PDA

View Full Version : how much sense can i expect of a 8 year old?

mrs.h
14-09-2010, 07:31 PM
hello,

today in my car: back row, 2 lo's and a 8 year old after schoolie. he is the oldest boy in my care and gets on well with the lo's. hence why i sat him there. we stop outside my house, i turn the engine off, hear a seltbelt open and a *plonk* on the floor. 8 year old unclipped lo, 18 months, not walking and he feel on the floor :eek: . luckily bottom first but could have been worse. a few tears and a cuddle later, everything is fine. i told mum and now she wants to know if it was d... because her little says d... crash! :eek:

of course i am not saying who it was but she knows. i feel bad, as i clearly misjudged the 8 year olds common sense and i think even though parents seem to understand, they think my house is a madhouse. children misbehaving, doing silly things, causing havoc. maybe 6 children is a bit much and i lose the plot.....

mrs.h

Lady Haha
14-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Don't beat yourself up about it!!

You misjudged the 8 year old and told mum what had happened and I'm sure the 8 year old realises his mistake....or if he doesn't, make sure he does!!!:)

No big harm was done and I'm sure you manage just fine with six kids.....as for madhouse, isn't that a code word for 'childminders residence' anyway?:laughing:

mamasheshe
14-09-2010, 07:50 PM
i don't have much experience of over sixes sorry.
maybe there not used to little ones?
:(

caz3007
14-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I am sure he just didnt think and was perhaps trying to help. My DS is nearly 8 and does have a lot of sense, but is after all a child and does make mistakes. I will have a quiet chat with D, requesting that he doesnt unclick the smaller ones, just to worry about himself.

onceinabluemoon
14-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I would expect an over 5 to understand they are not to undo their own seatbelts let alone anybody else's! An 8 year old definitely!

sarah707
14-09-2010, 08:48 PM
I think the 8 year old needs very clear guidance...

You sit and you wait until I say it is safe to get out of the car...

I am in charge of the little ones, not you...

Yes I know you were trying to help but I am not insured for that kind of help.

I hope the little one is ok x

VINASOL
15-09-2010, 06:55 AM
I agree with sarah.

I mind an 8 year old and he needs clear FIRM guidance. I am in charge, not you. YOU need to do what I am asking because etc...I find that when I actually sit down and discuss things, it goes in his head and he understands the consequences