PDA

View Full Version : What Kind Of Gloves Must Be Used For Nappy Changes? (Scotland)

phoebe-alice
11-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi there, I need of your advise again!

I was at a child protection course this morning and one of the other childminders there commented that she hated wearing the aprons and gloves for every single nappy, so sent me into check it out further. I had not been told at all that I should wear gloves or an apron during nappies. I thought good hygene would surfice! :eek:

So now just wondering what are the actual guidelines on it are and what kind of gloves and apron am I actually meant to use. So if anyone could help me out at all that would be great!

Don't believe how many your not even told about by the care commission and I have been registered since Feb. I would have thought it would have been mentioned in the initial registration. But oh wells. :rolleyes:

Anyway thanks and hope to hear from you soon Phoebe x x

Alibali
11-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Yes, most of the CCO's expect us to be using gloves and aprons, infection control recommend it for all possible contact with bodily fluids.

Gloves and aprons should be single use, disposable. Gloves should be latex free in case of allergies and preferably powder free.

phoebe-alice
11-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks alot thats a great help at least I know what I'm looking for now. But I'll try and get hold of some before monday, goodness knows where I'll get them though! :eek:
Is there anywhere good online to get them, I have been looking around but the delivery charges seem to be stagering! I'm starting to think it might be best looking in booker (the whole salers) and buying them in bulk?
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon Phoebe x x

sarah707
11-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I got my last lot of gloves from the wholesaler (we don't have to wear aprons in England... yet).

I know some childminders use EBay as well.

I think it's just a matter of shopping around. I agree some of the postage charges are ridiculous!!

Could you get together with other minders in your area and do a bulk order? You might get free p & p that way.

Hth :D

pinkbutterfly
11-09-2010, 11:16 PM
I bought a box of 100 vinyl gloves on ebay for £2.80 plus £1.90 P&P.

Alibali
12-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I get mine on line from 'justgloves' the p&p seems steep, but I buy in bulk, get 10 boxes at a time and it averages at £2.40 a box inc p&p. I use the gloves a lot, so don't need to share them, but you could if you want.

singingcactus
12-09-2010, 02:26 PM
My dad was fixing my hubbies motor bike yesterday and he pulled on a pair of non latex non powder ones - I commented that I would need to find a new place to buy mine from now when I restart and he said in tescos, on the first aid section you can buy 300 for £3. I don't know if they do a big size, but they do small and medium apparently, and they look very robust too. He did after all fix a bike wearing them.