PDA

View Full Version : CRUSTS!!

mushpea
13-09-2010, 06:09 AM
I have just started minding a 4yrold schoolie,, child didnt eat their sandwichs at school so when mum came asked child ask if they could have them,, when child got them out they had no crusts on,, I commented 'oh no crusts' sort of jokingly then mum replied,, 'oh no i dont like them so x dosent eat them either', now i have a rule in my house that we eat our crusts because they used to leave them but not just the crust, they used to take 2 bites and then say dont like the crusts and leave half the sandwich with it,, i got fedup with chuking good sandwichs away so now they eat their crusts and dont get anything else till they do, no-one complains anymore,,, my dilema is if i gcut the crusts of this childs sandwich the others will moan and if i ask her to eat them then the mother will moan, I thought of cutting the top crust of and leaving the side ones on and starting small
what would you do (and yes i know its a silly thing but its bugging me!)

Blackhorse
13-09-2010, 06:37 AM
the crusts issue that exists over here is driving me loopy! I haven't encountered this elsewhere nor have I seen any shops in europe that sell bread without crusts....
I would maybe try and talk to mum and explain how you have managed to get the kids in your home to eat crusts and you would like to try the same for her Lo so that it is fair for all of them.

In my house we eat crusts. Also the pizza end crusts that some would leave.
my trick was to bake our own pizza and bread and told them how lovely the crusts on these were....they all ate it!

It is a shame but obviously some of the habits are being obviously passed down the generations..

christine e
13-09-2010, 06:54 AM
I have just started minding a 4yrold schoolie,, child didnt eat their sandwichs at school so when mum came asked child ask if they could have them,, when child got them out they had no crusts on,, I commented 'oh no crusts' sort of jokingly then mum replied,, 'oh no i dont like them so x dosent eat them either', now i have a rule in my house that we eat our crusts because they used to leave them but not just the crust, they used to take 2 bites and then say dont like the crusts and leave half the sandwich with it,, i got fedup with chuking good sandwichs away so now they eat their crusts and dont get anything else till they do, no-one complains anymore,,, my dilema is if i gcut the crusts of this childs sandwich the others will moan and if i ask her to eat them then the mother will moan, I thought of cutting the top crust of and leaving the side ones on and starting small
what would you do (and yes i know its a silly thing but its bugging me!)

Think I would do this too. I have a 13 year old mindee who would leave the crusts if I let him (his mum let's him!) I never cut off the crusts even for babies infact I give babies the crusts first

sweets
13-09-2010, 07:13 AM
its not something that bothers me really,i eat crusts but didnt as a child. i find with mindees some do and some don't! i always leave crusts on and will not let a child get away with just the 2 bites thing! if they do that then i will pull the crusts off and tell them they have to eat the rest.

tip: if you cut the sandwiches into triangles rather than squares there seems to be less crust to leave as there isnt the corner bit! lol.

wendywu
13-09-2010, 07:13 AM
I have in the past cut the crusts off, very thinly. So they do eat 99% of the sandwich

I can have battles over a lot of things but i cannot be bothered to have a battle of wills over that.

Perhaps offer two puddings, one not so exciting for people who will not eat crusts and a much more yummy one for people who will eat their crusts. That way children get to make their own choices. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
13-09-2010, 07:16 AM
someone told me a trick ages ago. cut off the crusts with the breadknife and then they have no excuse not to eat it all. If you leave the crusts on they tend to leave more. I'm with you and I prefer the crusts eaten but if it saves the arguments I'm happy......

sweets
13-09-2010, 07:17 AM
also forgot to say, when we are on a picnic we all leave our crusts to feed to the birds/ducks :laughing:

like wendy says there are worse things to battle over over than crusts on a sandwich. :)

wendywu
13-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I used to have one mindee who used to eat the pizza crusts from all the other children.

She was an after schooler who only had a snack, then the jacket potato skins and pizza crusts left by the others :)

coffee-time
13-09-2010, 07:36 AM
ive always cut the crusts off my childrens sandwiches! :rolleyes: its never bothered me really as i know how dry any chewy they can be! but then i havent bought a loaf of bread in my life as my dad has always worked at the hovis factory and always get my bread for free!! it might be a different story when i have to pay for it!! lol:panic:

Tina O
13-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I don't really have any feeling either way, they eat them or they don't eat them..... I have in the past cut sandwiches out with cookie cutters to encourage a fussy lo to eat but that was more about making food exciting, but apart from that.....?

Mookins
13-09-2010, 08:22 AM
:blush:
we are non crst eaters too....well im not bothered either way depends how old the bread is lol:D

xx

sarah707
13-09-2010, 08:33 AM
I cut them off - life is too short! :laughing: :D

charlie potato
13-09-2010, 08:43 AM
we all eat crusts in our house bar my 7 yr old who leaves them everytime. I dont cut them off but not fussed if he doesnt eat them. You can now get loaves of bread which are 'no crusts', lol. xx:rolleyes:

caz3007
13-09-2010, 08:48 AM
I cut them off and put them out for the birds. I find they then eat all what is left, so actually have less waste than if I left them on. Its something that I cant be bothered to battle about, things can be tough sometimes, and to me this is a very small issue.

Chimps Childminding
13-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I also tend to cut them off if mindee doesn't want them, that way more of the sandwich gets eaten rather than the two bites as mentioned!! Some of mine eat their crusts, some don't!!

Millenium
13-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I guess I must be lucky because none of my mindees have sandwiches but certainly, I think I would have to work with whatever the parents did in their own homes although it could then become a problem with one child having crusted sandwiches and the other with them removed.

As an adult, I would never now eat a sandwich with crusts on although as a child I did so I've gone the other way!!

mummyof3
13-09-2010, 10:22 AM
I do sandwiches after school for snacks and I got fed up of throwing crusts away with EVERY child all 10 of them!!! I now buy the no crust bread and they are all happy except one who still left the edges as she doesn't like crust :eek: I announced it has no crust its a crust free bread :rolleyes:

mushpea
13-09-2010, 11:55 AM
thanks for the replies,, i do leave the crusts on because i think its such a waste throwing them out and also if they are hungry then they will eat them,, i have just never come across a child whose never eaten crusts before!!

julie w
13-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I absolutely hate waste, but children see it as the norm these days (and some parents) to let children dictate what they will and wont eat and just put it in the bin if they dont feel like eating it. I would never force a child to eat something but I really believe they should learn to waste less and be more appreciative of their meals.Too full for crusts, too full for pudding!

Lincsminder
13-09-2010, 12:25 PM
One of mine wont eat the crusts, she dosnt like the taste so I find if I cut them off really close with a bread knife whe will then eat the whole sandwich, if not she bits up to the crust and a lot more gets wasted. I then put the crusts out for the birds.

Curly Quavers
13-09-2010, 12:50 PM
I cut the crusts off for my children but it really is just a sliver of bread I trim so like somebody else said they are still eating 98%.

In my view life is hard enough without battling over a piece of bread. :D

Katherine
13-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi, I take off the crusts, its much nicer plus there is actually less waste that way and always something for the birds and ducks, may look into this crust free bread tho sounds good.

venus89
13-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I was thinking about this just this lunch time :)
When mine were little it would be eat your crusts if you'd like anything after - no pressure, just let them make the choice. All our 3 eat crusts :)

With the LOs I have no problems if they don't eat the crust as long as they don't do the 2 bite thing...... I was wondering if I ought to discuss with parents, but it seems too trivial and anyway I don't want to get involved in any battles they may have.

As a child I had to eat all my food up, even if I didn't like it. I'd sit there for hours sometimes. And to make it worse Mum was a dinner lady at my school.... By the time I was 11 I'd taken to throwing my sandwiches in the bin, by the time I was in my teens I'd go for days without any food at all if I could get away with it. So I never use food as a punishment ('you can go to bed without any dinner!') and never force a child to eat anything.

PixiePetal
13-09-2010, 01:07 PM
my own kids, now teens, have always eaten their crusts - but DD doesn't like brown bread.:rolleyes:

mindees get given sandwiches with crusts on - if they don't eat them I might cut the top one off and then quarter into triangles. As someone else said, you don't get the corner bit then!

sometimes it is just a habit - like when you cut them off and they still leave the edges, daft!

Playmate
13-09-2010, 01:28 PM
O here here :D

A freind of mine used to cut off the crusts and then serve them on a seperate plate with dips :D It works :clapping:

~Chelle~
13-09-2010, 01:40 PM

:thumbsup:

Mouse
13-09-2010, 01:50 PM
My children all think I'm strange - they eat crusts, but I don't! I'm not a big bread eater anyway, but when I do have it it has to be fresh & soft. I hate bread if it's even a little bit hard. and I can't stand crusts.

At the weekend DH will often rustle up some bacon sarnies. I have them, but without the bread (ie. a slice of bacoon with a blob of sauce :laughing: )

onceinabluemoon
13-09-2010, 06:00 PM
My mindees don't eat crusts at home but do eat them here. No battles, no arguments, just told them that at my house we eat crusts... (Well, it's not like they're poisoned is it?)

Crusts are the best bit! It was always an argument when mine were growing up as to who had the rust of the loaf!!

mamasheshe
13-09-2010, 06:49 PM
i haven't come across the crust issue YET :blush:

Dragonfly
13-09-2010, 07:12 PM
eh mouse your husband may have a bacon sarnie but you cant say you do with out any bread:eek:

Oh and I always say we eat the crusts here too! also cant believe people skin cucumbers::rolleyes: and why cant a older child eat a apple without it being cut up Why?

nannymcflea
13-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh and I always say we eat the crusts here too! also cant believe people skin cucumbers::rolleyes: and why cant a older child eat a apple without it being cut up Why?

I skin cucumbers cause it gives me tummy ache with the skins on..I cut my apples up, nicer to eat it this way,do the same with pears too!(also mars bars:D )

I don't force crust eating,my eldest eats up to the crust,youngest eats everything...too many major issues in my house to make a big deal of the minor ones!:panic:

Whatever floats your boat.:thumbsup:

Lou
13-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I cut the crusts off DD sandwhiches (she is 7!!) My reasoning is, i dont really like crusts, why would you they are tough and hard!!!

As she is at school, if i dont cut them off then she has like 2 bites and leaves the rest, and as dinner ladies arnt allowed to make them eat anything now, its a massive waste. Whereas if i cut them off she eats the whole thing...

....OR i buy nice soft rolls which solve the problem lol

mushpea
14-09-2010, 06:43 AM
i prefer the apples cut up lol although i have one mindee that dosent eat the apple with skin on at home, mum says he detests it and pulls awful faces yet here he never complains and eat the whole thing! she only told me he didnt like it after i told her he ate it lol
think i will go with the triangles,, never thought about that one before, definatly looks less crusts and looks posher too:laughing:

Heaven Scent
14-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Crusts and skins are the best part and I don't believe in all that mamby pamby business of taking them off!!!!

What do you call the end slices of a pan loaf of bread sliced or unsliced.

Where I come from we call those two slices "heels".

mamasheshe
14-09-2010, 06:25 PM
i do like a triangular sandwich