PDA

View Full Version : Too many enquiries and don't know what to do!

cs01
10-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I appear to be in a very enviable position but don't know what to do! So thought I'd ask everyone on here for their wise opinions ;)

I currently work Mon, Tues and Wed, all year round and have 1 space becoming available when my youngest starts school.

Enquiry A

All day Monday and Thurs am (9-1). This mum is physically unable to do much with her child because of a disability. I suggested Thurs am because I thought it would be nice to do something with the child on a one to one, such as soft play or swimming. Child is also starting a nursery setting on tues and wed so a bit wary of her having to cope with lots of new settings, having never been left by mum before.

Enquiry B

A mum from my school is increasing her hours at work and will either need 1 or 2 days a week, term time and school hours only.

So could accomodate both these enquiries but would not been earning as much in the school hols.

Enquiry C

Mum wants 3 full days a week, any days.

My head says go with option C as I would then have the same 3 children, 3 days a week and paperwork for only 3 children. Option A would be happy for me to do Thurs am only if I could not offer Monday so could possibly do this.

My heart thinks I should go with A & B as I saw them first and I don't have the heart to turn them away.

Opinions please.....

miffy
10-09-2010, 12:20 PM
What a nice position to be in!

Enquiry A - not sure I would open up a day that I'm not currently working just for one child, unless you are hoping to get more business on a Thursday.

I'd also want to know why mum is starting child with nursery 2 days but wants a childminder 2 days too. Is it because nursery don't have space for the child, in which case will she move her as soon as they do?

Enquiry B - nice work tto if it pays you enough money. Has the advantage of fewer children when your own children are at home

Enquiry C - straight forward and fills the whole vacancy left by your dd starting school, also all year round so maximises income for the space.

Be nice if you could fit in both A and B but I have reservations about A being long term.

I'd ask B to confirm exactly what she needs and see C to find out if you think the child would fit into your home before you make the decision.

Sorry, I've waffled on and probably been no help whatsoever! :laughing:

Miffy xx

cs01
10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks Miffy - some great advice and will do what you suggest.

cs01
14-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Well I never! Met up with option C and straight away knew she would go with a nursery setting when she mentioned having concerns about child protection because childminders work alone. Had an email of her yesterday confirming her decision and then she wrote that her worst fear would be that her child would be stuck in front of the tv all day and that I did not allay here fears!

I was quite upset about this comment and feel I have had a lucky escape. I like to work with families that trust me not to hurt their children whilst sticking them in front of the tv all day!

Beetlejuice
14-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Wow - definitley a lucky escape there. How dare the parent say that to you!!!:angry:

ETA the more I think about this the more cross I get. We are delivering the EYFS and we are professionals and are on a level playing field with nurseries and preschools but still we have this reputation for sticking kids in front of the tv all day!!!:mad:

WibbleWobble
14-09-2010, 01:29 PM
flippin eck....nowt strange as folk!

mandy xx

marnieb
14-09-2010, 02:52 PM
I can't believe she said that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

funemnx
14-09-2010, 04:32 PM
OMG !!!!!!!!!!! Lucky escape - I feel sorry for the nursery :eek:

cs01
14-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all your comments everyone. It's nice to know I wasn't being over sensitive! Every other enquiry I've had the parents have been lovely so I must admit my confidence was knocked a bit when I read her email. But anyway, I know I'm a good childminder and it doesn't matter what she thinks ;)

jelly15
14-09-2010, 07:06 PM
I can't belive that she said those things to you :eek: . Why did she even consider a childminder if she thinks her child would be more at risk, as we work alone, than in a nursery (did she not read/see the news last year about that monster who abused LOs in a nursery).

RachelE
14-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Strange lady! - at least you've only got 2 options now!

Its so tough isnt it?

I have had the same problem this week.

I 'chose' my family today and have a gorgeous 13 month boy starting in a few weeks.

You have to follow your heart and what you feel is right for you.
Its easier to let someone down gently for a few mins, than to spend months regretting a decsion.

Good luck!

Rachel x