PDA

View Full Version : to give or not give notice?

happy days
12-09-2010, 08:54 PM
hello

I have been minding a 6 yr old for 3 months now, however I feel the demands of the parents are becoming unreasonable and changing things with a days notice!
For example 3 weeks booked off in the summer holdiays, not a problem, asked when they came back to have them everyday mon-fri, when they got back from hols, it was 'oh we only need you day now this week as child going to granparents', and the same thing happened the following week, and when I said well I feel i have been very mucked about, they said well dont bother with that day we will just stick to school picks ups when the schools start again.
Sept schools start did last week mon- fri 3-6 and they have just informed me tonight by text message child wants to after school club evry day can i pick up at 4/4.15 -6! what a nightmare picking 3 children up at 3 and then heading back for 4 or having a spare hour in the park!
she also wont let her child watch television, comes in and aks how long the tv had been on, normally ten minutes or so but makes me feel like a idiot, and doesnt pay on time! goes throught the invoice with a toothcomb and asked do all the parents get charged full fees when its hols and less than 4 weeks notice given. To me she doesnt respect me or my setting and i getting very impatient with her, do you think i should give notice to her on grounds of too much inconsistency? also when she started I was supposed to have her other child aged 3 , he had one settling in session, next day he went to nursery and started full time 3 days later! no notice on that either, some parents are so undeserving of us! rant over lol

naartjies
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I would give notice and just say for personal reasons - good luck

barbarella68
12-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I think you know yourself what to do-get rid and get somebody who will treat you with respect. This job is hard and we don't need people who make it harder.:(

green puppy
12-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I would give notice too, definatly would not do pick up from after school club after a school run, not fair on the other children or you.

mrs.h
12-09-2010, 09:25 PM
hello,

i would give notice. probably without giving a reason and if they ask i would say it doesn't work for you. they are taking the mickey :angry: .

there are so many children and parents out there that respect us and no one deserves to be messed around.

good luck,

mrs.h

happy days
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
thanx for your support guys, i have really found explaining my dilema has made up my mind in my head! but just wanted reasurrance from people who might have been in the same boat as me, now just to write the dam thing :panic:

bexcee
12-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes definately give notice, sounds like they have no respect for you and your childminding business and without respect it is very hard to build a good working relationship.

wendywu
12-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Yes give notice she sounds like too much trouble.

No way would i do an after school run and then back out again at a later time :panic:

charlie potato
12-09-2010, 10:24 PM
in respect to having to trail back to school i'd tell parent that there are other mindees to consider and on cold dark nights its not in their best interests to be trailing backwards and forwards. xx

mushpea
13-09-2010, 06:03 AM
I have just had the after school club thing and I have 4 school walkers plus the one who wants to do after school clubs and also littlys too so I said no,, they finsih at 3.45 so by the time we get home get coats and shoes off wed have to go out again.
As for the school hols were they contracted for those weeks? if so you should have charged for them anyway.
I personally would ask for a meeting, explain the problem and then add that if things dont improve then notice will be given,, I supose it depends on how much you need the income from him
good luck with your decision

christine e
13-09-2010, 06:06 AM
I think you really need to learn to stand up to people like this and as post above says learn to say NO, in the case of the after school club if didn't fit in with the care of the other children so you should have said that you couldn't do it.

Obviously you are entitled to give notice if you are unhappy but you do need to be strong when you come across people like this - your business - you say what you charge!

Cx

peanuts
13-09-2010, 06:11 AM
There is no way i would hang about for 1 hour every day. What happens when it is poring with rain, cold and windy and coming up to winter sleet/snow. You have the other mindees to consider.

The Juggler
13-09-2010, 06:31 AM
i would tell her that I can't do after school activity pick ups (she'll be lucky to find someone who does too! ). It's not fair on other children either.

and yes i would use this as an excuse to give notice. poor you.x

caz3007
13-09-2010, 06:51 AM
I dont do after school activities, my parents have never really asked and organise someone else to collect whilst paying to keep their place open as they often only for half a term. I know I am lucky with my parents.

I would give notice if you feel you cant work with this parent