PDA

View Full Version : Personal hygiene requirements for different cultures

Zoomie
14-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Sorry, I am trying to answer some questions for my NVQ and I am at a bit of a blank.

How to care different skin and hair - well I can only think of afro type hair and that is best to use an afro comb.

What cultures might have certain personal hygiene requirements and why should you follow these ? I really don't have a clue.

I am not asking for the answers - just some guidance so that I can go and research the right stuff.

singlewiththree
14-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I know there are some cultures that aren't allowed to bathe while they are menstruating, not obviously young child related.

I'm not much help I'm afraid.

miffy
14-09-2010, 08:49 PM
How to care for different skin and hair - things like allergic reactions to different skin products, ecezma, sun safety; hair - affro like you say or some religions are not allowed to cut hair (Sikhs)

Lots of religions have personal hygiene requirements, eg. Sikhs must cover their heads, take off their shoes and wash before entering the temple to pray;
followers of Shinto believe that personal cleanliness is vital - they must take baths, wash their hands and rinse their mouths often.

HTH's
Miffy xx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
14-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Afro-carribean usually need to oil their skin after a bath usually coconut oil, as their skin gets very dry.

use to have to put it on a mindees bum at nappy changes to stop her skin getting chapped

pinkbutterfly
14-09-2010, 11:52 PM
My friend minds an afro child. She always covers her hair with what looks like a hanky folded into triangle when they do messy play. The parent said it's difficult to clean especially if she has thin plaits (don't know if there is another name for them) and beads and it takes long to dry. HTH

christine e
15-09-2010, 06:10 AM
I think Muslims should only wash using running water so don't take baths only showers and wouldn't wash their hands with plug in wash basin but not sure if this is all the time or just before prayers. Also the left hand is for cleaning the body eg wiping your bum, wiping your nose and the right hand for eating, shaking hands

Cx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
15-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Also sand is almost impossible to get out of afro hair

sweets
15-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I know there are some cultures that aren't allowed to bathe while they are menstruating, not obviously young child related.

I'm not much help I'm afraid.

eeeuwww:eek: