PDA

View Full Version : Operation Christmas Child

jumpinjen
13-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi,

I have wanted to do this for a couple of years but I always miss it so this year I am being organised.... here is the link to the leaflet telling you how to do it! I think it needs to be done in October!

http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk/_uploads/downloads/OCC_Leaflet_%28for_web%29.pdf

Here is the main site to find out where is collecting them

https://occ.samaritans-purse.org.uk/locate

jen x

Tina O
13-09-2010, 07:52 AM
It's a great idea and can help your mindees be aware of children in other countries, (now where would we fit that I wonder!!) i've done it a couple of times, (the downside is, it has to be done so early) xx

Mouse
13-09-2010, 08:06 AM
This site gives some suggestions for alternatives. I know many childminders who care for non-christian families (or who are themselves non-christian) who like the idea, but not the scheme itself:

http://www.humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-doing/charities/samaritans-purse

karensmart4
13-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Thank you very much for that info, will def be doing that this year :)

Chimps Childminding
13-09-2010, 08:59 AM
we have a local guy who takes some of the boxes out, and a warehouse where the boxes get sorted - we went for a look round a few years ago, and some of the things people put in are unbelieveable, they said they had even had a pack of supermarket sandwiches put in them before :eek:

Anyhow, we went down with just a big bag of toys, crochet baby blankets, hats/gloves,socks, pants, pens, pencils, soap,toothbrushes etc (we collected them during the year, from sales, bogof, Pound Shops, and June's mum crochets the blankets) and they used them to help fill boxes up where they had to take things out!!

I quite enjoyed getting bits and pieces together, but used to feel awful when my 4 boys were at school and they wanted to do a shoe box each. It wasn't so much putting the items in, it was having to pay £2 with each box - money was tighter in those days :blush:

AnnieM
13-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for posting the link, :) we will definitely be doing a couple of these this year (going to do one for a girl and one for a boy), although I can't get the postcode finder to work, so I don't know where to take them, hopefully it will work before the deadline. :thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
13-09-2010, 11:32 AM
They are always desperate for boxes for older children especially teenagers,
the value brands of toothpaste, brush , flannels and soap in tescos and boots etc are really cheap. I always put in crayons, pencils and a notebook and a colouring book theyre really popular and also a hat and gloves and sweets, some countries don't allow chocolate as its classed as food and a small cuddly toy, car or tennis ball.
Don't put in anything to do with war, reading books, picture books are ok or food or anything with liquid in as it has to be taken out.
Do put in a card from the mindees and don't feel you have to put in £2 with every box, we often do more boxes and send a bag of fillers, but I can't afford to put all the money in.

watgem
13-09-2010, 11:36 AM
we do this every year as a family and a setting, the children really enjoy shopping for gifts and wrapping them and they all make cards:) apparently boys are often left out, especially the older ones.

PixiePetal
13-09-2010, 11:46 AM
My children bring the leaflets home every year from school from one organisation or another so we usually do one or two. Have always done one for a child of their own age so they help choose what to put in and the age group has gone up over time!

I help pack and wrap for the local church who do boxes to send - not a church goer myself but as they run the toddler group, I feel I am giving something back :) also some of the old folks there have funny ideas of what to put in so I do a bit of re sorting! :o

julie w
13-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I will definitely do this but I cant find where to take the boxes as the link doesnt work.x.

Heaven Scent
13-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I used to do loads I think one year I did 15 filling the boxes and wrapping them (although that was a pain sometimes when lids were attached) that was the problem it was finding all teh £2.00 to go in them then I started putting £2 into shoe boxes every now and again until my two started raiding them LOL - I haven't done one for a couple of years now - but I do have boxes and some fillers put away in the attic for them - I really could do with the space so will have to get them done this year.

I thought I might ask parents for some items to help fill them such as hats and gloves etc. I often save little boxes of crayons etc that kiddies get when out and put them in them - Some McDonald etc toys are good too then I add tooth brushes, tooth paste, soaps & flannels etc and always add a card and photo of my two - if I do it with mindess this year I'll put a photo of them in too.

jumpinjen
13-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I will definitely do this but I cant find where to take the boxes as the link doesnt work.x.

The link won't work until October when they will put up the lists of where to take them.... you take them between 1st and 18th November.

I'm planning on printing out the list and sending it home so each family can do a shoe box to bring back in. I will do two with my children each.... the donation is £2.50 now as well!

Jen x

Tribe_mummy
13-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Thank you for the link I do one of these with my own kids each each year, It does raise the childrens awareness. Will be doing it again this year :) x

Alibali
13-09-2010, 05:45 PM
We always do this too, the children love it, whether they are Christian or not. The website has lovely stories and things on too.

RedDragon
13-09-2010, 06:26 PM
oh dear, I watched the youtube video yesterday with my eldest son, it was on for 6 mins and I think I only got to about 34 seconds before I was bawling.

Am definitely going to send some boxes - eldest is going to get his friends (aged 17-18) to do 1 each too - and as someone suggested am going to ask each parent to do one each.

I am non-religious so will them through the non religious website.
:thumbsup:

Monkey1
14-09-2010, 05:29 AM
My 3 children do 2 boxes each and we do the shopping for this together. I also send home a leaflet with each child and we encourage them to put them together and then i take them to our school where they are collected. Need to start looking for shoeboxes:thumbsup:

jumpinjen
14-09-2010, 07:36 AM
This site gives some suggestions for alternatives. I know many childminders who care for non-christian families (or who are themselves non-christian) who like the idea, but not the scheme itself:

http://www.humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-doing/charities/samaritans-purse

Hmmmmm.....have just read through this and think I need to look further, although a Christian i am not an advocate of pushing it alongside aid and feel a bit uncomfortable with what I've just read..... the site is expressing a negative standpoint though mainly about the inclusion of literature with the boxes.... I suppose if we send boxes for the youngest children then they are too little to read the literature yet??

Jen

angeldelight
14-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the information

Angel xx

maisiemog
19-09-2010, 08:08 PM
We'll be doing this as well! We put one together every year through our church and I'm really keen to get my mindees to take part as well. I think it'll be a good experience for them to learn about other children in other countries and to know how lucky they are that mummy and daddy can give them everything they need!