next.

The Juggler
15-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Juggler- I bought mine a while ago and have only just had to replace the cartridges (it was supplied with half full ones and they ran and ran :thumbsup: ) I use the draft option alot to preserve the ink more like Sarah

ETA: play.com do a pack with both cartridges for 21.73 and you can get cashback through quidco :thumbsup:

thanks for the info honx

The Juggler
15-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I also have two printers:

Printer 1 is a Brother MFC-260C is a copier/scanner/printer and can take the camera cards and will copy them straight to the PC

Printer 2 is an Epson D12 which is a great fast printer

Both of these models take cheaper ink - I get mine from www.boxshift.co.uk and www.eezytrade.co.uk

Black and white are about £2 each and colours £2.50 each with p&p free

When I was searching for a new printer (had lots of Epsons) I open a tab for the ink and check to see how much it is as I go and if the printer will not take the cheaper ones I move on to the next.

wow! £2!!!! how many pages will a cartridge do Debbie. I bought some recylced ones once which were 1/3 of the price but tbh it only printed 1/3 of the number of pages. Do you think you get a good number of sheets per cartridge.

David
15-09-2010, 06:40 PM
you could always try Cartridge World they will refill your laser cartridge at half the price.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-09-2010, 06:42 PM
wow! £2!!!! how many pages will a cartridge do Debbie. I bought some recylced ones once which were 1/3 of the price but tbh it only printed 1/3 of the number of pages. Do you think you get a good number of sheets per cartridge.

Loads and loads and loads - just depends on how much you do

The price obviously depends on the make and model but put it into the websites and they will tell you the price

LisaMcNally09
15-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I too have got a Kodak 3 in 1 and i wont use anything else now. As mentioned the ink is very cheap and lasts quite a while....quality is good too.

hth:D

The Juggler
16-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Loads and loads and loads - just depends on how much you do

The price obviously depends on the make and model but put it into the websites and they will tell you the price

thanks Debbiex