PDA

View Full Version : Examples of learning journal/journey?

nikkia77
09-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Would anyone be willing to share as I really don't get it, I've looked online & in books & all I can find is ideas of what to put in them when what I really need is to look at a couple of examples as thats how I process info lol

If any of you would be willing to share either on here or by pm I would be very grateful (feel free to protect it from being used, I wouldn't like anyone to think I was trying to rip them off)

Thanks in advance xx

michellethegooner
09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
I know wot u mean pm me ur email and I will try and get an example of mine later this evening

nikkia77
09-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I know wot u mean pm me ur email and I will try and get an example of mine later this evening

Have pm'ed you thankyou x

sarah707
09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Have a look through the learning journey bit of the forum... I put a nice sample I found when browsing on here a while ago.

Also look here for inspiration :D

http://eyfsforchildminders.webnode.com/eyfs-learning-journey/

nikkia77
11-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Have a look through the learning journey bit of the forum... I put a nice sample I found when browsing on here a while ago.

Also look here for inspiration :D

http://eyfsforchildminders.webnode.com/eyfs-learning-journey/

Thanks I did that first & found the example you put up but i'd already seen that one while searching the web, I can't believe something that is made such a big deal of is almost impossible to find examples of, it's ok to read how others have done theirs if you're able to process info that way but I need to see examples in front of me to make it go in :blush:

Oh well, looks like i'll have to buy the one's i've seen for sale as it seems that's the only way i'm going to be able to do it

Thanks anyway x

sarah707
11-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Oh well, looks like i'll have to buy the one's i've seen for sale as it seems that's the only way i'm going to be able to do it

Thanks anyway x

Be careful! Some are good and some are not.

I am using one at the moment which has been passed on by parents - they want me to carry it on. It's awful for want of a better word. It is bound as well so there is no flexibility.

Make sure before spending money that you buy something over which you have control so if you don't like one set of forms you can mix and match them.

Hth :D

MAWI
11-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I agree with Sarah. I have spent money on several items from the WEB. In the end I have finally got to a level of working that suits me.
Even if they look great, they may not work for you (trust me I know)
Ive used little ideas from various resources and now after many many months and adaptaions have come up with a system that workd for me. That is not to say that it may work for the next person. Im happy with it FINALLY!!!
Good luck with it, I know its difficult

nikkia77
11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree with Sarah. I have spent money on several items from the WEB. In the end I have finally got to a level of working that suits me.
Even if they look great, they may not work for you (trust me I know)
Ive used little ideas from various resources and now after many many months and adaptaions have come up with a system that workd for me. That is not to say that it may work for the next person. Im happy with it FINALLY!!!
Good luck with it, I know its difficult

It may sound cheeky but that is what I was hoping to achieve without having to spend out loads of money x

Andrea08
12-09-2010, 01:26 PM
hi I too am looking at changing the way i do the learning journal,, ive done a full yr for one LO and its ova 100 pages of everdance building and summerative assessments far too much work (ok when i only had one Lo to do it for now i have a few part timers..)..

i got an email from the goverment asking my thoughts about EYFS and what i would change etc...

one learning journal for all sectors therefore nurseries n schools have no choice but to recieve all our hard work and continue on with the transitions and partnership working for each child...

i know its nice to have a learning journal that you have made and adapted to suit you but its no good if no one else wants to look at it too...

a pre-school profile to follow EYFS from 0-5 that we all follow and add info and obs etc with space for child's pictures etc

that way we can all work from the same format and help eachother with individual aspects of the learning and development...

green puppy
12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
My lj is a scrap book.
Page 1, " My special book " with child's name and photo and date started.
Page 2, A summery of the 6 areas of learning.
Page 3, " All about me " Sheets with routines, interests, languages, family info, pets etc........
Page 4, Family photos.

