PDA

View Full Version : Numbers question - advice needed

Littlebiffa
09-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been childminding since May this year so am still fairly new to all this. I have only had one 10yr old after school so I have not needed an ofsted inspection yet.

Basically my issue is this: I have a 15month old daughter and I am expecting my 2nd baby in 2 weeks (hopefully!). I have been asked to pick up a 3yr old and a 4 and a half year old from their home in the morning and take them to school and pre-school. The mum then wants me to pick them up from school in the afternoon and drop them home again. Their nan looks after them at home when the parents are at work but is unable to drive hence me doing the school runs.

She has been let down by the original childminder she had found due to a family bereavement and is desperate for someone to do this for her. None of the other childminders in the area can do it as they all pick up and drop off from the bigger, busier schools. She has tried all the taxis in the area and none of them will do it.

I could do this job now but when my next baby arrives then I would have 4 under 5 instead of the limit of 3. I was wondering if anyone know whether this would matter as I am not minding the children in my home? If I was a nanny looking after the children then the numbers wouldn't matter - am I right? So I am wondering if I could get around it in that way. I don't mean to come across like I don't want to stick to the rules but it does seem silly if I won't be allowed to do this for her when it is only a maximum of an hour each day. I know that I can apply to Ofsted for a variation but have heard that they are very unlikely to agree to it. However, this job is definitely not worth losing my registration over!

I know I have totally waffled on and if anyone has made it this far and understood what I am going on about then I applaud you!! :clapping:

I would really appreciate any advice, I am pretty sure that I will ring Ofsted tomorrow anyway but want to see if anyone has been in the same position first.

Thank you so much,

Angie

Carpet Monkeys
09-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Is the 4.5 year old in school full time? If so, she'll count as being in your 5-8 age group, as long as you have the bit on your certificate?

I'm hoping that's right as I've got a 4 year old in school part time till xmas and she's going to be taking up one of my under 5 places.

HappyH
09-09-2010, 09:16 PM
If the 4.5 yr old is full time at school (reception maybe) then it shoud be fine as she will be classed as 5yrs.:)

Pipsqueak
09-09-2010, 09:23 PM
confirming the 4.5yr old will be in your 5-8 ratios IF they are in full time school.
you may need to ask ofsted to put the rising 5 clause on your certificate so that it covers you

Chimps Childminding
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
If the 4.5 yr old is full time at school (reception maybe) then it shoud be fine as she will be classed as 5yrs.:)

Agree!!! :thumbsup: But.................................... unless you can fill the space between the hours of dropping off and picking up, you will be losing your only under 5 space and one of your over 5's for, I would have thought, very little money:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
just re-read your thread.
you will be caring for the children in their own home? then you wil not be 'childminding' as your certificate ratio's apply to YOUR home where you would be minding from.

doing it from your home would be ok though as already stated with the older child being at school.

for the 3yr old at nursery - what time will she finish nursery? as carolyn rightly points out you may have to charge a fee or retainer for the time she is at nursery - as you may find it very hard to find someone who wants those specific hours.