PDA

View Full Version : confused about the learning journal

gazanne
09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Are all the observations, linking to the 6 areas and planning next steps in a childs learning journal enough for ofsted or do we need to have another folder to show planning and obs. Just a bit confused about where everything goes. xxx

Tina O
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm under BFEYS not OFSTED, they are very similar...... I have two folders, well one, the journal is an A4 book but the other is a folder! I keep obs/planning/next steps in folder and daily journal is a 'what we did' record that goes home each week, (I would be 'concerned' that if everything went home I wouldn't get it back and then have nothing to show inspectors !!)... not sure what others do......

sarah707
09-09-2010, 06:28 PM
A child's learning journey / journal is something that builds up over months and years.

It contains everything from the initial paperwork about the child, their likes and dislikes etc through observations, assessments, planning, photos, contributions from parents and child, notes from other settings etc.

It becomes a lovely keepsake for children when they leave Eyfs or your house.

You can also do a dairy which goes home and comes back every day, but that would not contain the same info.

Is that what you mean? :D

gazanne
09-09-2010, 07:37 PM
So if most things go in the learning journal do i need to keep any other obs and planning elsewhere.

sophiestars
09-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Your learning journals are where you keep the observations and individual plans for each child's development. These build up as Sarah says, so that over time you can see the child's progress. This is the folder you give them to keep at the end of their time with you but will mainly stay with you for now so you can add things. You are meant to show this to parents from time to time (partnership with parents!) and get them to add things if you can, too. (Easier said than done!).
You may also have continuous or group planning that relates to your setting as a whole and all the children in your care. This doesn't go into the learning journals.

The daily diary (which is what I think Tina O means when she says daily journal) is usually a small book in which you record day to day things such as what the child has been doing that day, where you've been, what they have eaten, nappy changes, nap times etc. This usually goes home with the child each day and it's always a good idea to tell the parents they can make comments in the book too about anything they feel is relevant.

Hope that helps x

Pipsqueak
09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Childrens LJ's with the obs are separate from the generic planning - so yes for me two separate folders.
If i have done more specific, tailored planning for a child, then the planning goes into their file.

gazanne
10-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Got it at last, thank you. xxx

grindal
10-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I have always out my planning in my learning journal, but have only ever had 1 mindee. Now I have 3 I may need to re think!

funfunfun
10-09-2010, 08:02 AM
i keep all obs individual planned activitys and eyfs stuff in one folder(individual for each child) ............

another folder for permissions medications forms or accident forms

hope thats right

gazanne
10-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Thats what i had planned to do but then i read posts about short and long term planning and planning in terms/seasons and wasnt sure where it would fit in the learning journal. Im sure there should be a commer or full stop in there somewhere. sorry. xxx: