PDA

View Full Version : sharing

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
10-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I do my best to encourage all the children to share the toys take turns etc...

BUT

I have a certain 3 1/2 year old mindee who wants to play with whatever the other children are playing with.

One mindee will happily be sitting there playing with something such as the small dolls house and mindee 1 will come in demanding to play, when I say no mindee 2 is playing with it right now, mindee 1 will pipe up with "But we have to share"!

What would you do make mindee 2 share knowing full well that the only reason mindee 1 wants to play with it is cause mindee 2 is. or say "no to mindee 1 and tell him to wait till mindee 2 is finished and if so would you give mindee 2 a time limit or wait till he finishes playing with the house?

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
10-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Bumping my post!

helenlc
10-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I am having trouble with a 2 1/2 yr old sharing. He is particularly worse with the toy cars - so yesterday we didnt have them out!! We have been saying Share and he is particularly happy to share as long as he has what he wants!!! Grrrr

I think the children get very wise to using the whole share thing to their advantage and then it gets hard for us to get it right. They hear us say "Share" and know that usually things are handed over ie if one child has snatched off the other, then we say We must share and generally give the item back to the other child.

I think they need to learn that they need to share TURNS at something as well as actually learning to share the item. So you could say Yes we must share but it is **'s turn now and then it will be yours.

Or how about timing turns at something - so they maybe have 5 minutes each? I know this might get annoying for you but it might be a solution until they can take responsibility for taking turns themselves.

How about some books from the library about taking turns, sharing, being friends etc? I think its one of those hard ones to get right in the sense of letting the children learn for themselves but also having to intervene to be fair to everyone.

Hope it gets better soon:thumbsup:

sarah707
10-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Sharing is not always an immediate thing and children have to learn to wait.

This is a skill that takes some children a very long time to learn!!

I suggest you spend time teaching waiting in a range of different ways... a short wait for shoes, a short wait for a spoon of yoghurt, a short wait while someone else is speaking etc.

Lots of praise when the child has managed to be patient. If you and parents do it in the same way (rather than immediate gratification) the child will learn to wait for toy turns as well.

Hth :D

Tina O
10-09-2010, 05:39 PM
It a difficult one, as sometimes we don't have to share in life, so is it best to always make children share????

I support the taking turns approach and as for suggestion of books from library I have a couple of books in 'learning to get along' range (by free spirit publishing, author cheri j meiners, m.ed.) there is one called 'share and take turns' I don't have this one I have 'join in and play' and 'talk and work it out' the full range is of approx 15 books all to help children deal with everyday emotional situations. simple child friendly easy to read together.... also has an adult reinforce section in back to help develop the ideas.... may be helpfull xx