PDA

View Full Version : Bargains / bulk buying ?

Annabelle
13-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Have just started and seem to have spent a great deal on "stuff" does anyone know of good places to bulk buy things like wetwipes / basic kitchen supplies?

Being self employed I'm sure there are places...?

Any suggestions welcome and hopefully husband will get off my case!!

Thanks. (I'm in Bristol if that makes a difference)

A xx

cherry
13-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Have you tried Costco's in Avonmouth, as you are self employed you are allowed to join.

miss mopple
13-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Costco or Makro maybe. I have just taken out costco membership but havent checked out their prices properly yet.

I buy wipes etc in bulk when sainsburys have their offers on, get gloves in the pound shop and use fleece wipes for hands and faces rather than more wipes/tissues.

Mouse
13-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I stock up on wipes when I see them on special offer. At the moment Boots have got 3 packs for £2.50, some of them are £1.39 a pack, so a good buy.
I also use fleece cloths for wiping hands & faces, so that cuts down on babywipes.

I am a member of Costco, but don't get much childminding related stuff from there. I often find it's actuallly cheaper to buy things when they're on offer in the supermarket. When I see cheap disinfectant, antibacterial wipes etc in Sainsburys, I stock up.
Costco do sometimes have good value packs of coloured craft paper.

funfunfun
13-09-2010, 08:14 PM
asda are 4 paks for £3 !!!!!!!!! they always are that price thats like 75p a pack

Although tescos have there " cheapy brand " 22p a pack :)

CHEEKY BEE
13-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi, as a childminder u can join Makro for free. They tend to be cheap on bread, chicken, washing powder and I buy gloves from there. They send a leaflet every fortnight showing their offers so you can compare with the local supermarket.

I tend to buy wipes when on offer at supermarkets, but as a general rule I ask parents' to supply their own.
:)

coffee-time
13-09-2010, 09:11 PM
hi annabelle where in bristol are you (im in brislington) ive used costco but not really for childminding stuff, like someone else said i look out for special offers in supermarkets and buy loads if i can afford it! plus if you buy bulk from places like costco its finding somewhere to put it all, i just havent got the room!!

Lady Haha
13-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi, as a childminder u can join Makro for free. They tend to be cheap on bread, chicken, washing powder and I buy gloves from there. They send a leaflet every fortnight showing their offers so you can compare with the local supermarket.

I tend to buy wipes when on offer at supermarkets, but as a general rule I ask parents' to supply their own.
:)

Just been looking at their website as would be very interested in joining! What do I have to do to join as a childminder? It says in the membership part that you need to take in two purchase invoices of over £50 each and recent correspondence from tax man.....I don't think I've got anything recent from taxman and I definitely haven't spent £100 recently!

AnnieM
13-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I think I just took a utility bill and my ofsted reg certificate? It was quite a while ago though so you may be best phoning and asking what you need to take. :thumbsup:

Annabelle
14-09-2010, 01:10 PM
hi annabelle where in bristol are you (im in brislington) ive used costco but not really for childminding stuff, like someone else said i look out for special offers in supermarkets and buy loads if i can afford it! plus if you buy bulk from places like costco its finding somewhere to put it all, i just havent got the room!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I dont think I have the room to store those massive boxes of washing powder etc.
I don't know, I feel a little over whelmed by all the little expenses so far, I think I was just hoping that there would be somewhere amazing where they gave you stuff for free!!!!!? ahh well, back to the drawing board!
(I'm in Brislington too!)

CHEEKY BEE
20-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Just been looking at their website as would be very interested in joining! What do I have to do to join as a childminder? It says in the membership part that you need to take in two purchase invoices of over £50 each and recent correspondence from tax man.....I don't think I've got anything recent from taxman and I definitely haven't spent £100 recently!

I didn't have to take in two invoices. It is different cos ur a childminder. They asked for my registration certificate and I think it was my driving licence.

As AnnieM said it is best to phone first. I have been a member for over two years and they do some really good offers. I have just received a mailing from them today, problem is if I bulk buy sweets I have to bulk eat them:o

Also, if u do phone get a name from the person u speak to as when I joined I was told I needed photos over the phone and that wasn't the case.