I then put in the child's starting points. Then when I take photos I pop them in with captions, put in art or photos of models made etc..... I add little summeries of the child's progress as and when needed, parents are welcome to add holiday photos or other details of what's been done at home. I do "all about me" update sheets every 6 months and pop those in aswell. At the back I have stuck in an a4 envelope, in this I have print outs of the development matters sheets and a sheet for each learning area. I highlight and date the dm grids when I think a child has reached that stage, I then find the relevant learning area sheet and put the date and a sentence or two stating the observation that I have linked to the highlighted part of the dm grid. These are my evidence sheets to show why I think the child is at that stage. The scrap book is then more of a memory book for parents to keep with out loads of eyfs lingo in it. The envelope at the back contains my evidance to show that I am following the eyfs and charting the child's development. These can be passed on to the next care provider and kept if need be. I take lots of "doing" photos that shows the child playing and learning, lots of these are photo obs and the captions say what is happening and how the child was reacting. My daily diaries are also full of obs when I write about the child's day and milestones/ achievements etc....When a diary is full I keep it until the child leaves so I can show ofsted. I feel this is perfectly fine to show that I am meeting the needs of the child.

I wouldn't buy a ready made one, it's much more personal when you create your own. And you will find loads of stuff on here if you want ob forms or planning sheets etc...... Everyone is very helpful!:thumbsup:

Wheelybug
12-09-2010, 02:19 PM
If you instant message me your email address, I'll send you an example of my learning journey.
Cathy

loopyloo79
13-09-2010, 01:51 PM
hi
im in the same sort of position having jst registered and taking my 1st lot of children on this month.
i have - my daughter who is nearly 2, another 2 yr old, a child who is 5 next month and at full time school so is here after school hours only and 2 6 yr olds after school.
i guess its just knowing where to start really.....do i begin a learning journey for the child who is nearly 5 and who is with me roughly 2 hours a day?

i am jst planning to do a scrapbook with the 6 year olds with photos n artwork etc

also my daughter was previously at a private nursery just for 2 mornings a wk for a few months before we moved. i have been given her learning journey from that nursery but to be honest its not very good the way its been done in my opinion that is! what do i do follow on from that one and incorporate it into mine once i get them up and running. or do you think it would be bad of me to start her a totally new 1??? tut tut am i naughty thinking bout doin tht lol

i also am tryin to figure out how to go about the layout n have no idea where to start at the mo :-S

i kno il get there in the end! any comment help would b appriciated - sorry for hijacking your thread hun only thought the replies would help us both ;-)

sarah707
13-09-2010, 05:19 PM
hi
im in the same sort of position having jst registered and taking my 1st lot of children on this month.

Congratulations!

i have - my daughter who is nearly 2, another 2 yr old, a child who is 5 next month and at full time school so is here after school hours only and 2 6 yr olds after school.
i guess its just knowing where to start really.....do i begin a learning journey for the child who is nearly 5 and who is with me roughly 2 hours a day?

The child is in the Eyfs until the end of August (start of year 1 at school.

The learning journey will be a bit thin if s/he is only with you 2 hours a day but the child can take ownership of it, put in pictures and photos etc.

i am jst planning to do a scrapbook with the 6 year olds with photos n artwork etc

That's a good idea

also my daughter was previously at a private nursery just for 2 mornings a wk for a few months before we moved. i have been given her learning journey from that nursery but to be honest its not very good the way its been done in my opinion that is! what do i do follow on from that one and incorporate it into mine once i get them up and running. or do you think it would be bad of me to start her a totally new 1??? tut tut am i naughty thinking bout doin tht lol

You do not have to do a LJ for your own child.

It might be nice to put together memory books - my teenagers love looking at their ones... but it's not a requirement.

i also am tryin to figure out how to go about the layout n have no idea where to start at the mo :-S

Observations followed by links to the Eyfs followed by individual planning ideas.

Note any group activities the child has enjoyed - lots of photos will cover that one.

Where possible get comments from home / school about what s/he likes / doesn't like / does / plays with etc and include those.

i kno il get there in the end! any comment help would b appriciated - sorry for hijacking your thread hun only thought the replies would help us both ;-)

I hope that helps :D

loopyloo79
13-09-2010, 07:10 PM
many thanks for your reply :-D

its helped me understand it all a bit more, i already had these sorts of things in my mind thank goodness but am glad you have confirmed they are the rite sorts of things to include.

am itching to get started now but hv to wait for my printer money etc to get sorted b4 i can start prop. im doin everythin i can tho for now including takin pics of anythin interesting we have been doing :-) louise