PDA

View Full Version : every things pink!!

mushpea
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
I have looked after p for 2yrs now he is 3yrs 9months and up untill last september he new his colours, then last september he stopped comming to me for 2 months whilst mum found a new job ,, he then came to both me and leapfrog,, mum wasnt happy with leapfrog so he left there and is with me full time now again,, ever since comming back he 'dosent know' his colours ,, if i have a bucket full of cars and ask him to find the blue one he will look at the blue one but not pick it up, he will pick up every other colour car instead and say 'this one' unill the blue one is last so he has to pick it up,,, today out walking we were looking for different colour cars,, in the end i kept pointing out red cars and asking him what colour,,he said pink every time so i said no j's wellies are pink, is the car the same colour he said no then said the car was any colour other than red,, we did this with about a dozen cars and still he insisted pink so i then started on green cars but still they were pink,,now the red i could understand as it is similar to pink but not green!! I cant decide if he is just being stubbon or if there is a genuine problem,, he can recognize that not all colours are the same.
there are other issues at the mooment such as not turning his jumper round the right way when he has been able to since the start of the holidays and delibritly putting shoes on the wrong feet even when i point to the shoe then the right foot and also if i say hold the buggy he just stands there looking at me,,
nothing has changed at home or at mine so cant work out what is going on,
any ideas on how i can get him to name his colours (other than pink!)

sarah707
09-09-2010, 05:56 PM
It sounds like he is trying to regain control of his life and one of the ways of doing that is to decide what feet his shoes go on and what he says in answer to questions ... is he being picky with food all of a sudden as well?

I'd just give it time and lots of patience. He will work things out when he realises he is secure with you again.

:D

mushpea
09-09-2010, 06:24 PM
It sounds like he is trying to regain control of his life and one of the ways of doing that is to decide what feet his shoes go on and what he says in answer to questions ... is he being picky with food all of a sudden as well?

I'd just give it time and lots of patience. He will work things out when he realises he is secure with you again.

:D

Food has always been an issue with him,, he used to eat , then make himself sick then eat some more! now there are just days when he refuses to eat although the last couple of days i stopped giving him morning snack and now he does eat his lunch, I personally think its him attention seeking and also trying to wind me up so i shout ,, i never shout but his mum does when she gets frustrated so think he is also trying it on to see how much i can take before i break.

Mouse
09-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I'd say he does know his colours, but is chosing not to admit it! By picking every car apart from the blue one, he's showing that he did know which one it was.

Maybe at nursery the children who didn't know the colours got more attention than him as he already knew them. Maybe he figured out he'd get more attention if he faked it?

I wouldn't push it with him. Just take a very laid back approach & praise him when he gets the colour right. Hopefully he'll soon find his feet & be happy showing how bright he is :D

sweets
09-09-2010, 06:31 PM
i wonder if he is playing you? next time you ask him a colour and he says pink say 'yes thats right well done' say it quite seriously without a smile and see what reaction you get. If you think he is putting his shoes on the wrong feet deliberatly then let him and when he runs say what a shame you would run much faster if you had your shoes the right way.

sometimes it pays to play them at their own game! lol

or you could try having a game of opposites with him ask him to give you the wrong answer and get him to ask you questions as well, my 4 year old mindee used to love this game.

Tina O
09-09-2010, 06:35 PM
from information you have shared I would say he is looking for a reaction, not in a bad way just trying to work out the world.... perhaps someone at the other setting made a big 'game' of things being 'wrong' and got the kids to correct them and he is looking for this reaction.....

bexcee
09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
i wonder if he is playing you? next time you ask him a colour and he says pink say 'yes thats right well done' say it quite seriously without a smile and see what reaction you get. If you think he is putting his shoes on the wrong feet deliberatly then let him and when he runs say what a shame you would run much faster if you had your shoes the right way.

sometimes it pays to play them at their own game! lol

or you could try having a game of opposites with him ask him to give you the wrong answer and get him to ask you questions as well, my 4 year old mindee used to love this game.

Some good advice there, worth a go.

I would also say that he is either testing the boundaries or attention seeking. He's been through a lot of changes lately and maybe needs to feel like he is in control for a bit.

How about a reward chart or a small sticker for every time he gets a colour right, shoes on the right feet, jumper on the right way etc. See if it is an incentivve to do it.

Good luck and would be interesting to hear how he gets on.