PDA

View Full Version : Observations - On the right track?

VINASOL
15-09-2010, 07:09 AM
I have done some obs over past few days and wondered if I'm on the right track with them.

Obs1: mindee (3yrs) singing alphabet song, and sang correctly to the letter T and sang rest of song but couldn't remember letters.
Plans for further development: continue singing alphabet song and through singing get mindee to sound out words/letters. CLL/CD

Obs2: mindee is pouring water from a teapot into a coup and the water has spilt over the sides. S looks at the water and realises what has happened. She puts her finger into the water to see how high it is in the cup and adds a little more water. She carries on practising pouring the water into the cup, trying not to overfill it; she manages it two or three times. She then uses as spoon to take water from cup and feeds it to childB saying "open wide please", then says "some more, some more" giving child B the spoon again.
Plans for further development: to practice pouring water into different size cups; using some clear cups so mindee can see how full things get. PSED/PSRN/CLl/PD/CD

Obs3: Went to a farm shop. Mindee looked round at all the large vegetables but was not able to identify the names of the vegetables or their colour; was fascincated with different sized eggs (quails/goose).
Plans for further development: to go to the farm shop again and to the local market garden to see how vegetables are grown. PSRN/CLL/KUW

Feel free to be critical

sarah707
15-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Those look good!

The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't criticise a child for not being able to do something... I would look for a positive.

Mindee looked round at all the large vegetables and saw a potato that she recognised!

- now we have returned she is interested in fruit and vegetables and playing with the play kitchen pretending to cook them. We will use cookery books and magazines from the supermarket to extend her interest and focus on shapes, sizes and colours.

Do you see the difference in focus? :D

VINASOL
15-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Those look good!

The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't criticise a child for not being able to do something... I would look for a positive.

Mindee looked round at all the large vegetables and saw a potato that she recognised!

- now we have returned she is interested in fruit and vegetables and playing with the play kitchen pretending to cook them. We will use cookery books and magazines from the supermarket to extend her interest and focus on shapes, sizes and colours.

Do you see the difference in focus? :D

Yes - thanks Sarah. I'm definitely having trouble writing up things in a positive manner simply because the way that she doesn't know colours, or what fruit or veg are and when I try to get her interested in it she doesn't want to do it, so I'm struggling a little iykwim. When we went to the shop she doesn't recognise one piece of fruit or veg (thinks that an orange is yellow in colour) and is very good at asking things 'what's that?' i.e. to a potato.

The kitchen/playing with food is a good one though and I think I'm going to do that with her this afternoon. Trouble is, the longest activity she can do is about two minutes and hates playing any games whereby you ask her any kind of question; she just prefers to play with dolls and a pram. Have tried to get her to take all clothes out of dolls' bag and to dress dolly but again is not interested and just wants to take pram out and walk.

I've done a little project of drawing up a large tree (on lining paper lol) and have done branches and am trying to encourage her to pick up different leaves of different shapes and sizes (DD is loving it) but she doesn't want to...not sure what to do really :mad:

caz3007
15-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Persevere and if she sees you and your DD having fun doing activities, I am sure she will eventually want to join in. Be very vocal with your DD and then ask mindie if she would like to come and join in. All you can do is offer and invite and see what happens. I talk in a very excited upbeat way and say 'Oh, shall we do some sticking/painting etc' and usually can get them interested

blue bear
15-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Instead of saying she can't name any colours maybe put she pointed to the green apple and said yellow, it shows she is naming colours from memory using the colour names, just not at the stage where she applies them correctly. Any one picking up this sort of obs can clearly see what she can do.

some children just take longer to be interested and focused in doing activities and for others your early observations could be tracking a problem that comes to light at a later stage. clear consise notes of what she does do are more helpful that what she can't when looking back at a child's progress.

VINASOL
15-09-2010, 01:14 PM
thansk - that's a really good way to look at it. shall re-do them in a more positive and clear manner. thanks!xx:laughing: