PDA

View Full Version : Media Request

dawnfp
12-09-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm a freelance writer currently writing a piece about how to provide a stimulating childcare setting while keeping things tidy and presentable. Do any of you have tried and tested tips, comments or advice about storage solutions, tidying routines, space usage... that you wish to share? Or perhaps you have particular views or experiences of the combination of children and tidiness (or children and untidiness).

If you have any comments or stories please contact me at dfpapc@aol. I'll also be happy to answer any questions you may have about this article.

Many thanks in advance
Dawn

sarah707
13-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi Dawn, it's good to see you again!

I am very lucky that all the children I currently look after are pretty good at tidying up when they have finished playing.

We make it into a game from their earliest time with me - sometimes we put on music and have a dance... other times we sing songs and try to finish before the song ends.

All my toy boxes are labelled with pictures as well as words and they are small boxes (mostly) so toys are separated easily. I am not at all worried if the little ones go for the wrong box if they are helping - their contribution to the process is valued.

I explain to the children that there is a limited floor space and if they do not clear away others (or they) might trip and fall. We also know because we do them regularly that toys near door ways are hazards when doing fire practices... and if it was a real fire we would not want to be falling over the Lego when trying to get outside.

A while ago I cared for a child who was exhibiting a scattering schema. He seemed compelled to tip out every box and push the contents around with his feet. It took a few session of intense work with him to get him to take the box he most wanted to tip into a safe place in the adjoining room. He could then tip it and push it around as much as he wanted... when he was bored he was then supported and encouraged to help me put the contents away before either going off to play or tipping another box.

I hope I have said something useful! :D

dawnfp
13-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Very useful. Thank you, I'm PMing you.

Still after other comments too, if anyone has any.

Dawn

sarah707
15-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Bumping this up for Dawn.

I am sure lots of you have tidiness / untidiness stories to share! :laughing: :D

dawnfp
18-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the ideas for this piece. All done now.

Dawn

Mookins
18-09-2010, 08:35 PM
hi, i havent yet started minding (begin on Monday)but like Sarah has said...my dd and I turn tidying up into a game...whos the fastest, counting them, il tidy the books she will do the bricks and such like...again my storage all have name labels as well as pictures

we also have a recycle box (green) for any waste paper, unwanted pictures to help with learning about recycling as well as tidying

hope this helps...if i think of anything else or it all changes once ive started il let you know :D

xx

Mookins
18-09-2010, 08:37 PM
oh...just seen youve finished lol:clapping:

xx