PDA

View Full Version : overwhelmed by SEF

*donnalouise*
09-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I am a newly registered childminder (started minding 1/9/10). I have just got round to looking at the SEF.... and am overwhelmed :panic:

It seems there is sooooo much to complete! I know this is a working document, but would I be expected to have made a start on this in all area's by my first inspection.

ahhhhhhhh... where do I start :panic: :panic: :panic:

miffy
09-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Get Sarah's e-book!

http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-books.html

Miffy xx

jaja
09-09-2010, 08:35 PM
u dont have to do it, just prove you review and access everything that you do on a regualr basis, i do questionnairs, review all mypolics, procedures, paperwork and everything i do with the children and parents and then this is all reviewed every month to three months, i also like the ncam flection sheets instead, why ot do that?

xx

curlycathy
09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Aw hun, can relate to this, I was reduced to tears by it!

Firstly - its not a legal requirement to complete it but it is good practice. Don't panic about it, take it a section at a time - you don't have to complete it in any set order. I didnt do mine online, I did a paper copy and found it useful just to scribble on as and when I thought of stuff.

It did make the inspection easier I think because it was already completed and it had made me think about my practice, and what I could do to improve, which the inspector liked.

So take it slow, do it in your own time and don't let anyone pressure you. The SEF is supposed to help YOU with YOUR learning, nobody else's. Once you make a start it will come, I promise.

Good luck!

HappyH
09-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Don't panic.
You don't have to fill it in but it does make the inspection a lot easier (quicker). I found that just doing a little at a time worked and strangely I found the guidence notes actually helped (normally find they make no sense). There seemed to be a lot of repeating information, it does seem very overwhelming but answer as best you can, as far as I could tell theres no 'wrong way' as you are evaluation yourself so it is your own opinion of how you are doing.
Hope that makes some sense. :)

keeks
09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I read somewhere (perhaps in the Ofsted pack, perhaps on this forum?) that the Preparing for your Registration Visit booklet is helpful when you do your SEF. If you did fill that in before your pre reg visit, have a look and see if it is helpful.

xx