PDA

View Full Version : laptop on expenses

louised
06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I recently purchased a laptop to use solely for my childminding business as I can never get near the family pc with children who are 10 and 15. On reading the information posted on the forum it seems that capital allowances should be claimed on such a purchase but on page 102 of the ncma members handbook is the following statement;

'It is your decision whether or not to claim capital allowances rather than direct expenses for some items that you buy as part of your business. You do not have to claim capital allowances for any item if you choose not to.'

It seems much easier just to put it through on my expenses as if you go down the capital allowances route you need to keep full business accounts. I just wondered what anyone else has done.

Minnie Minx
06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
sorry can't help as i haven't started yet and it's gone way over my head :laughing: :laughing:

xx

sarah707
06-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I would suggest you contact the tax office for professional advice :D

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helplines/self-employed.htm

susi513
14-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with Sarah, best to get it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I bought my laptop on a Dell 0% interest account so set up the direct debit from my business account and will be entering those payments as the business expenses rather than the full purchase price at once.

The benefit of claiming capital expenses is:-
if you buy a car, for example, and put it thru normally then this expense will reduce your profit and consequently the amount of tax you have to pay that year - you might not even have to pay any tax due to the large expense. But the following year you might not have so many expenses and might have to pay tax again.

By claiming capital expenses on the vehicle you can spread the expenses over a few years, bringing down your taxable income for all of those years and not just the year of purchase. So not worth doing unless its a REALLY big purchase. Some items may seem really expensive but when you divide up over a few years it won't affect your return much.

Lincsminder
14-04-2008, 08:02 PM
As I earn so little and don't expect to pay tax in the next year, I was advised to put it all down as an expense.
caroline

John
14-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I got a new PC just after Christmas i got told by the tax office i could take 75% off the price.

john.

Lou
14-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I bought a laptop last yr, i use it mainly to talk to you lot (research ha ha) and to type policies and download resources etc.

Having said that my family do also use it occasionally when they can so i put 50% of the cost through.

HTH

chez1373
16-04-2008, 06:56 PM
OOOOOOHHHHH NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have just done my first tax return and i put my laptop through on that capital expence im now thinkin i shouldnt have done that..

I am so confused i dont have to pay tax this year which is great but i dont think i did it correct.

Im now very worried i have to keep all the recipts etc and not just above £10.00 what do you think any advice please.

bubbly
18-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Having said that my family do also use it occasionally when they can so i put 50% of the cost through.

HTH

I did the same with mine & put 50% through