PDA

View Full Version : having a new born?

gailee
09-09-2010, 11:57 AM
when can you take on a new born does it have to be 2 weeks old ??? or is there not a limit?? thanks Gail

bexcee
09-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I have searched on the net and all I can find is that a mum can't return to work within two weeks of having a baby but other than that I don't think there is a minimum age at which we could take a baby.

solly
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't think there is an age limit. The youngest i have ever looked after has been 5 weeks old and that was full time. I am hopefully having a baby to look after who will be 2 weeks okd after christmas just for 1 day though as mum has got to go back to college

Mouse
09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't think there is a lower age limit as EYFS is defined as "from birth to 31st August following the child's 5th birthday".
Our certificates state how many children we can care for in the EY age range, so that would mean it can be from birth. If there was a limit, the certificates would need to say so.

cs01
09-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Probably best to check with your public liability insurer to see if your insurance is valid with a newborn, there might be a minimum age with them.

Trouble
09-09-2010, 01:15 PM
there was a woman in the mail today who went back to work after 3 days:eek: :angry:

bexcee
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
there was a woman in the mail today who went back to work after 3 days:eek: :angry:

I could never leave a baby of that age. I struggled packing my son off to school this week and he is 4 :blush:

Kes
09-09-2010, 01:25 PM
As far as I am aware there is no minimum age limit its what you feel comfortable with. When I worked in a nursery our only rule was that they had to have had their first lot of injections before we took them on I think it was to protect the baby and the other children in the setting.

loocyloo
09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
my friend was a nanny to a family and mum went to work in the morning, went to the hospital, had a planned csection, came home the next morning, did some work that afternoon, and was back in work the next day!

mums choice! my poor friend tho! she had baby experience, but not quite so full on newborn !!!

caz3007
09-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I may be wrong, but it makes me feel sad that someone cant spend a little time at home with their new baby. Why have a child, if you cant afford or are unable to stay at home for a couple of months with it

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
09-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Check with your insurence as some companies specify that the child must be a certain age x

HTH

kindredspirits
09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
I may be wrong, but it makes me feel sad that someone cant spend a little time at home with their new baby. Why have a child, if you cant afford or are unable to stay at home for a couple of months with it

i agree - i find the whole idea of someone leaving such a teeny baby heartbreaking but there are always extenuating circumstances and on the whole if the pregnancy was an accident i'd rather see the baby alive than aborted.