PDA

View Full Version : Health Declaration

SonnysMummy
06-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm filling my application forms in to send of to Ofsted. In the health form i have included that i suffered with anxiety and depression, and also eating disorders within the last five years. I have been recovered since 2005. Do you think this could mean i'm not a suitable person? Hope not:(

Spangles
06-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi

Don't worry about this at all, this type of thing has been asked a lot and it's always been okay.

As long as Ofsted are happy that it's not a problem then it's fine.

Once they receive your forms they will probably call you a couple of times with questions but it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't worry.

sarah707
06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
It's down to what your doc says... be honest about it and talk to the inspector when she comes out to see you.

Nothing stopping you going to see your doc and telling him what you want to do and how well you are getting on now, before he fills in the forms. :D

Lottie
06-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Not at all! Remember nearly half the population have suffered, are suffering, from some type of depression/stress/ anxiety. Have taken, are taking anti-depressants. It's nothing that should be discriminated against and actually they can't be discriminant towards you anyway, (you could in thery take them to court).

In the past I have suffered from Post-natal depression. I have had no problems with this and my health form, so you shouldn't either. You should just be honest and up front, there is absoloutely nothing to be ashamed of!

Your Doctor has to be truthful and you should be too. It's better that way because if Ofsted find out differently you will be in alot of trouble.

cuddlybunny38
06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Same here had depression over xmas, was on pills and had counselling but all ok now and I was still regisered, be honest with what you write as gp will add their bit as well, good luck.I just explained what the problems were and all ok.Sharon

sarah707
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
While what you say is absolutely right in a fair and equal world Lottie, the doctor gets a form (a second medical form if there are question marks over the first) which asks... 'do you believe the person is capable of looking after other people's children under the age of 5' or words to that effect.

If the doc says no, then you have a battle on your hands with Ofsted and you may have to take your application to appeal.

That's why it can be best to visit your doc beforehand and ask what s/he is likely to put on the form based on your past medical history and show how well you will be able to perform in your newly chosen career. :D

Lottie
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
That's why it can be best to visit your doc beforehand and ask what s/he is likely to put on the form based on your past medical history and show how well you will be able to perform in your newly chosen career. :D

I do agree with this and I did ask my Doctor what he would write. He said that he had to be upfront about everything. However he said that there should not be any problem. He also said that I could take a look at what he wrote and I could if I wanted to question anything that I felt wasn't 'right.' I have to say I do have a good Doctor though.

Heaven Scent
06-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Gosh I was off work sick last year due to stress and before I ended up ill I had realised I couldn't keep going as I was and decided to look into childminding - So much had happened in my family since my first son was born and I hadn't had a chance to get over 1 thing before another happened and I hadn't noticed it all build up then in from 2003 to 2007 we had what seemed like non stop people in the family (on both sides) either being involved in accidents that they just about survived or didn't and others being diagnosed of illnesses that most didn't survive we spent our lives either sitting in hospital wards or at funerals for young and old members of the family and I think it just got in on me and my husband and I got wound up and he said nothing but spent money like a mad thing and got us into financial difficulties at a time when we should have been able to get ourselves straight - he was left some money by his parents which he spent and about double the same again.

Anyway by last January I was soooo ill that I couldn't function any more and went to the doc but wouldn't take anti Depressants because of the Doc putting me on them before when I had bad IBS - See personal Question thread. I did go for councelling. Anyway it al went on my medical dec and noone mentioned it to me ever. My reg went through smoothly and quickly.

Don't worry - all the very best with everything.

Lottie
06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
From the Surestart website: http://www.surestart.gov.uk/surestartservices/inclusionandwellbeing/equalityanddiversity/

Equality & Diversity
"The challenge for us all is our ability to contribute to the delivery - in real and measurable terms - to both economic prosperity and building a fair and inclusive society." - Charles Clarke (DfES Strategy to 2006)

Accessible and affordable childcare and early years services are vital for all children and families, and key to developing an equitable society. The Sure Start, Extended Schools and Childcare Group values diversity and is determined to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. It recognises the importance of preparing all our children to live in a diverse, multiethnic society. It is committed to helping ensure that all Sure Start early years and childcare services:

are open to all
adhere to and implement equality and inclusion policies, procedures and practices
provide appropriate, relevant and accessible activities
provide a safe, supportive and welcoming environment.

The Sure Start, Extended Schools and Childcare Group also recognises the need to support practitioners in developing inclusive services.

Clearly if this is Ofsted's aim, they cannot possibly discriminate against a provider of childcare services, unless they can justify this on the basis that the person is unable to provide those services in an appropriate manner.